.Mac anti spam

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a .Mac account but don't use the email address at all. I am a huge fan of Gmail (which I use for my primary email account) for their innovation. I'm especially fond of their antispam solution and I think it's the best of all the web based emails I've tried over the years.

However, now with MobileMe and push I may be persuaded to switch. My question, and this is for those of you who use your .Mac email account as your primary email address, is how good is the .Mac junk mail filter? Can you compare it to any web based email you've used like Live, Hotmail, Yahoo!, Gmail?

I currently receive 50-75 junk email a day in my Gmail account but less than 1 email a week actually makes it into my inbox in Gmail.

So, I'm looking for some insight if you would please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I get very little spam in my dot Mac account. Usually less that a dozen a day and nearly always filtered out. I have had the account for years, I think Apple does a very good job. That said, my gmail account gets nearly a hundred a day and it works pretty much perfectly. I never get false positives and only a couple of spam a week leak through.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I have something like two spam messages a month on my .Mac account.

Your milage may vary.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    digmodigmo Posts: 7member
    This is my concern too especially given than mail when now be pushed to the iPhone. I too favour Google Mail over .mac as the spam filter is brilliant.

That said .Mac is still good athough I find mail.app on the computer better at filtering out and mail that I get on the iPhone doesn't appear on the computer !

I have written a post on mail rules http://www.digmo.co.uk/general-news/...nd-mail-rules/ as I am really hoping we can set server level filtering on the mobileme system. Server level mail rules would give us total control.

eg if you are on a mailing list and don't want it on the iPhone set a rule to redirect to a seperate folder. Apple say Mobile Me is exchange for the rest of us, lets hope they have not left this aspect out.

Digmo
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rogerarogera Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I have a .Mac account but don't use the email address at all. I am a huge fan of Gmail (which I use for my primary email account) for their innovation. I'm especially fond of their antispam solution and I think it's the best of all the web based emails I've tried over the years.

However, now with MobileMe and push I may be persuaded to switch. My question, and this is for those of you who use your .Mac email account as your primary email address, is how good is the .Mac junk mail filter? Can you compare it to any web based email you've used like Live, Hotmail, Yahoo!, Gmail?

I currently receive 50-75 junk email a day in my Gmail account but less than 1 email a week actually makes it into my inbox in Gmail.

So, I'm looking for some insight if you would please.

Hi,

The Junk Mail filter in Mail is OK, however, for really good filtering, I would strongly recommend Michael Tsai's "Spamsieve". (http://c-command.com/spamsieve/). It is shareware and at $30 it is a bargain with free (so far) updates. I've used it for about six years now and it is really, really effective.

I am in no way associated with Michael Tsai or c-command software. Just an extremely satisfied customer.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Also with the .mac you can have 5 different aliases as well setup with your account. All of the emails go to your main account, but you can setup one for bills only, another one registering for junk websites like myspace, facebook, etc and then you can always delete that alias later on. When in doubt if you are registering with sites you can use mailinator.com as well to for just registering with random sites for whatever reason. Just food for thought.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'm particularly interested in the quality of the .Mac filter not Mail. If .Mac can grab it before it pushes to my iPhone that will save me 50-75 emails I'd have to delete on my phone.