AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Comments

• Reply 41 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

I did read the text fully, and think it is horse shit.

Apple's site lists the base price as $199 w/ a 2-yr plan. It says nothing about upgrade eligibility or costs. Both Apple and ATT have publicized the $199 price...again w/no mention of a subsidy. Who are the "we" that has know of the subsidy? I searched Apple and CNN--nada. The only mention of cost that I found was $199 & $299.

If you read it, you did not comprehend it. When there is a contract attached to it you should assume that the device has been subsidized.

As for the upgrade eligibility. Why were you under the impression that you could buy an iPhone for $199 come July 11th, then reenter the store, cancel your plan with no penalty and purchase another iPhone for $199. You didn't state this outright, but your assumption that there is no penalty for re-upping your contract with a new handset means that you?and everyone else?could do just that. The only penalty would be the $18 activation fee for each device and the 2 year contract you'd be in at the end of your shell game; but the millions you could make off selling the iPhones would easily buy you out of your contract.

You have a fee for canceling your plan early. That fee is around $200, though possibly a little lower. The price for an iPhone for those not eligible for an upgrade is $200 more. The price of an unsubsidized iPhone is $200 more than that. This is all standard and available to you on your contract and when you ask an AT&T rep.
  • Reply 42 of 263
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    Now I just checked the 3G coverage map and there isn't any coverage withing miles of my house. However when I used to have the AT&T 8525, I was able to use 3G. What does this mean?
  • Reply 43 of 263
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post

What, they're going to increase the service price for those of us who bought an iPhone last year?

My grandmother and I had both AT&T, both phones under her name (but hers wsn't an iPhone), she passed away recently, so I had to switch my iPhone to my name (yesterday). The lady on the phone said my bill would still be $60 and my contract ends July 2009.

Where did you ever read that. Current iPhone users will stay at the current rates. Only 3G iPhones get the new rates.
  • Reply 44 of 263
    Quote:

From the iPhone site:

"Phone, iPod, and Internet in one fast 3G device. Starting at $199.*"

"* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately."

From Apple's press release:

"In the US the new iPhone 3G is priced at a stunning $199 for the 8GB model, and just $299 for the 16GB model.** "

"**Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately. "

So, you did read that it requires a NEW 2 year contract... you have to finish your old one first, or pay the termination fee.

solipsism beat me to it.
  • Reply 45 of 263
    Notice in the video posted on Apple's site he says while on a call "with a 3G or WiFi connection you can access other applications." Seems like they are implying that you will eventually make calls over WiFi.

Nice!
  • Reply 46 of 263
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    My first thought when I read this was "I guess the iPod Touch product is going to remain popular after all."
  • Reply 47 of 263
    What if you're currently on an AT&T family plan with 4 phones and only two of the family members want an iphone?! Am i required to purchase two family plans now? 1 for the iphones and 1 for the other two phones?!
  • Reply 48 of 263
    The rates of the plans don't upset me, after all it's 3G and a hell of an experience. However, what does bother me is the disregard for current loyal customers. I was planning on buying an iphone in july, now have to wait until 12/28. At that point, who knows if the price will still be $299...Aren't we the ones who should be rewarded?
  • Reply 49 of 263
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Does anyone have a copy of the previous AT&T iPhone pricing plan?

Wanted to have a comparison between the old pricing plan and the 3G one.

Cheers.
  • Reply 50 of 263
    jeg815jeg815 Posts: 9member
    Any idea what time Apple Retail Stores will sell the iPhone 3G? I'm surprised AT&T announced the time before Apple did.
  • Reply 51 of 263
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

World class fark-job from ATT here. I upgraded my ATT phone in March, not knowing what the story was gonna be with iphone 3G. And now I'm screwed on the price. That's cool, I'd rather wait than give ATT one more dime than I have to.

it is unfortunate that the positives that could surround the introduction of this much awaited serious upgrade has to be attached to a lame grab for additional profit. Yes, Apple has loyal followers to which I am one, but continued testing of those loyalty waters will run thin. It is unfortunate that competitors are asleep at the wheel.
  • Reply 52 of 263
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.

This is very close to plans you get for other smartphones. I have a BlackBerry right now with VZW and I pay a similar monthly payment (~80$) for a bundled voice+data plan. You can't compare it to a voice only plan, here you will pay much less but you will get less. It's your choice.
  • Reply 53 of 263
    I see in their "Get iReady" pdf that you may only purchase 1 iPhone per person in line. This is insane. My wife and I are current Verizon customers that have been waiting for the new iPhone to come out before jumping to AT&T. I need to get two phones (one for me and one for my wife) and there is no way I'm going to get her to stand in line just to buy a phone.

Does anyone know if the Apple Stores will have the same restriction?
  • Reply 54 of 263
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I transfered my wife's Nokia GoPhone to my account Family plan last year. Now when I eligibility it says my iPhone is eligible but my wife's Nokia phone is not! Do they mean that it is not eligible for the $199 price? I doubt it since she did not buy her phone subsidize. I was a $99 GoPhone from Wal-Mart! I will try to call AT&T later today and see if I can get an answer. I am using the 500 min. family plan, I don't know why they don't have it for the 3G iPhone family plan!
  • Reply 55 of 263
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

My old phone died in December, and I was forced to buy a replacement.

How were you "forced" into buying a new phone?

Quote:

I did read the text fully, and think it is horse shit.

Then perhaps you should try to comprehend what you read.

Quote:

Apple's site lists the base price as $199 w/ a 2-yr plan. It says nothing about upgrade eligibility or costs. Both Apple and ATT have publicized the $199 price...again w/no mention of a subsidy. Who are the "we" that has know of the subsidy? I searched Apple and CNN--nada. The only mention of cost that I found was $199 & $299.

You are certainly more than welcome to sign up for a brand new account with a 2 year plan and get the phone for $199/$299.

Quote:

"Phone, iPod, and Internet in one fast 3G device. Starting at $199.*"

"* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately."

From Apple's press release:

"In the US the new iPhone 3G is priced at a stunning $199 for the 8GB model, and just $299 for the 16GB model.** "

"**Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately. "

What's stopping you from getting a new 2 year plan as you quoted?
  • Reply 56 of 263
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

get the iPhone for $199.

No conditions, eh? I think you need to re-watch the keynote.

You couldn't spare us all the trouble, since you seem to know? Or perhaps you're calling our bluff.

Quoting from the WWDC '08 Keynote

Steve Jobs: "5. More affordable" The number one reason people didn't buy the original iPhone was that they couldn't afford it. "56% Too Expensive"

"The iPhone started off at $599 for an 8 gig iPhone that now sells for $399 for an 8 gig iPhone. And we want to make it even more affordable. And I'm really happy to tell you that the iPhone 3G is gonna sell for $199. At just $199, we think the iPhone 3G is going to be affordable to almost everyone. And that's for the 8 gig model. 16 gig model just $299 [...] But of course the big news is $399 to $199. And we think we can check off "more affordable"."

No conditions on those $199/$299 prices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.

We know how bait and switch works, too. I'm constantly shaking my head why people who have a vested interest are willing to overlook legalities.

It looks like our best choice will be to avoid the AT&T store altogether and buy the iPhone 3G at an Apple store for $199/$299.
  • Reply 57 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Notice in the video posted on Apple's site he says while on a call "with a 3G or WiFi connection you can access other applications." Seems like they are implying that you will eventually make calls over WiFi.

Nice!

With the current EDGE-based iPhone you can't use Safari, check email, stocks, weather, etc. while on a call... unless you are connected via WiFi. With the 3G iPhone you'll be able to do all of that if you are using a 3G/UTMS/HSDPA connection.
  • Reply 58 of 263
    jlsniujlsniu Posts: 7member
    I currently pay 69.99 a month for my treo 750. That's 450 minutes, unlimited data and 1500 messages. Now I'll be paying the exact same, and lose my 1500 txt. AND I'll lose my ActiveSync unless I pay an extra 15 bucks.

What's more irritating is that I'm only a year into my two year contract so I'll have to pay more for my iphone than a 1Gen iphone user with the same time under his belt.

I'm looking for an AT&T store that has a 1Gen iphone in stock. Then I can trade up.

Although its cheaper to just buy a new iphone on a new plan and cancel it the next day. 299+175 is less than the 499 and i'm not getting a new contract. And it makes AT&T's financials look bad
  • Reply 59 of 263
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Steve Jobs stated publicly that the iPhone 3G would cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB). No conditions. Obviously then, if AT&T charges more, then Apple will subsidize us for the difference.

wishful thinking. if only, if only.
  • Reply 60 of 263
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    In summary, no one has to buy the new iPhone.

I, for one, am happy you all won't be clogging the line up. Keep it going.