AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T announced Tuesday that iPhone 3G buyers will be forced into more costly service plans than those offered alongside the original iPhone. Plans will now start at $70 for a package that includes 450 minutes and no text messages. The carrier also issued a series of "tips" on how to be "iReady" when the new Apple handset goes on sale at its retail stores at 8 a.m. local time on Friday, July 11.

Pricing and Eligibility

iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. Both prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:

iPhone customers who purchased before July 11

Customers activating a new line with AT&T

Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount

Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history. Customers can check their upgrade eligibility and other wireless account information at www.att.com/iphone. The site also includes a series of "Get iReady" tips and frequently asked questions.

Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will be forced to pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will be forced to pay "the standard $36 activation fee."

Voice, Data and Text Messaging Plans

AT&T said iPhone 3G customers can choose from four individual AT&T Nation plans, which bundle voice and unlimited data (e-mail and Web browsing) but no SMS messages (which will cost extra):

AT&T NationSM Unlimited: Includes unlimited Anytime Minutes for $129.99 a month.

AT&T Nation 1350: Includes 1350 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $109.99 a month.

AT&T Nation 900: Includes 900 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $89.99 a month.

AT&T Nation 450: Includes 450 Anytime Minutes and 5,000 Night & Weekend Minutes for $69.99 a month.

All AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk plans for iPhone 3G include nationwide long distance and roaming, Visual Voicemail, Rollover, unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling and Caller ID.

AT&T will offer FamilyTalk plans, with bundled voice and unlimited data, starting as low as $129.99 a month for two iPhone 3G lines. Up to three additional iPhone lines can be added for $39.99 each.

Unlimited text messaging can be added for an additional $20 ($30 for FamilyTalk plans of up to five lines); $15 (1,500 messages), or $5 (200 messages).

iPhone for Business

Business customers interested in iPhone 3G should contact an AT&T business sales representative or review their account information online to determine their eligibility for upgrade pricing. Corporate e-mail and other business applications require the Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone, which is $45 a month and bundled with an eligible voice plan. Small business customers may qualify for AT&T BusinessTalk, a shared plan specifically for small businesses. Additional details on iPhone business offerings are available at www.att.com/iphoneforbusiness.

iPhone 2.0 Software

All iPhone customers will benefit from the iPhone 2.0 software, which will be pre-loaded on all iPhone 3Gs and available as a free download for current iPhone customers. The new software will include numerous enhancements, such as business-class e-mail access via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync; the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK), which allows a business to easily create applications customized to its needs; and the App Store, which offers a wide-range of applications ? from games to business, education to entertainment and productivity to social networking. For example, AT&T has developed YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile for iPhone, which takes local mobile search to a new level by allowing users to discover businesses and local events based on their popularity among other iPhone users, get directions and access business reviews.

AppleInsider readers are discussing the new plans in the forums,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 263
    I did a 1 year deal on a BlackJack in early '07 because the iPhone wasn't out and I had to have a smart (relatively) phone ASAP. My guess was that when the one year was up I'd be able to get into a next gen iPhone. Timed it just about right.

I'm ready to get rid of this POS BlackJack. I'll save money because I won't have to pay a hefty premium for tethering. Shouldn't need tethering as much though since the iPhone will cover some chores and I can hunt for open WiFi other times.

The extra fee for text messaging is still an annoyance.

gc
  • Reply 2 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    "iReady"? - that's tacky AT&T for you.
  • Reply 3 of 263
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.
  • Reply 4 of 263
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    So you get unlimited data but 0 text messages are included? Oy vey.
  • Reply 5 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.

It's the subsidized price. We've known that for a month now. It's not bait and switch (which is illegal) but it is a subsidization (a marketing tactic I don't like but one that is legal) which means the actual cost of the handset is rolled into the carriers monthly fees.

BTW, the $399 is ONLY for those who are with AT&T but not eligible to get a new phone yet. The unsubsidized price is $599 for the 8GB model and $699 or the 16GB model.

PS: I think most AT&T contract cancelation fees are under $200 so it might behoove some of your to pay your cancelation fee first then sign up for the 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 263
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.

And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.
  • Reply 7 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

I Have the feeling you did not fully read. The iPhone is $399 for current AT&T customers who are not eligible for a discounted upgrade. It says if you are not eligible for the upgrade now, you can wait until you are.
  • Reply 8 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The outrageous price bump on text messages seems highly unwarranted. I see a potential for a class action here.

Either way, I'll just abuse the data more with IMs and emails that use excessively more data just for header info.
  • Reply 9 of 263
    I miss the option to add the iPhone data plan to an existing ATT voice plan. I'd be totally fine if the upgrade option was now $30 for the 3G... But it seems like that is no longer going to work... This means the iPhone isn?t $10 more expensive for me, it?s really $20 more expensive, while providing me less minutes than before.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the iPhone data package being $30 a month, as that is standard fare for ATT 3G service (the current iPhone rate plan was the cheapest in the business next to the Sidekick?s data package?but who the hell wants a Sidekick!?). My problem is now I am forced into a bundled package voice / data plan that will cost me more while giving me less. That just seems lame when all I want to do is upgrade my device.

My current iPhone plan:

IPHONE DATA WITH UNLIMITED TXT: $40

VOICE: 1000 voice minutes for $50

I signed up at some random cart in the mall on the day of the iPhone launch, got a free crappy backup phone, and saved on the voice plan because EVERYONE will deal on voice rates except corporate stores. That made me an existing ATT customer 30 minutes before the iPhone went on sale last June and thus eligible for the $20 a month iPhone upgrade.

So, my current monthly fee is $90.

With the new iPhone, I?d be paying $90, lose 100 minutes a month (the package only gives you 900 minutes), AND lose texting. When I add the text package, I?m at $110 a month before taxes, fees, blah blah blah.

That seems pretty lame. Paying over $20 more a month and getting less service makes my current iPhone seem miiiighty fine. Once MobileMe rolls out (I?m already a heavy .Mac user) I?ll be just fine. I?ll wait and upgrade once the phone has video conferencing, a better camera, a flash, is thinner, will clean my house, etc, etc, etc.

=]
  • Reply 10 of 263
    3dg3dg Posts: 2member
    I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.
  • Reply 11 of 263
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

I'm afraid to even think about what they're going to do to use when the 3rd iPhone is released sometime in the future...
  • Reply 12 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.

And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.

No we are paying $10 more for 3G data speed. Which the 1st gen iPhone does not have.
  • Reply 13 of 263
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I just have to rant about this one more time. TEXT MESSAGES ARE THE BIGGEST RIP OFF IN THE WORLD!! It takes NOTHING for a carrier to deliver an SMS. It's only a few bits of text. It just angers me so much for some reason. I actually kinda jumped down a guy's throat who was trying to sell me the unlimited text messaging one time. I can find some other way to send text than to pay them for NOTHING!!

Otherwise, I have nothing to complain about. Our family plan won't go up by much with 2 iPhones on it. Being a business owner, I understand that you have to go up sometimes. However, I would never charge more than $5/mo for unlimited SMS!

Ok. I'm done.
  • Reply 14 of 263
    gkorsgardgkorsgard Posts: 31member
    How long does it take to become eligible for an upgraded phone? I got mine on day one of the first generation.
  • Reply 15 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

Yes, they are greedy, but this move is not unwarranted in any way. If they let you upgrade your phone when ever you want they would go bankrupt.

For instance, if I was able to get a phone worth $200 for free and I was constantly eligible for an upgrade then I walk right back in the store 10 minutes later and get a new phone which I could later sell on eBay for a hefty profit.

The upgrade time frames are to ensure that the carrier gets the money they fronted you for the phone back before they let you upgrade. If you don't like it you can buy your handset outright instead of letting them credit it to you to avoid this issue.

iPhone users are getting a deal, in a way, as they are being allowed to get a new iPhone at the upgrade price well before their official upgrade date. I'm guessing the only reason this is happening is that Apple is not requiring AT&T pay them for the additional contractual months on the original iPhone revenue sharing plan. Otherwise that would be financially unsound for AT&T, even with the $10/month in data fees.
  • Reply 16 of 263
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

Yes.

I was going to give my original iPhone to my son and add a new 3g for me... but it looks like, having the family plan and 3 iPhones already, that I would be paying at least $45 a month more just to add a 3g iPhone- plus the $199 for the phone!

I don't think I will do that.

Wow, 2 Apple products that I won't be the first to buy in one year! The Macbook Air, and the iPhone 3g... \
  • Reply 17 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

How long does it take to become eligible for an upgraded phone? I got mine on day one of the first generation.

All current iPhone users are automatically eligible for the upgrade price. As for other phones, I think it's 22 months.
  • Reply 18 of 263
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

I'm afraid to even think about what they're going to do to use when the 3rd iPhone is released sometime in the future...

The current equivalent plans, for one phone, which is what is shown, are $10/month less. I pay $60/month for my phone for the 450/unlimited data. With the upgrade I will pay $75/month (including $5 for 200 SMS). That's it. So I save $200 on the price and pay $360 on the contract. So $160/24 months - < $7/month for 3G speeds. Worth it?

Since I don't use SMS in any case (for reasons stated above) its < $2/month more. Seems reasonable. Certainly not going to scare anyone away that actually looks at it.
  • Reply 19 of 263
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

In this economy are the flipping crazy.... Guess that got to pay for that fancy new Head Quaters in Dallas they are building...

No Text and raised the price, I guess there was no mention of adding just data to my current plan.
  • Reply 20 of 263
    Quote:

I agree my jaw dropped when I saw the prices.

But to look at it from AT&T perspective this is all they will be able to charge. Nearly every other mobile phone company attempts to lock its customers into proprietary media and music services as a way to make more revenue. That is not an option with the iPhone.

With the iPhone we are free to load any media or music we choose. We are free to stream as much internet media or music as we like. Other mobile phones charge for this functionality while AT&T will receive nothing additional.