New Macbooks this month? or not??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys,

Should we be expecting some sort of announcement on the next gen macbooks this month?? surely apple arent going to leave it til august considering the education market (august would be too late right??)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    icd-evilicd-evil Posts: 66member
    I wouldn't count on it. Intel doesn't officialy release the new chipsets until July 14th. Historically it has taken about almost of month after a new chipset release to bring out the new hardware.

Although, in this case they more than likely had everything planned out earlier and were only delayed by Intel, so it is very possible that they have all of the new Macbooks sitting and waiting for Montevina to arrive, in which case we may see them sooner than expected.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    eddieauseddieaus Posts: 12member
    most of the notebook makers have their press event right after Intel, i know Sony Vaio's event is on 15th July in Germany. so i really hope Apple can suprise us with a big announcement.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think very unlikely, though of course, you never know.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    suitramsuitram Posts: 3member
    so when it comes out, should i get the new 'better' mac book with a 3 yr warranty, or buy the last old one- probbably cheaper and with less defaults... any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I wouldn't go as far to say problem free...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1423301
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Surely Apple don't want to disrupt their education sales (promo going on right now) by introducing or announcing a new macbook until after the promo ends (august?)

As someone here already pointed out Apple will use their education back to school promo to exhaust their inventory ready for the refresh.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james948 View Post

Surely Apple don't want to disrupt their education sales (promo going on right now) by introducing or announcing a new macbook until after the promo ends (august?)

As someone here already pointed out Apple will use their education back to school promo to exhaust their inventory ready for the refresh.

yes they would they did it with the imac last year or a couple years ago. and no they would not want to use it just to exhaust inventory when tons of apple sales are going to come from the back to school rush. also sony already wants to launch their montevina macbook july 15th (the day after it comes out) apple would be retarded not to release it before college starts. i say mid-late july early aug
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rq42 View Post

Hi guys,

Should we be expecting some sort of announcement on the next gen macbooks this month?? surely apple arent going to leave it til august considering the education market (august would be too late right??)

July is all iPhone 3G, all the time.

No new portables until Aug/Sept.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    james948james948 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidson1153 View Post

yes they would they did it with the imac last year or a couple years ago. and no they would not want to use it just to exhaust inventory when tons of apple sales are going to come from the back to school rush. also sony already wants to launch their montevina macbook july 15th (the day after it comes out) apple would be retarded not to release it before college starts. i say mid-late july early aug

Yeah. I see your point.

Although I would have thought the back to school sales would happen no matter whether they release a new macbook or not.

You have, however, given me hope for a new macbook soon! I am holding out but, god, is it hard.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ya i am desperately waiting too. i need it to come out soon i go back aug 12th and we have tax free where i live aug 1-3 and i will buy it then then i guess i only have 14 days to return it. but it wouldnt make sense for it not to come out since many of the pc companies are supposed to have the new montevina chips in there laptops by the back to school rush. hopefully apple has all the new macbooks with their new cases lined up just waiting for the chip on july 14th. that would be amazing
  • Reply 11 of 16
    i really need the new macbooks to come out before my college orientation in mid-august, and i'd love for them to be out this month so that i could break mine in and get used to it before go-time in school. i had the opportunity to buy my macbook in mid-june, and was about to, but then i decided to stick with my guns and wait till the updates, do or die. and by die, i mean that i'm going to be so angry that i'll have to kill someone if new ones aren't out by orientation, lol.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    I doubt that they would want to take the focus off of the iPhone so soon after release, so I doubt that they will announce new Macbooks immediately when Montevina launches on the 14th or whatever. However, I'm also sure that they want to get them out ASAP for the back-to-the-school season, especially since all the PC manufacturers will be marketing their new models and offering large discounts on their older ones. It's really anyone's guess as to how the two competing forces will balance, but I would think that the new macbooks would be announced sometime during the fourth week of July, which allows roughly two weeks for the iPhone 3G hype to subside but is also soon enough to lessen any impact on back-to-school sales...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    i wasnt saying thats when they would release them i just hope thats when they will be ready fro the market. i agree with you that apple will wait until the iphone craze dies down. i think late july early aug. i know sonys montevina laptops are supposed to come out the july 15th. do you agree that apple will do it before the back to school. if not there are going to be some angry students that just recently purchase an "old" macbook at full price. i really would like the aluminum cases though. i dont really care when then are release just anything before aug 12
  • Reply 14 of 16
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rq42 View Post

Hi guys,

I have an answer for you, and you'll be glad to know that you were right! The next generation MacBooks will come this month, or maybe not!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidson1153 View Post

i wasnt saying thats when they would release them i just hope thats when they will be ready fro the market. i agree with you that apple will wait until the iphone craze dies down. i think late july early aug. i know sonys montevina laptops are supposed to come out the july 15th. do you agree that apple will do it before the back to school. if not there are going to be some angry students that just recently purchase an "old" macbook at full price. i really would like the aluminum cases though. i dont really care when then are release just anything before aug 12

Yea, I think they are going to try to drop them on the market right after the iPhone hype hits its apex, which I would think would easily come before August 12th, and probably in July, so I would assume you'll be able to make your deadline. Are you leaving for college from home on that date or something?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ya thats when i leave for football. i need it for then so i can play around with it and transfer all my stuff and everything