Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rogers Wireless, Canada's exclusive service provider for Apple's upcoming iPhone 3G handset, announced Friday that monthly service plans for the new touch-screen handset will start at $60 for 150 anytime minutes, 75 outgoing text messages, and 400 megabytes of internet data.

The wireless carrier said 400MB of data will provide subscribers with "up to 200,000 text emails or 3,100 web pages or 1,360 photo attachments." A $75 plan will include 300 anytime minutes, 100 outgoing text messages and 750MB of data -- good for "up to 380,000 text emails or 5,900 web pages or 2,560 photo attachments."

For $100 per month, Canadian iPhone users get 600 anytime minutes, 200 outgoing text messages and 1GB of data, which should be sufficient for "up to 524,000 text emails or 8,000 web pages or 3,500 photo attachments." Finally, a high-end plan priced at $115 per month offers 800 anytime minutes, 300 outgoing text messages and 2GB of data -- good for " up to 1,048,000 text emails or 16,000 web pages or 7,000 photo attachments."

All price plans require a three-year contract and include unlimited weekend and evening minutes, unlimited Visual Voicemail, and unlimited incoming text messages. Each plan also includes free Wi-Fi access at all Rogers and Fido hotspots.

Separately, Rogers will offer two voice value packs for popular wireless features: a $15 monthly value pack including Caller ID, Who Called, Caller Ring Trax, 2,500 Sent Text Messages and 2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes; and a $20 monthly value pack including Caller ID, Who Called, Caller Ring Trax, 10,000 Sent Text Messages and 6:00 p.m. Early Evening Calling and 2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes.

Rogers Wireless iPhone 3G Price Plans

Data Usage - What You Get

Fido, Canada's fourth largest wireless provider and Rogers partner also announced Friday that it will offer an identical set of iPhone 3G service plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Since when is caller ID given space on a feature sheet?
  • Reply 2 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That is actually good for Rogers.

Now why can't AT&T include SMS as part of the data. I have a feeling a class action is brewing with the US price gouging of text messages among its main carriers.
  • Reply 3 of 146
    webheadwebhead Posts: 75member
    This doesn't seem too bad, but still too expensive for me. If the basic package was $40.00/month I would definitely get an iPhone next month, but I think I'll wait until the monthly rates come down. I really don't see why we have to pay a monthly fee for internet access on our home computers and on our wireless phones as well. I'm only paying for the internet once, paying twice for the same service is just nuts!

Is there a device out there that can broadcast your wi-fi connection from your home computer strong enough to cover your own home city, or is that just dreaming?
  • Reply 4 of 146
    Since when is "incoming SMS" given space on a feature sheet?
  • Reply 5 of 146
    restalotrestalot Posts: 77member
    Don't forget about the $8/month "system access fee" (= Ted Rogers 'bet I fooled you to think this was a gov't surcharge' Stupidity tax)

And the $0.50 911 access fee's...

So the basic plan with Caller ID (who doesn't want/deserve caller ID?!?) is:

$60 Base Fee

$15 Caller ID (and other less know/unused features)

$8 Ted Roger's Stupidity Tax

$0.50 911 Fee

======

$83.50 /mo

+ 5% GST

+ 7% PST (depends on province)

======

$93.52/mo

x 3years

======

$3,366.72

Old Teddy will be very happy.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Wow. I knew Rogers was going to hose us, but even I didn't think it would be that bad.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

This doesn't seem too bad, but still too expensive for me. If the basic package was $40.00/month I would definitely get an iPhone next month, but I think I'll wait until the monthly rates come down. I really don't see why we have to pay a monthly fee for internet access on our home computers and on our wireless phones as well. I'm only paying for the internet once, paying twice for the same service is just nuts!

Is there a device out there that can broadcast your wi-fi connection from your home computer strong enough to cover your own home city, or is that just dreaming?

Yeah, despite how "revolutionary" this pricing is for Rogers, it still pretty much sucks. This is what happens when you allow for monopolies in areas of the economy that should really be "given" services.

The base package is $60, but with system access fees and taxes you are still talking more like $75 bucks a month. If you have any overages or roaming fees, then more like $85 or even a hundred. And that's for the cheapest package, and for what? A phone.

I also still have to pay $40 a month to the monopolist land-line phone company for a line I don't even use. And I still have to pay $90 or so to the monopolist cable company just to watch TV.

There is no reason, given the actual costs of providing them, that these services could not be priced at about a quarter of what they are now and if there was some kind of competition in the market they would drop to that in a week. I'm not opposed to people making money but why as a society we allow monopolistic companies to prey on people in this way is beyond me.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Looks like Rogers would cost me the same as AT&T except with AT&T I actually get a bit more.

450 mins + Unlimited Data + Unlimited Texts = $90

Rogers

300 mins + 700MB of Data + the $15 plan for 2,500 texts = $90

I think those 150 mins are huge tho. Looks like those in the US aren't the only ones getting the shaft on this deal.

As far as the incoming text message thing - I think that'd be great as it would cut my text message usage nearly in half... Then I might not need the unlimited package, just the 1500 package from AT&T (AT&T counts each text message, incoming or outgoing, against your allotment)
  • Reply 9 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is actually good for Rogers.

Now why can't AT&T include SMS as part of the data. I have a feeling a class action is brewing with the US price gouging of text messages among its main carriers.

Did you see the prices Rogers is charging? They ARE charging extra for SMS. And there is no unlimited data plan with Rogers. Rogers is the definition of price gouging. All of the Canadian carriers are ridiculous. Look at the minute and data limitations for the above price points.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    And I thought AT&T was bending customers over....
  • Reply 11 of 146
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Is it possible to use the data mode only in Wi-Fi mode, without using the 3G data mode? If I could do that, then it would allow me to pay something more reasonable and then limit my data uses to where there are Wi-Fi hot spots.
  • Reply 12 of 146
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

And I thought AT&T was bending customers over....

Yeah, enough articles saying the US has it worse than other countries in the cellphone industry... we may not be as good as east Asia, but we're a far sight better than Canada!
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Not to mention it's only available on a 3 year contract. 2 would be fine with me, but as much as I want an Iphone there's no way I'd sign that.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Yeah, despite how "revolutionary" this pricing is for Rogers, it still pretty much sucks. This is what happens when you allow for monopolies in areas of the economy that should really be "given" services.

The base package is $60, but with system access fees and taxes you are still talking more like $75 bucks a month. If you have any overages or roaming fees, then more like $85 or even a hundred. And that's for the cheapest package, and for what? A phone.

I also still have to pay $40 a month to the monopolist land-line phone company for a line I don't even use. And I still have to pay $90 or so to the monopolist cable company just to watch TV.

There is no reason, given the actual costs of providing them, that these services could not be priced at about a quarter of what they are now and if there was some kind of competition in the market they would drop to that in a week. I'm not opposed to people making money but why as a society we allow monopolistic companies to prey on people in this way is beyond me.

Agreeded, would I pay a separate electric bill to charge my cell phone? No. So why do I have to pay for home inetrnet access and cell phone internet access??? Plus add to that cost the yearly cost of mobileme.com. I think I'll hope that free wi-fi access makes it to Edmonton soon, then I can use an iPod Touch for email and internet, because getting dinged twice for the same service is bogus!!!
  • Reply 15 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Since when is caller ID given space on a feature sheet?

Caller ID is a separately billed feature with every major Canadian wireless carrier, at least in Atlantic Canada. For their prepaid plans, last time I looked into it, most of the carriers generally threw in caller ID automatically, but for their contract plans they usually don't include it in the advertised plan price and charge extra to add it.
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Wow. A friend of mine said Rogers is a criminal... I didn't believe him until I saw these prices.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheatieheel View Post

Did you see the prices Rogers is charging? They ARE charging extra for SMS. And there is no unlimited data plan with Rogers. Rogers is the definition of price gouging. All of the Canadian carriers are ridiculous. Look at the minute and data limitations for the above price points.

It looked like SMS was counted as data.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    whuzzawhuzza Posts: 4member
    I'm a Rogers Wireless customer and I'm currently paying $65 CND/month for 1GB data access on EDGE on my iPhone. No, there is no cheaper plan, even though I only use 15-20 MB of data per month.

Without a plan, Rogers charges a ridiculous $30.72 per 1 MB.

Therefore, a $60 plan that includes 400 MB on 3G with 150 minutes, unlimited evening (9PM? Bah.) and weekends is a decent deal for the only GSM provider in Canada. It even includes voicemail, which used to be a $7 add-on.

Unfortunately, the new scheme forces people who want Caller ID to pay an additional $20/month. Rogers has never offered just Caller ID as a separate add-on.

Quote:

it possible to use the data mode only in Wi-Fi mode, without using the 3G data mode? If I could do that, then it would allow me to pay something more reasonable and then limit my data uses to where there are Wi-Fi hot spots.

With the current iPhone, yes. The data access gateway for EDGE (APN) is "internet.com" for Rogers Wireless. (Settings -> General -> Network -> EDGE -> APN)

If you change this value, the iPhone will not be able to connect via EDGE. However, you can still connect to any Wi-Fi hotspot.

However, you will not be able to buy an Apple iPhone 3G without a phone plan. You're forced to sign on a minimum of $60/month 3-year plan to buy the iPhone at the $199/$299 price.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    add in the cost of mobileme.com as well, because you'll want to sync all your stuff with your computer too.
  • Reply 20 of 146
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Here is the actual press release for Fido:

http://prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/storie...4840127&EDATE=

So, what does this mean for those of us on EPP plans or other nonstandard voice plans? Since it doesn't appear they will be offering data on top of existing voice plans, will we have to give up our current plans? That would be complete shit.

ihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihater ogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersi haterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihatero gersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersih aterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterog ersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersiha terogersihaterogersihaterogersihaterogersihateroge rsihaterogers

And from Rogers site:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi..._data_packages