AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Comments

• Reply 121 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.

You are one of the few who truly is "iReady"!
  • Reply 122 of 263
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    Quit your whining about txt messages... If you send more than 200 txt messages in a month... YOU ARE A BRATTY LITTLE TEENAGE GIRL!!!

I send a txt message to my girlfriend no more than.. once, maybe twice a day when I'm at the gym or in a meeting I can't talk on the phone. And that's rare.. usually i just pick up the phone and CALL HER!

If you don't like the txt fees... then use email or the new AOL instant messager program they are releasing soon for iPHONE 2.0.

And the fees... they aren't great.. i wish AT&T had a 600 minutes plan priced between the two... cause I never use more than 600 daytime minutes in a month... but oh well.

I still get a phone that I can put any media I want on it.. I can rip dvds and put them on it.. i can rip cds and put my music on it... all while bypassing AT&T's one overpriced services.

JUST TRY to do this on VERIZON network... they'll charge you and arm and a leg for 1/4 of the functionality of the IPHONE on AT&T.

Grow up you cry babies.. stop being teenage girls and stop txting so much like a pussy.
  • Reply 123 of 263
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Don't forget corporate discounts if you are elegable for them. I just called AT&T and while my current iPhone plan is a non-starter for my corp discount, the new plan may be. She called the iPhone department and they are unsure if the corp discount will be offered on the new plan. If it is offered and if it's like my old Verizon one (18%), then the new plan is actually cheaper than the old one.

Sheldon
  • Reply 124 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

How much more is it to add unlimited 3G data to a VZW plan? That is pretty much a wash.

Unlimited 3G as well as unlimited GPS. They act as though Verizon does not charge for these functions.
  • Reply 125 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just121191 View Post

i bet half the ppl buying 3g dont realize they dont have 3g coverage.

There will surely be some people blaming Apple for that here.
  • Reply 126 of 263
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Don't forget corporate discounts if you are elegable for them. I just called AT&T and while my current iPhone plan is a non-starter for my corp discount, the new plan may be. She called the iPhone department and they are unsure if the corp discount will be offered on the new plan. If it is offered and if it's like my old Verizon one (18%), then the new plan is actually cheaper than the old one.

Sheldon

So they were just unsure? No official verbiage? Well that stinks. That's the same situation they had with iPhone V1. They were unsure for a long time and then just before launch they said, umm, no. Even tho just 1 week prior someone at AT&T told me it would apply. Why can't they just let it out! There are HUGE numbers of people who have corporate discounts!

Also - I'd check to see what % you get with AT&T and if it applies to just voice or voice + data. I know the %'s offered to my company vary from Verizon to AT&T to Sprint...
  • Reply 127 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Unlimited 3G as well as unlimited GPS. They act as though Verizon does not charge for these functions.

I never thought of that, either. How much do they charge for GPS?

I just watched Apple's 3G Guided Tour video. I wonder how this will compare to TomTom and Garmin GPS software.
  • Reply 128 of 263
    mac.lifemac.life Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

I too, was considering the family plan for the 3G iPhone-I'm glad that the pricing was finally released. I agree with your post-I was initially thinking of getting the plan but it does not make financial sense. I might just hold off on getting a iPhone (s)-not too keen on their pricing plans (and I am a current Cingular/AT&T customer).

JUST got off the phone with AT&T...

YES: You can CHOOSE a Family Talk Plan (say the $129 plan for 2 iPhones) and the ADD

EITHER a $5 or $15 Text plan to each line on the Family Plan or you can add unlimited to both for a total of $30.

So I'm Getting (we don't text too much):

$129 Family Talk Plan (2 iPhones)

2 x $5 Text plans for the 2 lines

$139 Total

Not too bad.
  • Reply 129 of 263
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1271925]This may be a general rule for the launch, but AT&T has also stated that 3 units per person is the max in an early memo. Since you and your wife are on the same Family Plan, and are not new customers, I would think you could purchase two handsets. Though I'd call your local AT&T store first to speak with the manager to verify and to potentially solidify the option verbally.
    Purchase Limit

The device purchase limit will remain three (3) per customer for iPhone 3G in AT&T stores.
    Thanks for the info... i had thought I saw a 3 per customer limit elsewhere. I hope you are right and it's only a temporary restriction.

(minor correction to what you said: we're *not* existing customers - we are currently with Verizon)
  • Reply 130 of 263
    dbikerdbiker Posts: 8member
    Is there a limit to the unlimited data plan? Like a little clause in the fine print that says they have the right to throttle your usage if it goes above a certain amount?

It was probably a moot point using the Edge network, but I can see some issues in the 3G world.

DB
  • Reply 131 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasperian View Post

Thanks for the info... i had thought I saw a 3 per customer limit elsewhere. I hope you are right and it's only a temporary restriction.

(minor correction to what you said: we're *not* existing customers - we are currently with Verizon)

mac.life, in an earlier post, just spoke with AT&T who stated a 1 phone per customer limit. Since today's info is newer than the memo I'd say the memo is nullified and they are goign to be forcing a 1 unit per person rule to start.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbiker View Post

Is there a limit to the unlimited data plan? Like a little clause in the fine print that says they have the right to throttle your usage if it goes above a certain amount?

I think it states 5GB, but I've never heard of them actually do it. Though if they were it would first be done on the notebook 3G cards, not on the cellphones.
  • Reply 132 of 263
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbiker View Post

It was probably a moot point using the Edge network, but I can see some issues in the 3G world.

DB

I believe I saw another poster (maybe on MR?) said in the fine print there is a 'soft-limit' of 5GB/month. That'd be quite a challenge I think... Unless of course you plan to tether all month long
  • Reply 133 of 263
    drewintxdrewintx Posts: 1member
    I smell an iRipOff
  • Reply 134 of 263
    Quote:

If he gives it to you have to switch your current ineligible plan to the EDGE iPhone. That will cost an activation fee and whatever cancelation fee is required. Unlocking and moving the SIM won't make it eligible as the contract will still be under the old handset.

Why? In that case, the iPhone isn't subsidized by AT&T. Why would you have to pay a cancellation fee? Why can't you just move the SIM and upgrade at home (for the first iPhone)?
  • Reply 135 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathansmart View Post

Why? In that case, the iPhone isn't subsidized by AT&T. Why would you have to pay a cancellation fee? Why can't you just move the SIM and upgrade at home (for the first iPhone)?

Go back to the original message. He currently has an ineligible phone. To move to his friend's old iPhone he needs to first pay the cancelation fee on the ineligible cellphone he is currently using.
  • Reply 136 of 263
    accbbsdb
  • Reply 137 of 263
    Quote:

Go back to the original message. He currently has an ineligible phone. To move to his friend's old iPhone he needs to first pay the cancelation fee on the ineligible cellphone he is currently using.

but when my dad updated to an iPhone he wasn't eligible for an upgrade but he didn't have to pay a cancellation fee...
  • Reply 138 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathansmart View Post

but when my dad updated to an iPhone he wasn't eligible for an upgrade but he didn't have to pay a cancellation fee...

Was that when it first came out? Had he had this current phone for while? As previously states, they can wave those fees as they see fit but I wouldn't rely on them doing it because it was done before.

What I'm reading a lot here are a lot of people trying to pull a fast one over AT&T buy getting a ~$200 handset for free and then within a few months buying an iPhone for $199. Some may be savvy or lucky enough to do it but as a general rule it's not going to happen that way.
  • Reply 139 of 263
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:

Just to be clear, the $599 and $699 price for the un-subsidized, contract-free iPhone is still locked to AT&T.

You'll have to contact AT&T to be certain, but if you bought a phone before your eligible date has come you can't buy the iPhone at the $199/$299 price.

If it has been within 30 days, it may benefit you to return your current phone and wait the 10 days for the iPhone.

I know I am still locked to AT&T - which sucks ! Actually, I hadn't signed up to that family plan, but I was considering moving to AT&T and get those free (non-iPhone) for two lines and then buy an iPhone and update one of the regular line with data plan and give that another phone to my son on additional line. Here are my objectives (and I want to acheive all of them) -
    1. Get a 2-line family voice-plan

2. Get these 2 phones (non-iPhone, such as LG Shine) for FREE

3. After July 11th, go buy the subsidized $199 iPhone and upgrade one of the original lines with data plan.

4. Give one of those non-iPhone to my son add a third-line.

5. End up with one iPhone ($199) and two regular phones (Free) with 2 years contracts and paying $70 (shared analog lines) + $30 for data-plan on the iPhone.

• Reply 140 of 263
    Quote:

Was that when it first came out? Had he had this current phone for while? As previously states, they can wave those fees as they see fit but I wouldn't rely on them doing it because it was done before.

No, it was actually a couple of months ago and no, he wasn't eligible for an upgrade. We bought the phone on Apple's online store and then activated it through iTunes. We didn't deal with AT&T at all.