German publisher drops 12,000 PCs for Mac; more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Business also needs to push apple to come out with a real desktop mid tower.

Apparently not.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

I hope you guys uninstalled flash 9 b4 installing flash 10 beta. Youtube works ok on mine.

Good point. I assumed that everyone had run the Flash uninstaller before installing the Flash 10 Beta. That's probably your problem.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Yeah, I agree with other people who says that Apple dont need to have a mid tower desktop. Most people who request these stuffs are gamers and if Apple deliver it, heck their next request would be fully upgradeable mid tower desktop.

If games is your life get a Windows PC, its much cheaper.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    They're most likely buying through a large distributor (you don't get 12,000 Macs from an Apple Store), and presumably they're getting some bulk discount, but I doubt they're getting the computers free or even at a significantly reduced cost.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if the computers were given freely by Apple or at a severely reduced cost as part of a fee for an intense, upcoming marketing campaign.
    "Axel Springer AG is one of the largest newspaper publishing companies in Europe, having over 150 newspapers and magazines in over 30 countries, including several Central and Eastern European countries: Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Russia and western European countries"
    Could Apple be using Springer's media juggernaut to advertise their products much more aggressively to the EU? IF you are going to do it, a liberal paper would be the place for Apple. The first German Apple Store is opening up this year in Munich, but that link seems purely coincidental considering the reach of Springer.
    "The five socio-political preambles that were written by Axel Springer in 1967, amended in 1990 following German reunification and supplemented in 2001 are part of the articles of association of Axel Springer AG. They paint a liberal picture of the world.
    ? To uphold liberty and law in Germany, a country belonging to the Western family of nations, and to further the unification of Europe.

? To promote reconciliation of Jews and Germans and support the vital rights of the State of Israel.

? To support the Transatlantic Alliance, and solidarity with the United States of America in the common values of free nations.

? To reject all forms of political extremism.

? To uphold the principles of a free social market economy. The corporate constitution defines fundamental sociopolitical convictions but does not offer opinions."

Actually, Springer was a well-known rightest who fought a public relations war with German leftist students during the 60s. Also, see the entry for Bild at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild

"Bild was modeled after the British tabloid Daily Mirror; although its paper size is bigger, this is reflected in its mix of celebrity gossip, crime stories and political analysis. However, its articles are often considerably shorter compared to those in British tabloids, and the whole paper is thinner as well. Bild has been known to use controversial devices like sensational headlines and invented "news" to increase its readership. The policy of having a topless woman on its front page virtually every day has also been criticised by German feminist groups.

From the outset, the editorial drift was unabashedly conservative and nationalist. The GDR was referred to as the Soviet Occupation Zone (German: Sowjetische Besatzungszone or SBZ). The usage continued well into the 1980s, when Bild began to use the GDR's official name cautiously, putting it in quotation marks. Bild heavily influenced public opinion against the German student movement of the years following 1967, after the assassination attempt on activist Rudi Dutschke. A popular catchphrase in left-wing circles sympathetic to student radicalism was "Bild hat mitgeschossen!" (Bild shot at him too). At the height of left-wing terrorism around 1977, Bild took a strong stance that could be said to have contributed to the climate of fear and suspicion.

After the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War in Europe, Bild's editorial stance seems to have become more centrist. Despite its general support for Germany's conservative parties and especially former chancellor Helmut Kohl. Its rhetoric, still populist in tone, is less fierce than it was thirty years ago. Its traditionally less conservative Sunday paper Bild am Sonntag even supported Gerhard Schröder, a Social Democrat, in his bid for chancellor in 1998."

[edit] "
  • Reply 26 of 75
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

They're most likely buying through a large distributor (you don't get 12,000 Macs from an Apple Store), and presumably they're getting some bulk discount, but I doubt they're getting the computers free or even at a significantly reduced cost.

I thought Apple would have talk with them directly. And you only need 2 - 3 big company in every continent to start it off. Salesforce.com in US.

Then they could start publishing article on how sucessful the switch was. Total Cost of Ownership lower due to lower server license etc.

And then software development will start for these company. Making ways for Apple into cooperate world.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    If Canada had a decent accounting package from a top tier software house (Intuit, MYOB, Sage) we'd see business conversions like these happening daily.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Flash is horrid not only on OS X but worse on Linux and they can't even be bothered to have a 64 bit Linux version. It's constantly eating CPU cycles and since it's not OpenMP aware could possibly use the other core(s) available.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Flash is horrid not only on OS X but worse on Linux and they can't even be bothered to have a 64 bit Linux version. It's constantly eating CPU cycles and since it's not OpenMP aware could possibly use the other core(s) available.

There isn't even a 64-bit Windows version of Flash. At this point, I can only assume that Adobe doesn't give a damn.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    All these years with Mac users having a slow Flash player and finally Abode hires someone who can use Shark on OS X.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    hmmm...the timing of this is interesting. a faster flash is likely to make itself more likeable by Steve? Is that their strategy? While also making life on iPhone more difficult without flash? (although no mobile platform really supports flash). And all just before the iPhone 3G launch...sounds like Adobe isn't in the position they want to be as the mobile platform world takes off!
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:

Those are all reasonable statements, but from my experience the thinking is a bit old school. The prices of computers have down so far over that many corporate IT departments don't do break/fix in-house, they just give you a new machine and ship the old off for repair or wait for an authorized service tech to make his rounds. Also, I can't recall a single Dell machine that didn't come with a monitor in several years.

But you don't want to be shipping out the Hard disk off for repair with rest of the system. also they may just end of swapping the hard disk to a other system while waiting for one to be fixed.

Some systems that come with a monitor have a lot choice and you get better ones by add $50+ more. Also you are free to move them around.

Also with the imac screen size is tied to cpu power and you may a need bigger screen but not that much cpu power or you may need a lot of power but don't have the room for the big screen that come with the imac also there is space that imac takes up with it's cd / DVD on the side.

Quote:

I've also seen companies use a great deal more notebooks, which are technically an AIO. I've seen these issued to people who aren't even traveling much as their main machine docked to a full size keyboard, monitor, mouse. When I started in the tech field notebooks were often loaned to people who were traveling and then turned back in when done. Could this be a trend that AIOs are becoming more popular in the workplace because companies aren't concerned with upgrading machines as much as they with downgrading the cost-center of the IT department with cheaper, less experienced staff and/or giving them higher concerns than troubleshooting a hardware issue?

• Reply 33 of 75
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

no so they can have a system that is easy to open up and replace parts in. Also there is need for people who don't need the power of the mac pro but the mini is too under powered for there work. The Imac build in screen is not that good for all kinds of work and in a office AIO do not fit in that well as screens get replaced at a differnt time scale that the rest of the system.

"…replace parts in…? What parts? Hard drives?

It is interesting that Apple has such a high customer satisfaction rate and if you check the discussion forum, as well as surveys re customer satisfaction in business, you would be hard pressed to find anybody postin the issues that you are attempting to raise.

Considering the current Mac rate of growth in consumer, education and business markets, your criticism doesn't appear to be justified.

Quote:

Right now the mini is very over priced for it's hardware next to other systems and it add up in a big office.

What other system runs OSX, XP, Vista and Linux?

Name any business software that won't run on a Mac Mini.

Now tell these folks that Mac Mini is under powered:
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Yeah, I agree with other people who says that Apple dont need to have a mid tower desktop. Most people who request these stuffs are gamers and if Apple deliver it, heck their next request would be fully upgradeable mid tower desktop.

If games is your life get a Windows PC, its much cheaper.

No pro uses want a system at $1200 to $2000 price that they got there g4 and g5 systems for. The mini is weak for it's price and the mac pro is over kill at $2300.

The imac would be nice if they HAD A GOOD SCREEN for that kind of work.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexius View Post

Flash 10 B2 breaks youtube here too...

try repairing permissions, every version of flash I've ever installed has had tremendous permissions issues & hasn't run properly until I repair & reboot.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
  • Reply 37 of 75
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    Add me to the list of folks who can't get Flash 10 beta 2 to work. I try to watch videos on CNN, and it comes up saying that a flash plugin is missing. Yes, I ran Adobe's "Uninstall Flash" program before installing the beta 2 of Flash 10, and searched the disk to make sure that both flashplayer.xpt and FlashPlayer.plugin were removed from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Then I installed the beta 2 Flash 10 and searched again. I don't know if this has something to do with it, but it only installed the flashplayer.xpt file and not the FlashPlayer.plugin file. Going back to Flash 9 until someone can help me out.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

But you don't want to be shipping out the Hard disk off for repair with rest of the system. also they may just end of swapping the hard disk to a other system while waiting for one to be fixed.

What business would put in Mac Minis or any other computer system for that matter without a server based/backup/standby strategy?

And if you are big enough to have an in-house IT department, for a few hundred dollars get somebody to become an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician. Heck, you don't have to take the AppleCare Technician Training course to replace a hard drive.

http://training.apple.com/

Just is case you weren't aware of it, Microsoft, Cisco, Dell, Adobe, Toshiba, Sony, etc., all offer certification courses.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What business would put in Mac Minis or any other computer system for that matter without a server based/backup/standby strategy?

And if you are big enough to have an in-house IT department, for a few hundred dollars get somebody to become an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician. Heck, you don't have to take the AppleCare Technician Training course to replace a hard drive.

http://training.apple.com/

Just is case you weren't aware of it, Microsoft, Cisco, Dell, Adobe, Toshiba, Sony, etc., all offer certification courses.

It isn't a matter of backup, it's a matter of possibly confidential information on the drive. Businesses can't let that leave their control, even if it's going to a service center.

The Mac mini is fine for businesses, it's just too bad you need a knife to get it open.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Even then you still have temp files, vm and other stuff that may hold data that you don't want to be out in the open.