Confirmed Intel delay will push back MacBook overhauls

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppopp View Post

Well, true, I don't need 11 days. Aug. 1 is approximate, but I need to order it through the education site and give it time to arrive, and then migrate my data from a work computer. If I thought I could place my order any time in early Aug. and receive the new computer before Aug. 11 I'd wait and do that.

Hopefully by then there will either be an official announcement or a credible rumor so that I can either place an order for a new computer, or order a current MB with the peace of mind that the new models would have been too late in coming.

I love my current Blackbook, but I'm returning to school full time, and the new computer will see much more abuse from being carried around than my current computer, and it's showing significant case wear after a year and a half. I'm also guessing that when I'm in school I'll be running off the battery more often and I'm hoping the new models will have LED backlighting to improve battery performance.

You can order for overnight delivery, if you choose to. Shipping options are up to the buyer. Not that I think you should necessarily cut it that close. I suppose it all depends on how long you are willing to wait for an updated machine.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Dell has updated their laptop line for the season and the update looks reasonably good.

The 15" is $799. Apple's going to find it hard to match that. (The problem with these, as always, is Vista.)
  • Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Dell has updated their laptop line for the season and the update looks reasonably good.

The 15" is $799. Apple's going to find it hard to match that. (The problem with these, as always, is Vista.)

Do you really think that the new Dell model is comparable to Apples models? If so, then you should buy it!
  • Reply 64 of 89
    With the exception of the operating system, of course they're comparable.

Macs have moved to Intel chips now - or have you been living under a rock for three years?
  • Reply 65 of 89
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Their is more to a machine than the CPU.

Try the OS and the way the mother board and the case are put together
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:

With the exception of the operating system, of course they're comparable.

Macs have moved to Intel chips now - or have you been living under a rock for three years?

Have you called Jenny.............er.........I mean have you bought that GREAT Dell yet? If you think that it compares to Apples models just because they both use Intel chips, then it's you that's been living under a rock!
  • Reply 67 of 89
    I don't need to be lectured on Apple products by some wanna-be-fanboy who joined AI two months ago.

If you knew anything about Apple, you would know that Jobs has often used Dell laptop comparisons in his keynotes. Dell is usually the closest mirror to Apple in the PC market, because of their direct sales approach.

Pointing out that Dell has refreshed for the 2008-09 Education season is simply another indicator that the MacBook refresh will be coming soon.

And while Apple may not accept slim margins the way Dell does, they have to keep the spread close. So a $799. price point for Dell is good news, even for Mac value shoppers.

Get over yourself already. The downside to the iPod/iPhone largesse is the calibre of fans that have jumped ship from the PC side.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:

I don't need to be lectured on Apple products by some wanna-be-fanboy who joined AI two months ago.

If you knew anything about Apple, you would know that Jobs has often used Dell laptop comparisons in his keynotes. Dell is usually the closest mirror to Apple in the PC market, because of their direct sales approach.

Pointing out that Dell has refreshed for the 2008-09 Education season is simply another indicator that the MacBook refresh will be coming soon.

And while Apple may not accept slim margins the way Dell does, they have to keep the spread close. So a $799. price point for Dell is good news, even for Mac value shoppers.

Get over yourself already. The downside to the iPod/iPhone largesse is the calibre of fans that have jumped ship from the PC side.

Your ignorance let's you make stupid remarks. Do you really think that my entire life, and/or Apple experience started when I joined this august body?

I have a birthday in a couple of months, and I'll be 69, so I've been around lot longer than you might think there, Ace. Here's a clue for you, Doomsday, Apple is bigger than Dell, Apple has more money than Dell, Dell WISHES that it was Apple!

Chance are, I've got shoes older than you.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I like the new Dell Studio line a lot, having worked with an XPS 1330, they are such a nice design, though the 1330 had touch sensitive controls. and I do wish Apple would come with a cheaper 15 inch laptop at some point (sorry, not everyone wants/needs to spend $2000 for one), and the 13 inch MB is a wee bit small for me.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Your ignorance let's you make stupid remarks. Do you really think that my entire life, and/or Apple experience started when I joined this august body?

I have a birthday in a couple of months, and I'll be 69, so I've been around lot longer than you might think there, Ace. Here's a clue for you, Doomsday, Apple is bigger than Dell, Apple has more money than Dell, Dell WISHES that it was Apple!

Chance are, I've got shoes older than you.

And your maturity level reflects your age.

For $799, Dell will sell you a DVD burner, something you can't get in a Macbook for less than $1299. Why? Why does Apple cripple their cheaper products like that? And at $1299, the Dell has a real discrete graphics chip and double the hard drive space of the Macbook. It's no wonder most consumers don't even consider the Mac, most of them are looking for the best deal and Apple refuses to compete on that front.

They should.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I do wish Apple would come with a cheaper 15 inch laptop at some point (sorry, not everyone wants/needs to spend $2000 for one), and the 13 inch MB is a wee bit small for me.

Agree 100%

I went onto Dell's site to do a comparison of their new studio line vs. the MacBook Pro. I tried to get it as close I could for specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHz FSB/6MB cache)

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition SP1

15.4-inch LED-backlit 1440x900 display

256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450

3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2

250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

8x Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

802.11n wireless

Built-in Verizon Wireless cellular mobile broadband

Built-in Internal Bluetooth

56W/hr Lithium Ion Battery

Integrated Fingerprint Reader

Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

Backlit Keyboard

McAfee Security 15-mo w/Annual Auto-Renew Fee of $79

Microsoft Works

1-year In-Home Service, Parts and Labor 24x7 Phone Support

Included 3 GB DataSafe Online backup for 1 year

6 Months free Earthlink Internet Access

Starting Price $1,893

Instant Savings $224

Subtotal $1,669

Apple should drop the price on their 15-inch MacBook Pro by $200. On their 17-inch MacBook Pro by $800.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

And your maturity level reflects your age.

For $799, Dell will sell you a DVD burner, something you can't get in a Macbook for less than $1299. Why? Why does Apple cripple their cheaper products like that? And at $1299, the Dell has a real discrete graphics chip and double the hard drive space of the Macbook. It's no wonder most consumers don't even consider the Mac, most of them are looking for the best deal and Apple refuses to compete on that front.

They should.

Apple is hugely successful, "they should" do exactly what they are doing. You don't like it because they aren't doing what YOU want them to do. I'm glad that you have no say in how they do things.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Agree 100%

I went onto Dell's site to do a comparison of their new studio line vs. the MacBook Pro. I tried to get it as close I could for specs.

802.11n wireless

Backlit Keyboard

Microsoft Works

Starting Price $1,893

Instant Savings $224

Subtotal $1,669

Apple should drop the price on their 15-inch MacBook Pro by $200. On their 17-inch MacBook Pro by $800.

Why don't you send a letter to Jobs , pointing out his obvious lack of understanding about how to run Apple?
  • Reply 74 of 89
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Agree 100%

802.11n wireless

Backlit Keyboard

Microsoft Works

Starting Price $1,893

Instant Savings $224

Subtotal $1,669

Without itemizing the included software, this comparison really isn't nearly as useful as it needs to be to make an educated decision.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Apple is hugely successful, "they should" do exactly what they are doing. You don't like it because they aren't doing what YOU want them to do. I'm glad that you have no say in how they do things.

They're making money, but they have the potential of making more money...

Apple has gotten lucky that Vista got the bad press it did, but in terms of their computer designs and included features, they're resting on their laurels a bit too heavily. They're going to have to do a refresh this summer, as the 8600 in the MBP is getting old, and the MB needs multitouch. Bumping the included RAM and adding a DVD burner on all models won't kill them.

Even releasing an xMac won't kill them, it would help to round out their portfolio, and get the PC users that want an expandable Mac to look. Wasn't that ago, Apple sold a $1500 mid-tower.

I run Vista and Linux too, and really, the more advanced the OS' become, the more similar they become. Seriously, if people spend most of their time in a web browser, it really doesn't matter what OS they use. Checking e-mail, looking at photos, audio and video, they're all basically the same anymore...it's only when you get into specialized apps, that I begin to see advantages between the 3.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:

Apple is hugely successful because they are a music and digital audio company, because they have the best store and the best players on that front. Their success has had nothing to do with computers since the '80s. And that's Apple's fault, because they just aren't competitive on the low-end where all the business is.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:

Apple is hugely successful because they are a music and digital audio company, because they have the best store and the best players on that front. Their success has had nothing to do with computers since the '80s. And that's Apple's fault, because they just aren't competitive on the low-end where all the business is.

They may sell more units at the low end, but the profit is not their. When you add in the support costs and the stocking costs it is not a good business model.

The idea is not to sell the most computers but the most computers at a company sustaining profit.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

They may sell more units at the low end, but the profit is not their. When you add in the support costs and the stocking costs it is not a good business model.

The idea is not to sell the most computers but the most computers at a company sustaining profit.

Yes, the low-end is subsidized by the high-end. The idea is to introduce new customers to your product, some of whom will go on to buy more. That's something the Mac mini has done a shockingly good job of, considering what a weak computer it is. But the world is moving away from desktops to notebooks, and for $1100, the Macbook frankly sucks. On that front, Apple needs to either improve the specs or lower the price.

And if Apple was depending on computer profits alone, it would be a very different company.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:

Yes, the low-end is subsidized by the high-end. The idea is to introduce new customers to your product, some of whom will go on to buy more. That's something the Mac mini has done a shockingly good job of, considering what a weak computer it is. But the world is moving away from desktops to notebooks, and for $1100, the Macbook frankly sucks. On that front, Apple needs to either improve the specs or lower the price.

And if Apple was depending on computer profits alone, it would be a very different company.

But, you notice that the mac mini is not at the bottom of the price scale for computers of that type.

What you are asking for is apple to match Dells pricing. Apple will not do that, and they shouldn't. Should they have what we call a xMac about $1500 I agree especially with the economic situation the USA finds itself in. The bottom is at least 6-18 months away.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

for $1100, the Macbook frankly sucks. On that front, Apple needs to either improve the specs or lower the price.

The market clearly disagrees with you. Apple's notebook market share is growing very rapidly. I can imagine Apple perhaps lowering the entry price of the MacBook to $999, but I don't see the need. Apple's technology lead over Microsoft continues to grow.