Huge problem...please help!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I use my MBP at work everyday, yesterday I went into work and connected to the network like any other day. After a few minutes my network administrator came in my office and started freaking out asking if I was downloading anything. I said no, and he went back to his office only to come back again and say my internet activity was extremely high, so high it was slowing down the entire network. I went the rest of the day without connecting to the network, but I need this problem resolved. What the hell could it be? I really dont understand how out of no where my computer is doing this. Any help, suggestions, advice on how to fix this problem, or figure out what the hell it is?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I use my MBP at work everyday, yesterday I went into work and connected to the network like any other day. After a few minutes my network administrator came in my office and started freaking out asking if I was downloading anything. I said no, and he went back to his office only to come back again and say my internet activity was extremely high, so high it was slowing down the entire network. I went the rest of the day without connecting to the network, but I need this problem resolved. What the hell could it be? I really dont understand how out of no where my computer is doing this. Any help, suggestions, advice on how to fix this problem, or figure out what the hell it is?

Most likely its b/c you are signed into your .mac account under system preferences -> internet and network.

I see massive traffic in our PIX firewalls whenever I am signed in from my IP address. Sign out of that if you are logged in and ask him to check the logs. If that doesn't help post back.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... After a few minutes my network administrator came in my office and started freaking out asking if I was downloading anything. I said no, and he went back to his office only to come back again and say my internet activity was extremely high, so high it was slowing down the entire network. ...

First, it is virtually impossible for a single computer to bring a whole network to its knees. That said, you have given us absolutely no useful information. That fact is that the network administrator went ape when you plugged-in does not count. Rather than unplugging, you need to offer to help the administrator diagnose the problem. The only time that I have ever heard of anything similar to this was when a student working with me installed BitTorrent on a Windows machine.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

First, it is virtually impossible for a single computer to bring a whole network to its knees. That said, you have given us absolutely no useful information. That fact is that the network administrator went ape when you plugged-in does not count. Rather than unplugging, you need to offer to help the administrator diagnose the problem. The only time that I have ever heard of anything similar to this was when a student working with me installed BitTorrent on a Windows machine.

HAHA keep thinking that.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I do have Azureus installed, but I don't use it at work. It doesn't make any sense. I just plugged it in again and he came running over. He's telling me it could be virus related, I really dont know at this point. How do I check to see what kind of traffic my computer is calling for? What can I do to see what the problem is?

When he came over I was emailing someone with 2 images attached, but I HIGHLY doubt that is what caused the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

I do have Azureus installed, but I don't use it at work. It doesn't make any sense. I just plugged it in again and he came running over. He's telling me it could be virus related, I really dont know at this point. How do I check to see what kind of traffic my computer is calling for? What can I do to see what the problem is?

When he came over I was emailing someone with 2 images attached, but I HIGHLY doubt that is what caused the problem.

R U signed into .mac?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

R U signed into .mac?

No i don't have a .Mac account
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

No i don't have a .Mac account

pull up your activity monitor..do you have anything thats high?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

pull up your activity monitor..do you have anything thats high?

The kernel_task is the highest thing i have 1.8 CPU, and 57 Threads
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Easiest way to monitor all your packets and traffic is to load a tool like ethereal
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Easiest way to monitor all your packets and traffic is to load a tool like ethereal

ill download that now I guess and give it a shot. What would be a normal packet rate? If you just sending email, and searching for stock photos?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

ill download that now I guess and give it a shot. What would be a normal packet rate? If you just sending email, and searching for stock photos?

Hard to say really. I use solarwinds in a vm for network traffic monitoring.

I'll load ethereal on my MBP and see.......
  • Reply 12 of 20
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Have you downloaded 10.5.4 yet? If you have Software Update set to download in the background, maybe it was downloading the update when you were plugged into the network.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

try getting rid of azureus.....reboot

reading some forums on azureus causing issues.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    well i just downloaded Net Monitor and loaded it up and went along with stuff I do day to day. It looks like its Mail.app causing the problem. Every time I load it up the it goes nuts. It doesn't really make sense though. How can Mail.app take so much bandwidth? Could it really be the two images it's trying to send?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    What kind of accounts do you have? IMAP, POP? Some companies block IMAP ports. Also check your Outbox and see if your Mail is trying to send something else out.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Just what sort of bandwidth are you talking here? Use Activity Monitor and click network tab to find out. How big are the images you're trying to email? You really do need to give us some simple information like this in order for us to help. Does for instance, the network activity last longer than required to email the images?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

What kind of accounts do you have? IMAP, POP? Some companies block IMAP ports. Also check your Outbox and see if your Mail is trying to send something else out.

I use gmail, IMAP and mail.app. For some reason when I'm not sending anything the Activity Monitor is showing uploading and downloading even if I close everything else out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Just what sort of bandwidth are you talking here? Use Activity Monitor and click network tab to find out. How big are the images you're trying to email? You really do need to give us some simple information like this in order for us to help. Does for instance, the network activity last longer than required to email the images?

The files were both 19MBs each, and I was trying to send them in two separate emails. The network activity does last longer then the sending of the emails. After its done syncing, for some reason it is still uploading and downloading, and it doesn't stop.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Hmm, gmail has an attachment limit of 20MB. This might have something to do with it. When the SMTP server rejects it Mail will go screwy for a long time before it can give you the error.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=8770
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hmm, gmail has an attachment limit of 20MB. This might have something to do with it. When the SMTP server rejects it Mail will go screwy for a long time before it can give you the error.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=8770

Yeah, the problem has now stopped and I can leave Mail.app open again. It must of been part of the problem. That's really strange that it happens. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Trust me, I know your frustration. The wife likes to send out videos through email to her mother once in a while and we use gmail. I learned that lesson a while ago.