Solving the mystery of Snow Leopard's shrinking apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    I found all designer.nib file on my disk (sudo find /* -name designer.nib) and added up the sizes - Just over 600MB.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    g.moneyg.money Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post

VERY interesting. From the Get Info dialog, I removed all of Mail's languages except English. Then I ran a terminal script to remove all of the designable.nib files from Mail.app. My Mail app is now 14.3 MB, and works great. Impressive space savings. If Snow Leopard does some file compression as well, the file sizes could be significantly improved. I know disk space is cheap these days...but still, why take up all that space unnecessarily?

wow. i just did the same strategy for deleting localizations and cleared 1.3GB of space! amazing. i felt much more comfortable doing it via get info than monolingual.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    How is this a mystery? It's been obvious all along that the apps in 10.6 are smaller due to getting rid of non-essential localization files (something many of us have already been doing for years). The fact that Snow Leopard is going to be Intel-only will also allow removal of PPC code. From what I've heard that hasn't been done yet in the developer preview, but no doubt it will shrink things down further.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

How is this a mystery? It's been obvious all along that the apps in 10.6 are smaller due to getting rid of non-essential localization files (something many of us have already been doing for years). The fact that Snow Leopard is going to be Intel-only will also allow removal of PPC code. From what I've heard that hasn't been done yet in the developer preview, but no doubt it will shrink things down further.

Snow Leopard *may* be Intel only. May.

And, as discussed above, the actual binary executables are generally a small fraction of the total disk space used by an app.

Further yes, but only a % point or few.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    It would seem that the credit for any improvements in Snow Leopard are more to Apple stopping bad practices than inventing new good ones.

Now if only they'd do the same to the GUI. Starting with Finder, the Dock and Spotlight.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    dvhdvh Posts: 9member
    Just deleting the superfluous language files in Leopard Safari 3.1.1 drops the package size from 60+ meg to 9.2 meg.

Also, same problem with Adobe apps. Don't use Monolingual. Adobe updaters stop mid-update if the original installation is modified. Only option is to reinstall from scratch.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

so is smaller size mean faster running?

exactly. this may be useful to save space on the iphone, but on computers? people use 500 GB HDs or much more. HD prices fall almost as fast as memory does. so if the apps are not faster that I doubt, this 'feature' does not make much difference.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

exactly. this may be useful to save space on the iphone, but on computers? people use 500 GB HDs or much more. HD prices fall almost as fast as memory does. so if the apps are not faster that I doubt, this 'feature' does not make much difference.

It does when you move to solid state drives. Even if the drives were the same size, more open space = more space for rotating writes = longer drive life.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Leopard users tight on disk space can safely delete all of the designable.nib files stored within their apps and use a tool such as Monolingual or Northern Softworks Leopard Cache Cleaner to remove unused foreign language files, resulting in a free weight reduction without the wait.

Great article! Thanks for the reference to Monolingual or Leopard Cache Cleaner.

It's great to have an article which describes a problem, but goes the additional step of including the solution. Great work! Thanks to the author.

• Reply 30 of 71
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g.money View Post

wow. i just did the same strategy for deleting localizations and cleared 1.3GB of space! amazing. i felt much more comfortable doing it via get info than monolingual.

Hi g.money. I have heard of get info ( I think), what is it exactly and does it remove all the localization files.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    You suggest binary plists have to be decompressed. I'd say you're wrong, and that binary plists are probably faster than xml plists as they can be read straight in without going through a full XML parser.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMadMilkman View Post

It does when you move to solid state drives. Even if the drives were the same size, more open space = more space for rotating writes = longer drive life.

Is there any information on the life of flash memory. This is going to become very cogent in the near future. I am already holding a lot of pre-backup material on large capacity USB flash drives.

You seem to be saying it is only good for a certain number of wipes and rewrites. Exactly what sort of practical storage life do these thing have?
  • Reply 33 of 71
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Make sure you dumped the files from your trash or they won't disappear and your restore may have been for nothing

They were deleted by the rm command, so I'm quite certain they're gone.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandana View Post

Well, this is not really revolutionery. In fact Xslimmer and few other applications already does this in Leopard. If you try that you'd be amazed by how much garbage you have dumped on your (paid) mac's hard drive space without ever knowing that,

I presumably have saved few GBs on my application volume.

Same here! XSlimmer rocks!
  • Reply 35 of 71
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Is there any information on the life of flash memory. This is going to become very cogent in the near future. I am already holding a lot of pre-backup material on large capacity USB flash drives.

You seem to be saying it is only good for a certain number of wipes and rewrites. Exactly what sort of practical storage life do these thing have?

With most flash memory it's said that each block can be written 100,000+ times. The memory uses wear levelling so that blocks are all 'worn down' at roughly the same speed. How that actually works in real life depends very much on the application. If you were to write backups to flash every day and fill up the card, in theory you'd be able to do that 100,000+ times. You may have issues if you write a lot of small files very often - flash has to blank an entire block each time it writes, so small files are inefficient in this sense as many unused bytes are 'worn down' even though they contained no data before.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Limitations
  • Reply 36 of 71
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    To those of you deleting files randomly from your computer:

When you start to do things like remove .NIB files, extraneous language files, Power PC code, etc., you are likely breaking the ability for Apple Software Update to detect and install product updates.

After deleting these files, the applications that they are attached to are not longer recognizable, and can't be patched by ASU.

I'd say don't do it, unless you're prepared to manually check for and download the full installation packages for any OS updates from Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    keyz316keyz316 Posts: 1member
    I haven't tried myself, but I'd recommend caution in using Monolingual. Having read this topic I looked it up and came across a variety of warnings to use it only with caution or not at all (e.g. can totally break your system). You may want to update this post with a warning.

Info:

http://osx.iusethis.com/app/monolingual

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13031
  • Reply 38 of 71
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    gmflashgmflash Posts: 6member
    No need to download any programs. Just open up Terminal and run: