Could I use AOL IM to perform text messaging instead of AT&T SMS messaging service?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T is adding an extra cost for text messaging (SMS).

Could I use AOL IM to perform text messaging instead of paying for AT&T's SMS messaging service?

If AOL can deliver my text messages when I'm offline, then I see no reason for me to have SMS messaging. And right now I use an IM client on my PC for my instant messaging.

Or maybe email can work just fine. Email is almost instant enough for my type of communication. I don't mind a delay of a few minutes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

AT&T is adding an extra cost for text messaging (SMS).

Could I use AOL IM to perform text messaging instead of paying for AT&T's SMS messaging service?

If AOL can deliver my text messages when I'm offline, then I see no reason for me to have SMS messaging. And right now I use an IM client on my PC for my instant messaging.

Or maybe email can work just fine. Email is almost instant enough for my type of communication. I don't mind a delay of a few minutes.

Furthermore, for years now, the AIM instant message protocol has been able to send and receive messages to and from mobile phones.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

No. SMS is a cellphone technology. SMS messages may be sent between any two SMS-compatible phones irrespective of carrier. AIM is an AOL technology. AIM messages may be sent between any two AIM-compatible clients. AIM messages do not go outside AOL's network. iChat is the OS X AIM client from Apple. Many of us were surprised and disappointed that the original iPhone did not include iChat. Perhaps, the iPhone 3G will have it. If not, perhaps AOL will release an AIM client for the iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Furthermore, for years now, the AIM instant message protocol has been able to send and receive messages to and from mobile phones.

But will it be available on the iPhone?

Will it work just like IM does on a Mac/PC?

Or does it not work in the background?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    AIM is not new to cellphones. It is not new to AT&T. My MotoRAZR from AT&T has it. Apple has made a decision that iPhone apps do not and will not run in the background. You should know that if iChat is ported to the iPhone, that it be better than AIM on other phones. It will, however, run only in foreground.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    While we don't yet know the state of iChat on the iPhone. We have seen that AOL will have AIM for the iPhone. I'm sure their will be many other AIM clients on the phone.

Apple will have a push service so that AIM will receive meassages without running in the background draining battery life.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

AIM is not new to cellphones. It is not new to AT&T. My MotoRAZR from AT&T has it. Apple has made a decision that iPhone apps do not and will not run in the background. You should know that if iChat is ported to the iPhone, that it be better than AIM on other phones. It will, however, run only in foreground.

Apple has already announced that they are providing a service that will allow for applications to accept connections even when that particular app is not running
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Many are not happy with AT&T's iPhone pricing plan, and I'm looking for some alternatives to paying for text messaging. If AIM is available for the iPhone, and can perform similar to SMS, then why not go AIM when it's free?

If AOL AIM is provided for the iPhone, then we wouldn't have to pay AT&T the extra money for SMS text messaging?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I understand that AIM clients can be used to send SMS messages to other people's phones, but if someone texts your cellphone number, it'll still come thru as a 20 cent SMS to your phone, no? I don't see how your AIM client could intercept the SMS message.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I understand that AIM clients can be used to send SMS messages to other people's phones, but if someone texts your cellphone number, it'll still come thru as a 20 cent SMS to your phone, no? I don't see how your AIM client could intercept the SMS message.

Wouldn't the SMS message come back through AIM so only the other party would be paying? I'' have to look into that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

While we don't yet know the state of iChat on the iPhone. We have seen that AOL will have AIM for the iPhone. I'm sure their will be many other AIM clients on the phone.

Apple will have a push service so that AIM will receive meassages without running in the background draining battery life.

PUSH services will solve the issue with running AIM in the back ground but what we really don't know is it Apple will let AOL port AIM and if they do if it will be allowed to run over the AT&T network or just when your on WiFi. I suspect that if they don't AOL will yell loud enough you'll here it from the east coast to the west and that they would tell Apple that if they don't that Apple can just stop using their AIM network. If that does not work I suspect legal action just might follow.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Mr. Me is incorrect. you can SMS with ichat. do it now, start a new message, and in place of the screenname, type +1 (if in america) and type your phone number, then type a quick test message... you will get it as an SMS to your cell phone. if you reply with your cellphone to that sms, you will get that message back in your ichat window.

yes, if someone texts your number it will still come in as an SMS, but if you tell them to reply to a message that you already started with them over AIM, that will be sent to your mobiles AIM and you won't be charged. it's a little more difficult, but there is ways around it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

PUSH services will solve the issue with running AIM in the back ground but what we really don't know is it Apple will let AOL port AIM and if they do if it will be allowed to run over the AT&T network or just when your on WiFi. I suspect that if they don't AOL will yell loud enough you'll here it from the east coast to the west and that they would tell Apple that if they don't that Apple can just stop using their AIM network. If that does not work I suspect legal action just might follow.

There is an AOL AIM client its been shown numerous times at Apple keynotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFonklxWmTk
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

There is an AOL AIM client its been shown numerous times at Apple keynotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFonklxWmTk

I've seen that the question is will Apple let them offer it to the public?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Well, considering that Apple invited them to their SDK launch, and have them featured in their iPhone 3G video; I'd say it was a pretty good chance..
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Apple invited AOL to use the SDK to make an AIM client for the iPhone. I'm not sure how you then question if Apple will allow it to be released to the public.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post

Well, considering that Apple invited them to their SDK launch, and have them featured in their iPhone 3G video; I'd say it was a pretty good chance..

Quote:

Apple invited AOL to use the SDK to make an AIM client for the iPhone. I'm not sure how you then question if Apple will allow it to be released to the public.

Because I don't trust AT&T. I think they'll complain to Apple that AIM is not allowed by contract because it eats into AT&T's over priced SMS business. If that was not the case then why didn't Apple go ahead and add it to iChat in version 2.0? If Apple did that there is no reason for AIM on the iPhone.

Then maybe it's a way for Apple to get around the contract. We'll just have to wait till the 11th to find out.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Just saw that Google Talk is now for the iphone:

http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/talk/
  • Reply 17 of 22
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    you beat to this google thing, so what's up, if i can get internet on 2g 3g or wifi, isn't this for IM, sms or only when on wifi? i can't wait for the apps store and operationally we won't have these things answered without a working model, AND the apps store. since if in the apps store it has been tested, and approved...correct?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

you beat to this google thing, so what's up, if i can get internet on 2g 3g or wifi, isn't this for IM, sms or only when on wifi? i can't wait for the apps store and operationally we won't have these things answered without a working model, AND the apps store. since if in the apps store it has been tested, and approved...correct?

The problem I see with Google Talk is that Safari needs to run in the background. Which is something I dislike about IM services on a phone. The great thing I liked about the iPhone is the simplicity. Tacking on stuff takes away from that elegance. I also don't want to accidentally surf away from my IM conversation, or accidentally close the app. But paying the extra $15+ a month for SMS doesn't seem worth it.

Using email might be the better option for me.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Because I don't trust AT&T. I think they'll complain to Apple that AIM is not allowed by contract because it eats into AT&T's over priced SMS business. If that was not the case then why didn't Apple go ahead and add it to iChat in version 2.0? If Apple did that there is no reason for AIM on the iPhone.

Ever heard of occams razor? You are over thinking and making it more complicated than it really is.