Whats the best way to set up Hotmail on iphone/ipod tpouch?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If I wanted to check my hotmail is the best way to just go to hotmail.com and sign in from there or does an account need to be set up?

There are tonnes of videos on youtube about setting up a hotmail account using the mail app. Prety much all of them say to use something called izzymail and the videoposter just gets slagged off.

Any of you managed to do this? If so whats the best way?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I would wait for iPhone 2.0 software. There will be countless new programs to choose from at that point. IMHO
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I would wait for iPhone 2.0 software. There will be countless new programs to choose from at that point. IMHO

So at present there isnt really a decent solution?

Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So at present there isnt really a decent solution?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a Live or Hotmail account so don't quote me but I was under the impression that they don't support POP or IMAP. So, going to the website would be the only way to check your mail.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Cool thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Yeah, you have to use forwarding. I have that set up for my hotmail and gmail so i receive my hotmail crap in my mail.app on my macbook pro.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    How did you do that?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Hotmail is a very inflexible email service. It does not support IMAP or POP. MS wants you to view their ads. I would suggest using another less restricted email service.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Ah crap but ive been using that email address for years! I guess ill have to stick to just using it as webmail.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    bavlondon2,

I am on the same situation as you.

Hopefully iPhone 2.0 will have a solution or someone will create an app to retrieve emails from hotmail. There are lots of people on this same conundrum.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I have a Hotmail.com account (held it for over 12 years), a BT Yahoo account and also a .Mac account (to which my dmain name emails are forwarded to.)

I have all mail from BT Yahoo and Hotmail forwarded to my .Mac account so that all of my mail only comes to one account for my iPhone.

I did at one point have everything forwarding to my BT Yahoo account which was then pushing email to my iPhone. Once Apple announced Mobile Me I switched the forwarding back to my .Mac account.

On hotmail all of my mail is forwarded and no copies are left on the hotmail servers so I never need to logon to hotmail.com again
  • Reply 11 of 14
    If you have a paid Hotmail account, you automatically have POP3 access (althought its not advertised)

Here's a link to setup a paid Hotmail Plus account: http://get.live.com/mailplus/features

Here are the settings you'll need:

* POP (incoming) server: pop3.live.com

* POP port: 995

* POP SSL required: yes

* POP user name: your complete Windows Live Hotmail address (including "@hotmail.com", "@live.com", etc.)

* POP password: your Windows Live Hotmail password

* SMTP (outgoing) server: smtp.live.com

* SMTP port: 25

* SMTP SSL required: yes

* SMTP authentication: yes

* SMTP user name: your full Windows Live Hotmail email address

* SMTP password: your Windows Live Hotmail password
  • Reply 12 of 14
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    This is what i did. You don't need to pay for anything. I have more than one account, i have a gmail and a hotmail. I just make my hotmail forward all the mail to my gmail, and seeing as gmail is useable on the mail.app you can use that account, and all your hotmail mail will be sent to your iphone. Period.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

If I wanted to check my hotmail is the best way to just go to hotmail.com and sign in from there or does an account need to be set up?

There are tonnes of videos on youtube about setting up a hotmail account using the mail app. Prety much all of them say to use something called izzymail and the videoposter just gets slagged off.

Any of you managed to do this? If so whats the best way?

Thanks

If you buy Microsoft Office for Mac you can use Entourage, too
  • Reply 14 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundz714 View Post

If you have a paid Hotmail account, you automatically have POP3 access (althought its not advertised)

That says a lot about MS. While nearly every other email service is offering IMAP and in some cases push email. You have to pay for POP from Hotmail.