Question about Final Cut Studio 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, I am purchasing a third Mac Pro tomorrow. At the same time I am interested in purchasing Final Cut Studio 2.

My question is if I purchase Final Cut Studio 2 will I be able to put in on all 3 machines? Ethically I know I should purchase 3 copies, which I will eventually do to support Apple but my budget right now restricts me from doing this currently. So I was wondering is there any restrictions when installed the software that will prevent me from installing it on all 3 machines at the same time and also using all 3 at the same time?

Thank you,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userblah View Post

Hi, I am purchasing a third Mac Pro tomorrow. At the same time I am interested in purchasing Final Cut Studio 2.

My question is if I purchase Final Cut Studio 2 will I be able to put in on all 3 machines? Ethically I know I should purchase 3 copies, which I will eventually do to support Apple but my budget right now restricts me from doing this currently. So I was wondering is there any restrictions when installed the software that will prevent me from installing it on all 3 machines at the same time and also using all 3 at the same time?

Thank you,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Apple EULA (End User License Agreement) provides for you to put Final Cut Studio 2 on one desktop and one laptop owned by you. Once can stretch this to mean two desktops. But regardless of the legal restrictions, Apple (intentionally) has not put in place stringent restrictions preventing you from running Final Cut on more than one computer. You'll only be able to register Final Cut with one computer, however, you can fully activate (simply with the serial number) and use Final Cut for all of your computers.

Best of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    userblahuserblah Posts: 20member
    Thank you, that is what I was assuming. So I guess I will have to do that for the next 2 or 3 months till my budget restarts and can afford to buy 2 more copies.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    As long as the computers aren't on the same network, the software won't know. So simply disconnect two of them from the internet and from each other if they are connected via ethernet and you should be fine.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Marvin - What if they are on the same network? Can I activate each one but only have the one registered? Is it going to give me an error when trying to run multiple at the same time?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Marvin - What if they are on the same network? Can I activate each one but only have the one registered? Is it going to give me an error when trying to run multiple at the same time?

At one point I had Final Cut running simultaneously on two desktops on the same network everything worked fine for me. I haven't tried three, but it seems to me you should be fine. At the very least you'll be able to run Final Cut on any of the three Mac Pros, if not simultaneously.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

We have Final Cut Studio at work and it only allows us to run one copy at a time - it comes up with an error. Even if someone has Final Cut Pro open, someone else can't run Soundtrack Pro if it's installed with the same code. It maybe depends on what license you get though. There may be different licenses that allow up to say 3 machines to use the software.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It depends on your license as for example our license for our schools doesnt prevent our multiple machines on the network. If you are fully concerned, you could just run a program called little snitch to prevent the software from talking on the network or out to the world. I do this with Adobe software as I dislike it calling out to the world checking for updates right in the middle of you doing work.