Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.4 update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday evening released Mac OS X 10.5.4, the latest significant revision to Leopard and a key part of its online strategy. Also, Security Update 2008-004 and Safari 3.1.2 for Tiger address security issues for earlier Mac OS X versions.

The update (59MB for 10.5.3 users) is considered an important precursor to Mac support for MobileMe, Apple's imminent sync and hosting service.

In addition to laying the groundwork for the future replacement for .Mac, the update is also key to fixing a number of major bugs identified since the release of Mac OS X 10.5.3, including an Adobe CS3 corruption bug with remote file saves and a chronic shutdown flaw.

Also mended with the fix are reliability with AirPort when on 5GHz 802.11a and 802.11n networks, iCal stability, access to secure websites with Safari, and a number of fixes for Exposé and Spaces.

Support for additional cameras' RAW photo formats has also been expanded, the company says.

Apple recommends the update for all Leopard users to improve the stability of their systems, and rolls in previous security updates released between Mac OS X 10.5.3 and the new update.

Additionally, the company has released Security Update 2008-004 for Mac OS X Tiger client (Intel, PowerPC) and Tiger Server (Intel, PowerPC) that bring security fixes built into Mac OS X 10.5.4 to the earlier operating systems, including protection against vulnerabilities in significant components such as CoreTypes, the Dock, SMB File Server, Ruby and Webkit.

A third update, Safari 3.1.2 for Mac OS X Tiger, fixes a specific flaw in WebKit (addressed for Leopard in 10.5.4) that would allow malicious JavaScript to either crash Safari or else allow running hostile code through the browser.

The full list of fixes in Mac OS X 10.5.4 follows below:

General

Includes recent Apple security updates.

Resolves an issue with saving and reopening Adobe Creative Suite 3 files on a remote server.

Includes additional RAW image support for several cameras.

Addresses an issue that may result in a partially installed X11 application.

Improves L2TP VPN client reliability.

AirPort

Addresses AirPort reliability issues with 5GHz networks.

Addresses AirPort issues that may result in slower performance in Logic Studio or MainStage.

iCal

Improves overall iCal reliability for meeting requests, cancellation notices, delegation, and syncing with iPhone.

Resolves an issue that prevents deleting an iCal event without notifying the creator.

Addresses an issue in which events in all calendars affect availability. A checkbox now enables information-only calendars to be transparent from free/busy lookups.

Resolves a UI issue preventing delegated calendars from showing up as a separate window.

Addresses an issue with copying and pasting attendees from one event to another.

Resolves an issue in which iCal may not delete events after a specified time interval, even when set to do so in iCal preferences.

Addresses an issue in which To Dos cannot be marked private.

Safari

Addresses a potential performance issue when loading secure web pages.

Resolves issues that may be encountered when accessing secure web pages with client certificates that reside on a smart card.

Spaces and Exposé

Addresses an issue in which switching from a space with a Finder window keeps the Finder as the active application instead of the application residing in the destination space.

Fixes an issue in which dragging an application from the list of application assignments in Spaces System Preferences does not assign the application to the desired space.

Resolves an Exposé issue that may result in only a subset of windows being shown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    I was expecting this update to have changed all .Mac references to MobileMe. I wonder how will Apple do this later in July. A small update maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    FYI: This is build 9E17. The same as the developer build released last Tuesday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwwluckyro View Post

I was expecting this update to have changed all .Mac references to MobileMe. I wonder how will Apple do this later in July. A small update maybe?

They can always roll it into the iTunes 7.7 update.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    10.5.5 might be another smaller release and include support for Montevina systems.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Mmmexcellent!

I loves me a little OS update...

Jimzip
  • Reply 5 of 82
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Does anyone know if this update resolves any of the following issues:

1- InDesign not hiding properly.

2- Remembering share-point log-ins after sign-in.

3- Wireless authentication delays after waking-up from sleep.

Any new bugs?
  • Reply 6 of 82
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Doesn't fix any of the bugs I was hoping it would, but no new ones yet either, so neutral status from my point of view.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    doughboydoughboy Posts: 47member
    FYI, the combo updater is located here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...mboupdate.html
  • Reply 7 of 82
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    just updated and found no change !
  • Reply 9 of 82
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have an iMac 3.06Ghz and the update from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 was an 87mb download.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I have an iMac 3.06Ghz and the update from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 was an 87mb download.

It was 59MB for my MacBook Air.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Does anyone know if this Security Update addresses the Applescript THT Trojan that has been floating around?

I haven't heard that much about it actually, anyone have any views on it?
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Quote:

maybe it will be a "magic update" like web galleries for the iPhone
  • Reply 13 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Anybody know when was the last time Apple added any new phones to the iSync compatibility list? Even though the banner at the top of the page says "Mac OS X Leopard" I think that just got slapped on all of the OS X pages when Leopard came out. The notes at the bottom say the page lists phones compatible iSync version 2.4, yet we are now on version 3.0.2.

Does Apple expect everyone to run out and buy an iPhone? Ain't gonna happen. iSync (the application) is practically useless. Yet another one of Apple's cool ideas ignored into oblivion.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    barstepbarstep Posts: 2member
    I used Software Update and when I was asked to allow a restart it wrote all the files and then my MacBook Pro stalled.

I had a bootable backup but first I held down the power button and forced a restart. It booted up apparently OK so I downloaded the Update .dmg and ran the install from that. It went through the process again, restarted and now seems fine.

I've no idea what went wrong but no tears in the end.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

I would expect a UNIX Operating system infrastructure to manage their ln -s at the adminstrative levels, application level, framework levels and configuration levels.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Does anyone know if this Security Update addresses the Applescript THT Trojan that has been floating around?

By doing what? Telling users not to install applications that they know nothing about and were sent to them by someone they don't know via email?

Trojan Horses do not exploit OS security vulnerabilities and there is therefore nothing for Apple to do in this instance.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Looks like no UI changes at all. Apple seems to be saving those for Snow Leopard. As well as any previews of coming technology like they did with Boot Camp.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Looks like no UI changes at all. Apple seems to be saving those for Snow Leopard. As well as any previews of coming technology like they did with Boot Camp.

There are generally not any UI changes in a point update..
  • Reply 19 of 82
    kt0157kt0157 Posts: 5member
    The update includes firmware for Time Capsule and the Extreme. I had problems with Time Capsule with the new firmware: it refused to find the DHCP server, and lots of other stubborn networking problems. I had to do a factory reset to get it to work again (it's fine now).
  • Reply 20 of 82
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

By doing what? Telling users not to install applications that they know nothing about and were sent to them by someone they don't know via email?

Trojan Horses do not exploit OS security vulnerabilities and there is therefore nothing for Apple to do in this instance.

No, actually if I understood the way the trojan horse took advantage was to exploit an issue with ARD allowing root access when it was inactive. That surely seems like a security issue.