MobileMe Push to Calendar

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know it's hard to determine this without it being released yet, but I was hoping that maybe someone has some "inside" information. I'm curious how MobileMe will push calendar data to a Outlook. Watching the video demos I've seen two different ways it has pushed to the Outlook (1. it pushes the multiple calendars from iCal to the main calendar in Outlook and separates them using categories. 2. it pushes the multiple calendars from iCal to multiple calendars in Outlook).

The reason I ask is I most likely will not be getting the iPhone since AT&T is bad in may area, but I love the MobileMe concept and want it to work with my current phone (which is connected to my work's exchange server). Unfortunately, in order for that to work properly, I need all of the calendars to push into the main calendar on my Outlook so the Exchange server recognizes all of my events.

If anyone knows how it will be pushed to Outlook, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You're not using an iPhone, so Apple may have built-in protection to not allow your phone to connect to MobileMe. Apple will not support MobileMe on any device but the iPhone.

Additionally, Windows Mobile phones can only connect to one Exchange server at a time. This is a "feature" of ActiveSync. You can have multiple email accounts (POP) but only one Exchange account.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I wouldnt be trying to connect MobileMe to my phone directly. I know that it only works with the iPhone; however, MobileMe will sync the contacts and calendar to Outlook.

My company's exchange server syncs with my phone, hence the question if MobileMe pushes multiple calendars into Outlook as one main calendar (which would allow my exchange server to pick up all of my events for my phone) or multiple calendars (which would only sync one of the calendars to my phone).

During the video demos of MobileMe, Apple actually showed BOTH methods when showing how calendar is pushed to Outlook. That's why I'm asking if anyone know which way it will actually be or if there will be a feature to do both methods.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

I wouldnt be trying to connect MobileMe to my phone directly. I know that it only works with the iPhone; however, MobileMe will sync the contacts and calendar to Outlook.

My company's exchange server syncs with my phone, hence the question if MobileMe pushes multiple calendars into Outlook as one main calendar (which would allow my exchange server to pick up all of my events for my phone) or multiple calendars (which would only sync one of the calendars to my phone).

During the video demos of MobileMe, Apple actually showed BOTH methods when showing how calendar is pushed to Outlook. That's why I'm asking if anyone know which way it will actually be or if there will be a feature to do both methods.

Ok, I understand now but I don't know the answer
  • Reply 4 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Questions, no answers.

Isn't the enterprise version of Outlook different than the consumer version? And if so, there could be a chance that MobileMe will only work with consumer version.

Can the enterprise version of Outlook even sync to two servers? Maybe someone out there has successfully synced their work Outlook to both Exchange and Google.

And if the enterprise version can sync to two servers, is this something that the corporate IT folks can lock out?

My suspicion is that the enterprise Outlook client will not be able to sync to two servers but that the iPhone can. Than the question becomes can I take a work event/contact from the Exchange environment to the iPhone and then to MobileMe and finally to iCal/Address Book on my home Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Questions, no answers.

Isn't the enterprise version of Outlook different than the consumer version? And if so, there could be a chance that MobileMe will only work with consumer version.

Can the enterprise version of Outlook even sync to two servers? Maybe someone out there has successfully synced their work Outlook to both Exchange and Google.

And if the enterprise version can sync to two servers, is this something that the corporate IT folks can lock out?

My suspicion is that the enterprise Outlook client will not be able to sync to two servers but that the iPhone can. Than the question becomes can I take a work event/contact from the Exchange environment to the iPhone and then to MobileMe and finally to iCal/Address Book on my home Mac.

Outlook is Outlook from my experience. I haven't seen different versions.

I am able to link my calendars and contacts right now for free using Plaxo. But Plaxo has been kind of shoddy and also links my multiple calendars on iCal to multiple calendars on Outlook (which is what I'm trying to see if MobileMe fixes).

So to answer your question, yes Outlook can sync with multiple servers as I currently sync with my company's exchange server and the Plaxo server.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Thank you.

When I last looked at this (several years ago) I came away with the impression that the Outlook client on my friends home computer was totally different from the Outlook clients on our work computers. I do remember that he had the same lack of success in transferring data off of his work machine onto his home machine that I was having with my Mac. So I assumed that Outlook was two separate beasts with the same name.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Thank you.

When I last looked at this (several years ago) I came away with the impression that the Outlook client on my friends home computer was totally different from the Outlook clients on our work computers. I do remember that he had the same lack of success in transferring data off of his work machine onto his home machine that I was having with my Mac. So I assumed that Outlook was two separate beasts with the same name.

No worries. I know Outlook changes here and there with their new releases (ie Office 2003 to Office 2007). Now that I think of it there are a couple versions of 2003 (ie one with Business Contact Manager); however, I still think there isn't a significant difference in Outlook itself to cause issues like you were talking about.

This would be much easier if the iPhone were for Verizon....
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me. Here is my Setup:

1. I have MobileMe on my Home Imac via System Preferences set to replace all the data on my Mac with Data from MobileMe.

2. I have MobileMe on my corporate system (Win XP Pro) & MS Exchange Server set to Sync data from Exchange Server (PC) to MobileMe.

3. I have my Iphone with the 2.0 software and set to receive "Push Mail, Contacts, and Calendar".

All my personal .Me email pushes perfectly to the Iphone; All my corporate email, contacts and calendar pushes perfectly to the Iphone from Exchange.

So far so good. All is perfect on PC & Iphone. BTW, I have my .Me personal mail setup on Outlook at work as well.

Now, I back at home, I want MobileMe to push my Exchange Calendar from MobileMe to Ical. Anyone know how to accomplish this? At home on the Mac, again, MobileMe in the System Preferences is set to Replace data on computer with data from MobileMe. So, it should see the Exchange Calendar from MobileMe and sync it to Ical, but it's not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Do I understand you correctly: You are able to get Mobile Me to push your exchange calendar and contacts to the "cloud" from your outlook PC (which gets its info from exchange) to the Mobile Me website? I'm not able to do that...Mobile Me says it's sync'ing but none of the info makes it up to the cloud for some reason....

Do I have that correct?

RJB

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pnadeau207 View Post

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me. Here is my Setup:

1. I have MobileMe on my Home Imac via System Preferences set to replace all the data on my Mac with Data from MobileMe.

2. I have MobileMe on my corporate system (Win XP Pro) & MS Exchange Server set to Sync data from Exchange Server (PC) to MobileMe.

3. I have my Iphone with the 2.0 software and set to receive "Push Mail, Contacts, and Calendar".

All my personal .Me email pushes perfectly to the Iphone; All my corporate email, contacts and calendar pushes perfectly to the Iphone from Exchange.

So far so good. All is perfect on PC & Iphone. BTW, I have my .Me personal mail setup on Outlook at work as well.

Now, I back at home, I want MobileMe to push my Exchange Calendar from MobileMe to Ical. Anyone know how to accomplish this? At home on the Mac, again, MobileMe in the System Preferences is set to Replace data on computer with data from MobileMe. So, it should see the Exchange Calendar from MobileMe and sync it to Ical, but it's not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbleicher View Post

Do I understand you correctly: You are able to get Mobile Me to push your exchange calendar and contacts to the "cloud" from your outlook PC (which gets its info from exchange) to the Mobile Me website? I'm not able to do that...Mobile Me says it's sync'ing but none of the info makes it up to the cloud for some reason....

Do I have that correct?

RJB

My exchange information (mail, contacts, calendar) are pushing only to my iphone. NOT Mobileme. I am mostly concerned with my Calendar information. I am thinking the work around maybe (on PC) to share my regular Outlook Calendar with my Exchange Calendar (also within Outlook 2007). It appears the only calendar that will sync to MobileMe is the default calendar of Outlook. So, I'm thinking that if there is a way to sync my Exchange Calendar to the default calendar within Outlook, it would then Push/Sync the default calendar to MobileMe. Did that make sense? lol

Paul