ATI Mobility HD3800 for next iMacs/MacBook Pros?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39...9297243,00.htm

This card is vastly superior to all other candidates for the new Montevina MBPs and any iMac updates. The only other alternatives to the 8600M GT offer a mere 15 to 20% increase in performance, as opposed to this card which offers, according to ATI, %300.

It's 55nm, it's lowish wattage, it's in the price range of cards that could feasibly be fitted in the iMac and MBP. The only thing I am unsure of is heat, and ofc, is Apple is bothered justifying the "Pro" in MacBook Pro and providing us with a cutting edge rather than yesterdays tech GPU.

Anyone have any idea how likely it is we'll see this in our Macs come the Montevina updates? Or will we have to wait another year before we're using what PC owners will be able to buy in a week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39...9297243,00.htmAnyone have any idea how likely it is we'll see this in our Macs come the Montevina updates? Or will we have to wait another year before we're using what PC owners will be able to buy in a week.

Considering NVidia's recent troubles ( http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/n...-are-defectiv/ ), this GPU looks like a godsend. Consequently, maybe Steve and his engineers will be a little more likely to show ATI some love.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    machead99machead99 Posts: 63member
    It's also the only 256bit memory GPU I can see that is a possibility.

But we all know the MBP skimps on GPU power for thinness and Apple skimps on GPU in general, so what are the chances?

I hope they're high because this is the best mobile card in the world for 15" laptops and it's price and size are perfect for a MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    M88 is still going to require significant cooling. It'll probably generate twice as much heat as a the 8600M GT.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    The M88 is the HD 3800?

Well, surely after all the time the 8600M GT has been in the MBPs Apple has been able to develop the tech and fans enough to allow for increased heat, no? What about a new case?

God damn it, the 3800 is a freaking SUPERNOVA in comparison to the 8600M GT, I wannnnttt

EDIT:

Toshiba announced this back in Nov 07. A 15" laptop, doesn't look hugely thicker than a MBP, and it has an HD 3800. This card is MXM-III so it's gonna be small have lowish power consumption.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/27/t...book-txw-69dw/

And this is 3.5cm compared to 2.59cm in the MBP, has a 4.5h battery and also has the 3800:

http://www.memory-express.co.uk/inde...FX+570M+512MB)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    it would be nice, but as apple seems to be fairly conservative on the GPU side (heat/space), i'm not holding my breath... well, actually i am, considering i'll 100% be getting the next iteration of the 17"...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Well.. I really have no idea what we'll see in the new MBPs then..

Does anybody think they know what's most likely?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Well.. I really have no idea what we'll see in the new MBPs then..

Does anybody think they know what's most likely?

If I had to guess... the 9600M GT (which is a die shrink of the 8700M GT and no relation to the desktop 9600 GT) is a very likely candidate. It would only be about 15-20% faster than the 8600M GT, though.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    A 9600M GT would be disappointing even by Apple's standards...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

A 9600M GT would be disappointing even by Apple's standards...

I think we'll find out just how much of a thermal limit that thin aluminum case is. I really don't think they can get a 3800-class GPU in there, but Apple is sometimes full of surprises. We'll see.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Would Apple ever put a different GPU in the 17" MBP to the 15"?

I could stretch to paying for a 17" if it contained a 3800 card, is that likely?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Would Apple ever put a different GPU in the 17" MBP to the 15"?

I could stretch to paying for a 17" if it contained a 3800 card, is that likely?

if you look at barefeats you'll see that the 17"-ers have less underclocking than the 15s, and hence get slightly improved performance.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    But would they use an entirely different card?

At least via BTO?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:

But would they use an entirely different card?

At least via BTO?

They do in the 24" iMac
  • Reply 14 of 14
    GOOD GOD I'd get a 17" alone for a mobility HD 3850 :O:O