Apple dead pixel policy changed?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a stuck pixel (although it will not unstick using any known method) near the middle of my new 24" iMac's screen. I know apple has not been too forgiving in the past regarding pixel anomalies, but I decided to call up Apple anyway. Can't really hurt right?

The lady first walked me through a few steps designed to reset the display, which all failed to fix the pixel.

The lady then said that it was not apple's policy to only replace the display if it had multiple stuck/dead pixels.

She said that if I were to take the iMac to an Apple authorized repair center they would fix the display under warranty. She also said that the pixel (as it is red but will not unstick) may be the result of a graphics card fault.

My question is should I lug this computer 45 minutes to an apple authorized repair center under the trust that they will fix it under warranty? Or is this lady at apple full of crap?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Algol View Post

I have a stuck pixel (although it will not unstick using any known method) near the middle of my new 24" iMac's screen. I know apple has not been too forgiving in the past regarding pixel anomalies, but I decided to call up Apple anyway. Can't really hurt right?

The lady first walked me through a few steps designed to reset the display, which all failed to fix the pixel.

The lady then said that it was not apple's policy to only replace the display if it had multiple stuck/dead pixels.

She said that if I were to take the iMac to an Apple authorized repair center they would fix the display under warranty. She also said that the pixel (as it is red but will not unstick) may be the result of a graphics card fault.

My question is should I lug this computer 45 minutes to an apple authorized repair center under the trust that they will fix it under warranty? Or is this lady at apple full of crap?

Do you have some other useful alternative? I have found that Apple stands behind their equipment, but if you don't want take it in to be fixed, well.................................
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

...My question is should I lug this computer 45 minutes to an apple authorized repair center under the trust that they will fix it under warranty? Or is this lady at apple full of crap?

Call a few of your nearest Apple Authorised Service providers, if you have an Apple Store nearby try and call them first to schedule a Genius appointment. During these calls, mention that there is 1 dead pixel and see if they will fix it under warranty. Good luck...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I know you said this but Apple's behavior here is not unusual. In fact, it's the norm, and I don't mean just for Apple. All manufacturers will not replace an LCD due to one bad pixel. And it certainly won't won't get you a new iMac.

Although, I had a co-worker who bought a new iMac and had the exact same problem and they took it back to the Apple store they bought it from and they "made a scene" to get a new iMac. It worked for them so maybe try that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Its under warranty, might as well.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I talked with apple again, and they told me I'd have to take it to an authorized service center. The service center would decide whether to replace it under warranty. I take it that, as it's in the interest of the service center to gain new customers, they will most likely replace the screen under warranty. I'm taking it in next week. Will update you guys with whatever they tell me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I talked with apple again, and they told me I'd have to take it to an authorized service center. The service center would decide whether to replace it under warranty. I take it that, as it's in the interest of the service center to gain new customers, they will most likely replace the screen under warranty. I'm taking it in next week. Will update you guys with whatever they tell me.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. My experience is that some will, some won't. All the best.