O2 to open early, may unlock iPhone 3G after one year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Biohazard_UK View Post

I dont know where you got the date of 4th July from to pre-register. I did just that in my local o2 store in Maidstone yesterday and they said that they had taken loads of registrations already. Curiously though, most of them had been for the 8GB model and not the 16GB one, which i have registered for.

Like I said in my original post, I got the 4 July date from an assistant in the O2 store on Cross Street in Manchester on Friday.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

After unlock you can use any sims in your iphone, any includes your AT&T sims.

And apple will have to come up with an unlocking method as soon as next may/june, where the contracts of the locked iphones sold in the UK since last november runs out.

Despite popular belief, Ofcom (the telecommunications regulator in the UK) does not have any regulation or law which would force wireless operators to provide SIM unlocks. Wireless operators are allowed to SIM unlock the phones they sell (or choose not to unlock them) as they see fit.

Ofcom does strongly recommend that wireless operators clearly post their own terms and conditions regarding SIM locking, so that the customer has all the resources needed to make an informed purchasing decision.

As a matter of custom, UK wireless operators have traditionally provided unlocking codes for most wireless phones when their initial contract expires. But they do that because the choose to, not because they have to.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Would someone buy a SIM card for the iPhone from an American carrier if the person unlocked the phone somewhere [I]not[I] stateside but wanted to use it stateside?

I'm not sure how the whole process works...
  • Reply 24 of 26
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iHoppipolla View Post

Would someone buy a SIM card for the iPhone from an American carrier if the person unlocked the phone somewhere [I]not[I] stateside but wanted to use it stateside?

I'm not sure how the whole process works...

Yes, that would be one of the common uses of an unlocked phone. If you kept your non-US SIM card installed while you visited the US, you'd most likely be hit with massive roaming fees on top of your regular calling tariffs.

If you swapped out the non-US SIM card for a temporary prepaid US SIM card, then you'd be able to make calls at much cheaper domestic rates.

Note, though, that while a US-based SIM care was installed, your phone would temporarily have a different telephone number, and you wouldn't be able to receive calls which were placed to your regular number.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mark_gmark_g Posts: 1member
    "Ofcom does strongly recommend that wireless operators clearly post their own terms and conditions regarding SIM locking, so that the customer has all the resources needed to make an informed purchasing decision.

I haven't laughed so much in all my life. I have never fully understood the t's&c's of any mobile contract, and the sales personnel understand even less. The worst thing is that they refuse to acknowledge the Sales of Goods acts etc. Having been conned into upgrading my Nokia last year to one which blatently did not do what the salesman promised it would (with witnesses) on a contract which actually turned out to cost more than he said it would, I had a nightmare trying to rectify the problem. The stock phrase "but you signed the contract" got boring and it wasn't until I started involving legal assistance that they finally started moving. These companies run very close to illegal trading and rely on flannel, bullying and customer ignorance to hard sell.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Yes, that would be one of the common uses of an unlocked phone. If you kept your non-US SIM card installed while you visited the US, you'd most likely be hit with massive roaming fees on top of your regular calling tariffs.

You can do exactly that with the any-network card. All you do is place it inbetween your simcard and the iphone 3g and hay presto its unlocked. I use one when im traveling . i just by a prepay sim from the country im in and everytime its worked. i got mine direct from

www.any-network.com

be carefull as there are alot of copies around where you have to cut your simcard first.