Using Mail.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there, please forgive me if this question has been covered somewhere before.

So i would like to know this....how do you actually go about using Mail? Firstly do you have to be using .Mac (soon to be MobileMe) to use Mail? I currently use Hotmail, is there a way to retrieve my mail from this through Mail? And how do you know what account type you have? (Pop, IMAP and Exchange?). Description, incoming mail server??

If somebody could help me with this or possibly point me to a link which explains these, would be appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You do not need a dot Mac/MobileMe account, Mail can handle POP, IMAP and Exchange accounts. What email client are you using now? The reason I ask is that the free version of Hotmail is designed to work with web browsers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

You do not need a dot Mac/MobileMe account, Mail can handle POP, IMAP and Exchange accounts. What email client are you using now? The reason I ask is that the free version of Hotmail is designed to work with web browsers.

Thank you for your response. I am using the 'free' version of Hotmail. Forgive me for being ignorant/stupid here, but what exactly does 'email client' mean? I just assumed that most people used something akin to Hotmail??

I don't understand (also the difference) what POP, IMAP, Exchange mean?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumpmanair View Post

Hi there, please forgive me if this question has been covered somewhere before.

So i would like to know this....how do you actually go about using Mail? Firstly do you have to be using .Mac (soon to be MobileMe) to use Mail? I currently use Hotmail, is there a way to retrieve my mail from this through Mail? And how do you know what account type you have? (Pop, IMAP and Exchange?). Description, incoming mail server??

If somebody could help me with this or possibly point me to a link which explains these, would be appreciated! Thank you.

The first step is to just use Google Mail. Gmail.com ...ad free, and easy to use on the website, and you can easliy add it into Apple Mail (in the Apple Mail program click Mail, Preferences, Add Account, just after you enter you gmail address it will automatically configure).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The first step is to just use Google Mail. Gmail.com ...ad free, and easy to use on the website, and you can easliy add it into Apple Mail (in the Apple Mail program click Mail, Preferences, Add Account, just after you enter you gmail address it will automatically configure).

Thanks for the help. Regarding what you have stated, this isn't possible to do with Hotmail? Or, say Yahoo .. etc??
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Thanks for the help. Regarding what you have stated, this isn't possible to do with Hotmail? Or, say Yahoo .. etc??

It is not possible with Hotmail. It is possible with Yahoo and Gmail and any other email system that supports either IMAP or POP. If you have Microsoft Office for Mac you can use Entourage to connect to Hotmail
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

What do i put where it states the following; description and also incoming mail server?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

What do i put where it states the following; description and also incoming mail server?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=77663