Annoyed by Safari's blank tabs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok so I've search the new and there seems to be no solution to customizing new tabs in Safari.

Every time I open a new tab I have to either press the home button to get Google or type in a url.

Quite irritating. And yes I'm aware that there is still a Google search field on the top right I can use even in a blank tab but that's not the point. I prefer to have options available to me.

Any workaround or 3rd party utility/plugin available?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If I understand you, you want a new tab to automatically open a default page? I'm not sure why it doesn't give you that option (but how often is the default page the one you wanted to go to in a new tab anyway?).

Oh and did you know that you can hold the Apple/command key and click on a link, and it will create a new tab from that link?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Yes I knew that. Thanks. Unfortunately all of Safari's tab features are nothing new if you've used Firefox before.

The point is not how often I will need it, but how convenient it would be to have for the few times I'd like to have it. It just seems like an obvious thing to implement.

Open a new tab in my home page I set in the Safari preferences. How difficult could it be?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    They fixed it in the new version of Safari. The Safari 4 preview is available for download:

http://theunixgeek.blogspot.com/2008...-4-review.html

It would surely be a simple update to Safari 3 but other simple things include leaving Bootcamp active for Tiger users or fixing the Finder grid spacing. Apple just seem to move on and we're all supposed to run after them paying for upgrades no matter what else gets broken along the way.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They fixed it in the new version of Safari. The Safari 4 preview is available for download:

http://theunixgeek.blogspot.com/2008...-4-review.html

It would surely be a simple update to Safari 3 but other simple things include leaving Bootcamp active for Tiger users or fixing the Finder grid spacing. Apple just seem to move on and we're all supposed to run after them paying for upgrades no matter what else gets broken along the way.

youre right! Downloaded and I'm using it right now! It kicks butt!

Thanks