OWC processor upgrade for Powermac G4 400MHz AGP sawtooth

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My indestructible Powermac G4 400MHz AGP sawtooth deserves a processor upgrade: these days it drags running 10.3.9 (I think Apple has loaded the 'security updates' with lead shot or something.....)

OWC has a range of models offering nominal clock speeds of 1.0 - 1.8 GHz, in a price range of $200 - $280 (more for dual-processor models, but they won't run on my board). They all look fine, with some seeming to offer more bang for the buck than others.

My purpose in upgrading is just to be able to run 10.5.x and to do it at more than a crawl; I don't need cutting-edge speed (I'd buy a new computer).

Does anyone have recommendations or caveats to help me choose? Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angus McCallum View Post

My indestructible Powermac G4 400MHz AGP sawtooth deserves a processor upgrade: these days it drags running 10.3.9 (I think Apple has loaded the 'security updates' with lead shot or something.....)

OWC has a range of models offering nominal clock speeds of 1.0 - 1.8 GHz, in a price range of $200 - $280 (more for dual-processor models, but they won't run on my board). They all look fine, with some seeming to offer more bang for the buck than others.

My purpose in upgrading is just to be able to run 10.5.x and to do it at more than a crawl; I don't need cutting-edge speed (I'd buy a new computer).

Does anyone have recommendations or caveats to help me choose? Thanks,

OWC is a reputable store with good warranties and support. Get more RAM while you're there. A 1.8GHz with 1G+ RAM will run Leopard fairly well. 1.0 will manage, but you'll probably be happy spent the extra $80. You'll need to upgrade to Intel sooner or later, though, since 10.6 is supposedly Intel only.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

ou'll need to upgrade to Intel sooner or later, though, since 10.6 is supposedly Intel only.

.... and I guess I won't be able to upgrade the G4 to Intel.... so that will be end of the road.

Thanks for that critical piece of info.

Maybe i should forget the processor upgrade and put the cash toward a Mac Mini next year...... or a clone....