iPhone 3G plans start at $50 in Sweden, $80 in Norway

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sweden's TeliaSonera said Friday that monthly service plans for Apple's iPhone 3G will start at $50 (299 SEK), while Netcom Norway announced that its own customers will have to pay a minimum of $80 (NOK 399) each month.

Sweden

TeliaSonera said iPhone 3G services plans will start at $50 USD (299 SEK) for the "iMini" plan that will include 100 minutes, 100 SMS messages, and 100 MB of data. Customers who choose the iMini plan and agree to an 18-month contract with the carrier can purchase the 8GB version of the handset for $415 USD (2495 SEK) or the 16GB for $550 (3295 SEK). However, opting for a 24-month contract will reduce the cost of the 8GB model to $280 (1695 SEK) and the 16GB model to $415 (2495 SEK).

A $80 (489 SEK) "iMidi" plan offers 250 minutes, 250 SMS messages, and 250 MB of data. Customers who choose this option along with an 18-month contract can purchase the 8GB iPhone for $315 (1895 SEK) and the 16GB model for $450 (2695 SEK). With a 24-month contract, the 8GB model drops to $165 (995 SEK) and the 16GB to $300 (1795 SEK).

A high-end "iMaxi" service plans fetches $145 (859 SEK) and includes 1000 minutes, 1000 SMS messages, and 1000MB of data. When combined with an 18-month contract customers can pick up an 8GB iPhone for $235 (1395 SEK) or a 16GB iPhone for $365 (2195 SEK). However, stepping up to the 24-month contract reduces the cost of the 8GB model to just 15 cents (1 SEK) and the 16GB model to $130 (795 SEK).

Norway

Over in Norway, Netcom announced that its own iPhone 3G services plans will start at $80 (NOR 399) for a "Small" plan that includes 100 minutes, SMS messages, and megabytes of data each month. Customers who sign up for the small plan can purchase an 8GB iPhone 3G for $280 (NOR 1390) or a 16GB model for $461 (NOR 2290).

Netcom's $140 "Medium" plan includes 250 minutes, SMS messages, and megabytes of data each month. With this plan, an 8GB iPhone costs $139 (NOR 690) and the 16GB model costs $320 (NOR 1590).

A "Large" plan priced at $221 each month includes 1000 minutes, SMS messages, and megabytes of data. Customers who choose this plan receive an 8GB iPhone 3G for just $0.20 (or NOR 1) and can upgrade to a 16GB model for $179 (NOR 890).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    stuhowestuhowe Posts: 16member
    Good lord - are these guys owned by rogers Canada?? Or is Sweden similar to Canada in that it has near monopolistic carriers and no competition?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    As I see each of these plans get announced, I can't help but shake my head at the mobile industry in general. Ten years after cell phones have become pretty commonplace, they still detail you out to minutes and kilobytes. It's quite sad.

On that note, it seems that AT&T is the only company to not yet announce their sentences...er..I mean plans.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

As I see each of these plans get announced, I can't help but shake my head at the mobile industry in general. Ten years after cell phones have become pretty commonplace, they still detail you out to minutes and kilobytes. It's quite sad.

On that note, it seems that AT&T is the only company to not yet announce their sentences...er..I mean plans.

Well, you've gotta fund universal healthcare and fantastic public services somehow...

But for the record O2 Ireland have yet to release updated plans either. Though I'll admit that the Swedish, Norwegian and even French offerings have me feeling much better about the [not so hot] existing ones...
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuhowe View Post

Good lord - are these guys owned by rogers Canada?? Or is Sweden similar to Canada in that it has near monopolistic carriers and no competition?

It's ridiculous. The total cost will end up between $1300 (or 7800 SEK) and $3450 (or 20500 SEK) according to a calculation by Nyteknik. This is way beyond Steve's $199/$299. Beside this, the good news for Swedish people is that you can use the iPhone with any plan Telia offers (currently a cheap flat rate for $100/month with unlimited calls and data traffic). There's a lot of competetion in Sweden but unfortunately none when it comes to the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    I think it's funny how the danish prices arn't mentioned... (www.telia.dk/iphone) It's crazy! they want me to cough up 599 DKK ( US $ 126,-) a month...AFTER an initial 1399 DKK (approx. $295 - 8GB) or 1999 DKK ($422 - 16GB) And they have just been rewarded by a danish newspaper as the country's most crappy "Mobile Broadband" operator! I just hope that 3 (three) announces that they will start selling it too soon.

What is this world getting to...
  • Reply 6 of 49
    I should also note that this is based on a 6 month subscription (don't know what the maximum limit in Norway and Sweden are, should check it, I know), but it still leaves the iPhone at a minimum price of 4993 DKK (US $1053,-(!)) and 5593 DKK (US $1179,-). I still think they are ripping future customers with their "offer"...

My 2c
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Well in Denmark we also got the price today... We will be giving 295$ for the 8GB iPhone and 422$ for the 16GB iPhone...

The Plan is as following:

Price per month: 599 kr,- (126$)

Price per month after 6 month: 399 kr,- (84$)

Talktime to other Telia mobiles: Free

Talktime to landline: Free

Talktime for other mobiles: 300 min.

Data plan per month: 300MB

SMS: Free

HomerRun: Free (Telia hotspots)

Price per min. after the 300 min.: 0,99 kr,- (0.2$)

Data price after the 300 MB: 1.25 kr,- per MB (3$)

Some says it's madness but all I care about is getting an iPhone with warrenty that I can update as soon as the are there And by the way... It's only 6 months
  • Reply 8 of 49
    It would be ideal, if not cheaper, to travel to USA, buy an iPhone with AT&T for $299, wait 1 month until you can terminate it, pay $175 in termination fee, jailbreak it (i give it 1 week after release until it will be available), travel back and use it with your favorite carrier, which currently isn't Telia. Why don't Apple just ship the iPhone to several carriers if they only get $199/$299 from each phone? Wouldn't this maximize their financial profit? The big issue with 1st generation iPhone was that people thought it was expensive. Has anything changed since then?
  • Reply 9 of 49
    I think the most sad part of what you mentioned there (and I mentioned just prior to you ) is the 300 MB maximum data traffic...it's insanely low! Especially if I want to use my iPhone as my laptops mobile boadband modem (there were rumors that iPhone 3G or iPhone OS 2.0 would be getting this). In comparison 3 offers unlimited traffic for 299,- DKK (US $ 63) a month with 7.2 Mb/s speeds and with much better 3G coverage than Telia Denmark.

But yeah..here's for hoping that other danish carriers are going to be revealed not too long after the initial launch here in Denmark.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sverkel View Post

Well in Denmark we also got the price today... We will be giving 295$ for the 8GB iPhone and 422$ for the 16GB iPhone...

The Plan is as following:

Price per month: 599 kr,- (126$)

Price per month after 6 month: 399 kr,- (84$)

Talktime to other Telia mobiles: Free

Talktime to landline: Free

Talktime for other mobiles: 300 min.

Data plan per month: 300MB

SMS: Free

HomerRun: Free (Telia hotspots)

Price per min. after the 300 min.: 0,99 kr,- (0.2$)

Data price after the 300 MB: 1.25 kr,- per MB (3$)

Some says it's madness but all I care about is getting an iPhone with warrenty that I can update as soon as the are there And by the way... It's only 6 months

• Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexxcream View Post

It would be ideal, if not cheaper, to travel to USA, buy an iPhone with AT&T for $299, wait 1 month until you can terminate it, pay $175 in termination fee, jailbreak it (i give it 1 week after release until it will be available), travel back and use it with your favorite carrier, which currently isn't Telia. Why don't Apple just ship the iPhone to several carriers if they only get $199/$299 from each phone? Wouldn't this maximize their financial profit? The big issue with 1st generation iPhone was that people thought it was expensive. Has anything changed since then?

Call me crazy... But I DON'T want my iPhone to be JailBreaket
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marsattack View Post

I think the most sad part of what you mentioned there (and I mentioned just prior to you ) is the 300 MB maximum data traffic...it's insanely low! Especially if I want to use my iPhone as my laptops mobile boadband modem (there were rumors that iPhone 3G or iPhone OS 2.0 would be getting this). In comparison 3 offers unlimited traffic for 299,- with 7.2 Mb/s speeds and with much better 3G coverage than Telia Denmark. But yeah..here's for hoping that other danish carriers are going to be revealed not too long after the initial launch here in Denmark.

You are missing something... I don't for a sec. belive that I will be using all 300MB in one month!

I will only use it to get some mails and read the news via RSS when i'm not with Wi-Fi...

And I don't think that the "normal" user in Denmark will use over the 300MB either Only the ones that are REALY Geeks (you know i'm kidding)

But if you don't like then don't buy it

Btw... Taler du Dansk?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

Call me crazy... But I DON'T want my iPhone to be JailBreaket

Neither do I to be completely honest. However, it makes me wonder since I'm moving from Sweden to be in USA during the rest of the year if I can buy an iPhone in USA and bring it back to Sweden. Would it be possible to make it work in Sweden? Answer: doubtful, but no. Would it be able to connect it to Telia and make it work from there? Answer: do we really want to? The prices are just insane!
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:

Neither do I to be completely honest. However, it makes me wonder since I'm moving from Sweden to be in USA during the rest of the year if I can buy an iPhone in USA and bring it back to Sweden. Would it be possible to make it work in Sweden? Answer: doubtful, but no. Would it be able to connect it to Telia and make it work from there? Answer: do we really want to? The prices are just insane!

Hehe... I get what you are saying But then can't you just get the plan closed after one month and then get it unlocked (leagily) so you could use it with what ever you wan't back in Sweden?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Selfølgelig taler jeg da dansk, men jeg er ikke dansker (kommer fra nogle øgrupper ude i nordatlanten, you know ). Måske ikke alle vil bruge de 300 MB, men jeg synes nu ikke det er svært, heller ikke for "de andre" ikke nørder...facebook, messenger (må komme oficielt før eller siden (september lyder meget sandsynligt efter Apple's planer), upload af kæreste, fest og "kjole" billeder ville feks. for piger hurtigt sluge mere end de angivne 300 max. Men hvad ved jeg...tror mindre end hvad Telia ved ang. eksisterende iPhone brugeres forbrug på deres netwærk...
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Hehe... I get what you are saying But then can't you just get the plan closed after one month and then get it unlocked (leagily) so you could use it with what ever you wan't back in Sweden?

That's one of the remaning questions to be answered. All I know is that it will be possible to buy a contract with AT&T (16 gb model) for $299 + $70-80/month + $175 termination fee, so the total cost would theoretically be: $550 dollar (3300 SEK or 2600 DKK). This raise another question, will Telia apply the same rule to its contract? That is to say, will you be able to terminate it or get in unlocked? For how much? Hopefully we'll found out soon enough.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Why don't Apple just ship the iPhone to several carriers if they only get $199/$299 from each phone? Wouldn't this maximize their financial profit? The big issue with 1st generation iPhone was that people thought it was expensive. Has anything changed since then?

So you think Apple is getting oinly $199/$299 for each iPhone?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    What are the non iPhone plans in Canada, Sweden, Norway, etc.? Any difference? Are they more or less then what is offered now if all the minutes and data plans were added together and applied for some other smart phone?

I read from these posts that the monopolistic practices these carriers are practicing are "raping" the customers, etc. Fortunately no one is forced to purchase the iPhone and carrier calling plan and if the absurd pricing is true then the market will show its displeasure because the buying public will not buy if it is not a good deal. Kind of like the disappointing sales figures in the UK and Germany because of the high price and lack of 3G of the iPhone itself, let alone the calling plans. I mean some people will buy but the masses won't until the pricing comes down and the buying public think they are getting a good deal.

I am curious to know, however, if a monopolistic carrier asks for a certain price amount because there is no competition but with competition "price wars" would ensue to make pricing lower, then how can an employee of one, ask their employer for a raise when their boss has resumes of competition looking to do that same job? I guess it's just one of life's little mysteries.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So you think Apple is getting oinly $199/$299 for each iPhone?

I would be happy if you could enlighten me with full details!
  • Reply 19 of 49
    audunraudunr Posts: 1member
    Non-Scandinavian readers should note that it's very uncommon to pay this much per month for a mobile subscription in Norway and Sweden.

Still, with 100 minutes, 100 SMS and 100 MB per month the price is quite good if you use up all of that. But it's just because 100MB would cost you a lot of money if you didn't have some sort of special subscription. The cost of 100 minutes and 100 SMS makes up about 1/4 of the subscription fee of the cheapest subscription in Norway (399 NOK).

The problem with these iPhone subscriptions is that you have to pay the monthly fee no matter what your usage pattern is. And that is very untypical of the Scandinavian mobile subscription market.

Sure, there are subscriptions here where you pay so-and-so much and get to call X minutes (typically a lot more than a 100...), but those are not tied to a particular phone.

It's like the Scandinavian winners of Apple's iPhone lottery forgot what kind of market they're operating in. This is not the U.S., where people have phones with disabled Bluetooth so they have to pay to get new ringtones.

People here expect to be able to buy a phone, pick whatever subscription they want (and according to the law must be able to do so) and use it as little or as much as they want.

Audun
  • Reply 20 of 49
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

Sure they have. $199/$299 for the phone and $30 for the data plan. The only thing they are still mum about is the text messaging - are there any included? Either way the unlimited plan is going to be $20. And regular voice plans obviously. Compared to some (UK, France) AT&T is dishing out the shaft but compared to others (Sweden, Norway, Canada) it looks like not too bad of a deal.

Real shame that Apple doesn't have the power to tell them what they can charge for a monthly plan - given the way they have fought to maintain the 99 cent pricing for songs on iTunes despite continued inflation for the past 4+ years I'd bet they'd give us a pretty decent deal...