AT&T says original iPhones can be deactivated and used as WiFi iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    THis is AWESOME news i think.

IF you can use the iphone as a wifi ipod...WITHOUT the expensive ATT 2 year contract, then you CAN use it as a VOiP phone with services like SKYPE or YAHOO VOICE right?

I use Yahoo voice on my laptop, and it's GREAT. The rates are SUPER cheap, and you're not locked in....and you can call others users for FREE and internationally to phones for 1 or 2 cents a minute.

Also I heard that ATT will soon release a 3G pay as you go iphone...which means that you could choose NOT to pay and your 3G iphone would in fact become a WiFi ipod as well...which you could use as a SKYPE or YAHOO VOICE VOiP phone too. heh heh heh.

Me likey! :-)
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronart View Post

Also, I have not read anywhere, will the 3G phone work on the old Edge data network?

To put your fears to rest, there has been official information release (I believe within the 'iphone 3g tour' that lets explains that the phone auto defaults to the highest setting it can use (EDGE, 3G, WIFI).
  • Reply 23 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I don't see where the article says that at all. The context is for orig iPhone owners who choose NOT to re-activate.

I think this kind of person might as well re-sell it. It's worth more as money than it is as a backup device. 1st Gen 8GB iPhones are going for $450 last I checked, a replacement iPhone 3G would be $399. So, sell it now, save the money, and if you need to replace it, you have the money for a new one.

There are some exceptions, like if you want to go overseas, then the old one can still be cracked and used with an overseas SIM. Another exception might be if you absolutely have to have a backup unit that the time to go and buy a replacement is a problem.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    noriyorinoriyori Posts: 26member
    wow. when I first read this I thought I had accidentally clicked on the link for the onion feed.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    We seem to forget that an inactivated iPhone is a WiFi-enabled iPod touch . . . with a crappy camera!

All kidding aside, the cheapest option for existing iPhone owners is KEEP YOUR OLD iPHONE!

Paying an extra $10/mo. for data that comes to you 3x faster seems worth it. I'd like to do some real world testing to compare my SexyBack (my new nickname for my 1G iPhone with the sensuous aluminum back) to one of my early adopter friend's 3G to see the real speed difference between the networks.

It's the SMS surcharge that pisses me off. I don't use SMS much, but I don't use it not at all (intentional double negative for emphasis). Between that screwing and the non-improvement of the camera is compelling me to take a pass on this incarnation of the superPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noriyori View Post

wow. when I first read this I thought I had accidentally clicked on the link for the onion feed.

The Onion story said you could use a deactivated first-gen iPhone as a Zune!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'm glad there's at least been an announcement about what will happen with 1st gen iPhones if people do upgrade and decide to keep the first edition lying around. They still haven't said the unlock word though.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Look, I am no fan of the telcos, but I find the vitriol directed at ATT (and Apple) in many comments above to be over-the-top and a tad immature.

Do you have the right to own the new version of any piece of hardware? Who says you have to upgrade? Why the heck did you buy your iPhoneV1 then?
  • Reply 29 of 77
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Yeah, for all the "WTF AT&T'ers" out there, when was the last time your old cellphone had any use whatsoever?!?!

Just like most Apple products the resale value is strong and people will use them for almost twice as long as other makers.

I'd love to switch to SKYPE, I hope whomever gets this to work posts it on one of these forums rather than some obscure hacker site.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    marklarkmarklark Posts: 30member
    Don't forget that an unactivated phone can still call '911.'
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Well… if I can use a one-year-old iPhone as an iPod Touch, does that mean I could -- in theory -- purchase a new 3G iPhone for $199, not activate it, and use it as an iPod Touch, thus saving $100?
  • Reply 32 of 77
    noriyorinoriyori Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The Onion story said you could use a deactivated first-gen iPhone as a Zune!

LOLZ!

I just wish the 3G had some of these features...http://www.theonion.com/content/info...les_new_iphone
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijah M View Post

Well? if I can use a one-year-old iPhone as an iPod Touch, does that mean I could -- in theory -- purchase a new 3G iPhone for $199, not activate it, and use it as an iPod Touch, thus saving $100?

No, contracts have to be signed at the moment of purchase...and so do the payments. You don't have to activate it, but you'll still be paying $70+ a month for it.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    The unbelievable arrogance of AT&T here is truly beyond any sane, non-obscene response.

Where do they come off, INFORMING people that they're "allowed" to use the retired iPhone as a non-phone device? We need to be TOLD this? And who the hell is AT&T but a big, uncreative, slovenly -- and I might add, phone-tapping -- leech, sucking off Apple's hard work and creativity?

Not that Apple's been conducting itself flawlessly in all this, either. Their continued head-in-the-sand (I could say elsewhere) attitude toward the very CONCEPT of a phone being unlocked is winning them no friends.

It's enough for me to go around offering free unlocking to iPhone users -- "retired" phone or not -- just on principle. Come join me and my unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. You might get screwed by them, too, but it's a lot less painful, it costs less, and (as far as we know) you're not giving money to a (more-than-normal) criminal corporation that shucks and jives for the NSA at the drop of a hat.

Like I said . . . I'm refraining from expressing the REAL rage . . .
  • Reply 35 of 77
    bautecbautec Posts: 1member
    If anyone wants to get rid of their old iphone after they get their new 3G beauty, let me know. I am interested in picking one of these discarded bad boys up.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post

The unbelievable arrogance of AT&T here is truly beyond any sane, non-obscene response.

Where do they come off, INFORMING people that they're "allowed" to use the retired iPhone as a non-phone device? We need to be TOLD this? And who the hell is AT&T but a big, uncreative, slovenly -- and I might add, phone-tapping -- leech, sucking off Apple's hard work and creativity?

Not that Apple's been conducting itself flawlessly in all this, either. Their continued head-in-the-sand (I could say elsewhere) attitude toward the very CONCEPT of a phone being unlocked is winning them no friends.

It's enough for me to go around offering free unlocking to iPhone users -- "retired" phone or not -- just on principle. Come join me and my unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. You might get screwed by them, too, but it's a lot less painful, it costs less, and (as far as we know) you're not giving money to a (more-than-normal) criminal corporation that shucks and jives for the NSA at the drop of a hat.

Like I said . . . I'm refraining from expressing the REAL rage . . .

Jeez, dude...

With everything from the war, to gas prices, to global warming, to the dismantling of our constitution, and THIS is what you choose to top your 'things to be really really angry about' list?

Talk about 'head-in-the-sand'.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    lonestar1lonestar1 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

I'm not quite sure what you're complaining about. You can use your old iPhone any way you want. As a phone, as an iPod, as a paperweight, or as a doorstop. You can keep it, give it away, sell it, or flush it down the toilet. It's entirely up to you. It's probably worth less now than it was new, but how is that different from any other piece of one-year old, used electronic equipment?

But there's no pony!

If Apple and AT&T weren't evil selfish bastards, they would buy every upgrader a pony!

It's amazing the sense of entitlement some people have today.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    commonsensecommonsense Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jeez, dude...

With everything from the war, to gas prices, to global warming, to the dismantling of our constitution, and THIS is what you choose to top your 'things to be really really angry about' list?

Talk about 'head-in-the-sand'.

Well, given that my original intent with boycotting AT&T has to do with their involvement in warrantless wiretapping, which ties into the whole "our freedoms are all going down the toilet" theme, I'd say it stems from a pretty valid reason.

Also, please show me where I implied that this is at the top of my list of things to be angry about. Or where it's stated that one can only be mad about one thing at any one time. Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    tantrumtantrum Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronart View Post

Seems like the first issue to think about is when and if you can get 3G service in your primary hunting grounds. I live just south of Santa Rosa California. Looks like I am 5 to 8 miles out of the service area.

Also, I have not read anywhere, will the 3G phone work on the old Edge data network?

Barry Gamble

iPhone 3G works just fine on EDGE.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    The question is , can this WiFi iPhone be used as a VOIP phone?