Not Being Able To Connect Leopard To Windows Vista Computer For Peer-To-Peer Network!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why can't I see Windows machines on a wireless router with Leopard? I just want to know. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    This was posted by another person but I think it may help you....

guys... I've tried every solutions i've found in this and some other forums to let my leopard connected with windows PCs and i FOUND THE SOLUTION!

now i can:-

• browse for every computers (mac & pcs) on my network easily

• connect to every computer with clicking on the list on finder SHARED sidebar

what i did is:

• reinstall leopard update 10.5.1 ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...051update.html )

• reboot

• go to system preferences > network ...create a new location (automatic location will prevent you from changing the WINS details), then click APPLY

• now click advanced... on TCP/IP tab, turn off IPv6 configuration then APPLY

• now go to WINS tab, enter your workgroup name ( i've entered WORKGROUP on my mac ) and add a WINS server address ( i dont have a server so i enter my router ip address ) then click OK > APPLY

• reboot and my mac succesfully detects all macs and PCs on my network. They're also listed on my SHARED sidebar.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    whysperwhysper Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

This was posted by another person but I think it may help you....

guys... I've tried every solutions i've found in this and some other forums to let my leopard connected with windows PCs and i FOUND THE SOLUTION!

now i can:-

? browse for every computers (mac & pcs) on my network easily

? connect to every computer with clicking on the list on finder SHARED sidebar

what i did is:

? reinstall leopard update 10.5.1 ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...051update.html )

? reboot

? go to system preferences > network ...create a new location (automatic location will prevent you from changing the WINS details), then click APPLY

? now click advanced... on TCP/IP tab, turn off IPv6 configuration then APPLY

? now go to WINS tab, enter your workgroup name ( i've entered WORKGROUP on my mac ) and add a WINS server address ( i dont have a server so i enter my router ip address ) then click OK > APPLY

? reboot and my mac succesfully detects all macs and PCs on my network. They're also listed on my SHARED sidebar.

Ive tried that.. Ive tried just about everything under the sun that i know of.. I cannot get my Mac running Leopard to see my Vista Ultimate machine. My Vista Machine can see my mac not not log in... which doesnt make sense to me. I am new at this so maybe i am missing something.

Can someone help me please?\
  • Reply 3 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    My OS X and Vista get along very well. Much better than trying to get XP Home and Vista to see other other even with NNTP.

Make sure firewall settings and sharing options are enabled on both and make sure they are both on the same workgroup. You might have to create a new network location on the Mac. After doing this, it just works. Shows up nicely on finder.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Can you connect to a shred folder though SMB, either via the local IP address or the name of the PC? Sometimes my PC won't show up under the Shared items in Finder, but if I connect to one of my hidden shares, then it will show up, even though I also have unhidden shares as well.

I've had zero issues with connecting to my Vista machine from my Mac or Linux, using SMB, and my Vista machine also sees the Mac fine on my workgroup.

I've added my workgroup under the WINS tab in the advanced networking property, and have also given my Mac a NetBios name that then shows up under the network on the Vista side.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whysper View Post

Ive tried that.. Ive tried just about everything under the sun that i know of.. I cannot get my Mac running Leopard to see my Vista Ultimate machine. My Vista Machine can see my mac not not log in... which doesnt make sense to me. I am new at this so maybe i am missing something.

Can someone help me please?\

Does Vista have IPV6 service running? If so, turn it off.