iPhone 3G launch info roundup: Europe, India, South America

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A flurry of information about Apple's iPhone 3G launches in key parts of the world has surfaced on Thursday, including when Belgium will announce its iPhone release date, pre-registrations and even pre-orders are taking place in multiple countries, and more than one carrier has accidentally slipped rough details of its iPhone service plans.

Belgium to learn more iPhone details soon

While Belgium wasn't included in the initial batch of 22 countries receiving iPhone 3G on July 11th, residents won't have long to wait until they learn when they can buy the device themselves, says a report from the country's news outlet De Redactie.

The exclusive Belgian carrier, Mobistar, plans to announce issue a release date on July 4th, with the actual launch to take place sometime during the summer.

Pre-registrations take place in Colombia, Germany, India

Meanwhile, potential iPhone subscribers in two countries scheduled to receive the Apple handset later in the year now have the option to receive updates.

Colombians, who will get the phone through COMCEL, can sign up on a teaser page to be called or e-mailed when more information on the iPhone is available.

Simultaneously, Indians can pre-register through Vodafone, either through a website or through a text message to the carrier.

The most elaborate signup campaign, however, is taking place in Germany.

T-Mobile in its home country has started taking registrations through its official iPhone website. Customers can pick a particular iPhone model and plan and register the choices with T-Mobile to streamline the launch on July 11th.

Mexico, Sweden providers leak iPhone plans

Mexicans and Swedes are now aware of some details of their iPhone plans, even if the relevant carriers haven't made any official announcements.

Extracted, hidden code from Telcel's website (obtained by Ayudamemac) reveals four contract plans for Mexican iPhone users: $36 US, $49 US, $59 US, and $79 US plans offer between 200 and 700 minutes per month respectively along with between 100 to 250 SMS text messages.

However, only the top plan offers unlimited data; the lesser plans are capped at between 100MB to 200MB of data per month.

The iPhones themselves are also purportedly more expensive, with the least expensive plan asking a customer to pay the equivalent of $311 US for an 8GB iPhone. That same phone is free on the $79 monthly plan, while the 16GB model sells for $433 on a basic plan and $122 on the top plan.

In a less complete leak, TeliaSonera Sweden has inadvertently posted its own page which lists three plans.

The page has only placeholders for the prices of each plan and the phone itself, but indicates that an iMidi plan will have just 100 minutes of call time per month, 100 SMS messages, and 100MB of data. An iMidi plan offers 250 minutes, 250 messages, and 250MB of data, while an iMaxi plan quadruples all of these to 1000 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Aaaah damnit! I read "Belgium" and thought "finally some real news about the launch" but the the link goes to news we already know for weeks now : Mobistar has a date where they will announce the date of release

I can win an iPhone on belgian radio before mobistar will be able to release the iPhone. Read: Apple has chosen the cheapest carrier (cheapest as in least service) in Belgium to work with. Mobistar is the only network in Belgium with no full 3G coverage. But Mobistar is an affiliate to Orange (the ones with most most money on the EU table) For the first time in history Apple customers in Belgium will be introduced with an Apple product wich lacks service and/or features.

I'm very glad the iPhones will be sold unlocked in Belgium, I don't care for the price, I just want a service that is better than the one in the US. Belgium has 100% 3G coverage, only Mobistar hasn't. I'm not waiting for a newbie to carry my iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I'm very glad the iPhones will be sold unlocked in Belgium, I don't care for the price, I just want a service that is better than the one in the US. Belgium has 100% 3G coverage, only Mobistar hasn't. I'm not waiting for a newbie to carry my iPhone.

The Belgium anti-bundling law will be gone soon. The appeal hearing was last wednesday at the European Court of Justice --- most likely the court will rule that the Belgium law is incompatible to EC 2005 directives.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The Belgium anti-bundling law will be gone soon. The appeal hearing was last wednesday at the European Court of Justice --- most likely the court will rule that the Belgium law is incompatible to EC 2005 directives.

you can see here the apple iphone on a Brazilian carrier Claro (http://www.claro.com.br/iphone)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    karpe!karpe! Posts: 1member
    Optimus, one of the portuguese carriers, has quite a nice looking website too for the iphone.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    oristeoriste Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Belgium wasn't included in the initial batch of 22 countries receiving iPhone 3G on July 11th,...

I hate to disagree, but Belgium was included in the 22 countries, see the SJ keynote at 1:40:11 in the top right corner, just above the Netherlands.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

There are totally no intentions to remove the anti-bundling law in Belgium. The law will still be there when the iPhone arrives.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    niko_nniko_n Posts: 1member
    http://www.sonera.fi/Puhelin%20ja%20liittym%E4/Hinnat There are prices for Finnish iPhone... Seems like we have better prices than Swedes have.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

There are totally no intentions to remove the anti-bundling law in Belgium. The law will still be there when the iPhone arrives.

There are 2 Belgium cases that have appealed up to the European Court of Justice on whether Belgium's anti-bundling law is against EU's consumer protection laws (the cases were heard on June 18, 2008).

Quote:

"The top European court is expected to rule on whether Belgium's prohibition against bundling the sales violates an EU consumer-protection law. Apple would be able to offer exclusive contracts if the court rules against Belgium."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/...ogy/iphone.php

Galatea BVBA v. Sanoma Magazines Belgium NV

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...23:0023:EN:PDF

VTB-VAB NV v. Total Belgium NV

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...18:0018:EN:PDF

Meanwhile, a Belgium law firm specializing in IT laws stated that Belgium is thinking about repealing the anti-bundling law.

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/B...08-100213A.pdf

page 2

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/B...08-175531A.pdf

page 4
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

There are 2 Belgium cases that have appealed up to the European Court of Justice on whether Belgium's anti-bundling law is against EU's consumer protection laws (the cases were heard on June 18, 2008).

Quote:

"The top European court is expected to rule on whether Belgium's prohibition against bundling the sales violates an EU consumer-protection law. Apple would be able to offer exclusive contracts if the court rules against Belgium."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/...ogy/iphone.php

Galatea BVBA v. Sanoma Magazines Belgium NV

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...23:0023:EN:PDF

VTB-VAB NV v. Total Belgium NV

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...18:0018:EN:PDF

Meanwhile, a Belgium law firm specializing in IT laws stated that Belgium is thinking about repealing the anti-bundling law.

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/B...08-100213A.pdf

page 2

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/B...08-175531A.pdf

page 4

Think you don't really understand that national laws can't be just undone because a EU court would rule against such a law. The Belgian government will appeal. iPhone will be sold unlocked in Belgium, Italy and France.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Think you don't really understand that national laws can't be just undone because a EU court would rule against such a law. The Belgian government will appeal. iPhone will be sold unlocked in Belgium, Italy and France.

Read the Belgium IT law firm's newsletter --- the Belgium government isn't going to appeal, they are thinking about killing the law as well.

Several websites have said that Vodafone is going to sell the iphone in Italy unlocked --- but I don't speak Italian and these websites use babelfish to auto translate, so I don't know their accuracy. But Italian carriers don't have to sell unlocked phones.

http://www.telecomsitaly.com/2006/05...imlock_me.html
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Read the Belgium IT law firm's newsletter --- the Belgium government isn't going to appeal, they are thinking about killing the law as well.

Several websites have said that Vodafone is going to sell the iphone in Italy unlocked --- but I don't speak Italian and these websites use babelfish to auto translate, so I don't know their accuracy. But Italian carriers don't have to sell unlocked phones.

http://www.telecomsitaly.com/2006/05...imlock_me.html

I know that letter and it's the opinion of one writer! If the government won't appeal some organisations like test aankoop will, because Belgian consumers know they are better off with this law.

Anyway don't expect the Belgian gov to quickly pass a new law as they have other things on their mind now than iPhones.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I know that letter and it's the opinion of one writer! If the government won't appeal some organisations like test aankoop will, because Belgian consumers know they are better off with this law.

Anyway don't expect the Belgian gov to quickly pass a new law as they have other things on their mind now than iPhones.

In the April newsletter, the law firm stated that Belgium ministers gave out a policy note that accepted the consultant's position. It is not an opinion of one writer, it is a fact that a Belgium ministry published a policy note accepting the consultant's position.

I agree with you --- the Belgium coalition gov't can't even agree on a budget and is going into a election soon, nothing is going to be done. Which is a double edge sword --- when the European Court of Justice hands out its judgment, there is no Belgium government in place to decide whether or not to appeal (and the policy note means that their current position is not to appeal).

But one thing you should remember --- this issue has nothing to do with the mobile phones. The 2 lawsuits were from a magazine company and a petro-chemical company.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

In the April newsletter, the law firm stated that Belgium ministers gave out a policy note that accepted the consultant's position. It is not an opinion of one writer, it is a fact that a Belgium ministry published a policy note accepting the consultant's position.

I agree with you --- the Belgium coalition gov't can't even agree on a budget and is going into a election soon, nothing is going to be done. Which is a double edge sword --- when the European Court of Justice hands out its judgment, there is no Belgium government in place to decide whether or not to appeal (and the policy note means that their current position is not to appeal).

But one thing you should remember --- this issue has nothing to do with the mobile phones. The 2 lawsuits were from a magazine company and a petro-chemical company.

Well it would be a very dumb move because the iPhone and bundled sales are very good example of how a government would let big companies screw their voters. It's something the opposition can really explain to voters much better than why they are arguing about language differences. It's very easy to explain to people why they pay more for subsidised phones. Not something voters will gladly hear.

Thing is that no-one ever said to my knowledge that they are in favour of ruling out that law. What I heard so far is that they wonder how it's possible that companies like Apple can decide in wich countries in the EU you can buy AND use a product. Minister Q (the one responsible for the matter) even wondered how it's possible that he can buy an iPhone in europe and that Apple can void his warranty. He never said he would be glad to have to change carriers to use his iPhone.

Like I said don't get you hopes to high for locked phones in Belgium. A lot has still to happen before we see companies pulls stunts like that overhere.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Well it would be a very dumb move because the iPhone and bundled sales are very good example of how a government would let big companies screw their voters. It's something the opposition can really explain to voters much better than why they are arguing about language differences. It's very easy to explain to people why they pay more for subsidised phones. Not something voters will gladly hear.

Thing is that no-one ever said to my knowledge that they are in favour of ruling out that law. What I heard so far is that they wonder how it's possible that companies like Apple can decide in wich countries in the EU you can buy AND use a product. Minister Q (the one responsible for the matter) even wondered how it's possible that he can buy an iPhone in europe and that Apple can void his warranty. He never said he would be glad to have to change carriers to use his iPhone.

Like I said don't get you hopes to high for locked phones in Belgium. A lot has still to happen before we see companies pulls stunts like that overhere.

As I said earlier, the lawsuits have nothing to do with the mobile phones.

If the law is stricken down --- then your food cost is going to be lower, your fuel cost is going to be lower... A million things will cost lower, and you worry about your mobile phone costing higher.

Go and read the lawsuits --- no mention about mobile phones or Apple (or Microsoft bundling Windows on computers). Go and read the policy note --- no mention about mobile phones or Apple (or Microsoft bundling Windows on computers).