Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 121 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well, in less than two weeks, Montevina should become official. With that said, a question: Seeing that the specification was complete but simply held up because of a clerical error, is the production of Montevina in full swing awaiting approval? I ask this with the thought that if it were being produced behind the scenes awaiting approval, that sufficient quantities might be available for Apple to use...as everyone knows there's this lag time between when Intel announces and Apple uses...
  • Reply 122 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alxths View Post

This is true, but if you look at the macrumors buyer's guide, you'll see the only time when they seem to break the regular cycle of updates is when they introduce a redesign. In these cases, updates seem to come earlier than expected.

Nevertheless you do bring up a good reason not to be surprised at an october update :s

That's what many of us are hoping for, a fresh redesign. A bit off topic, seeing other Montevina laptop competitions are in full swing, can't help to imagine what Apple has to offer:

Montevina Sony FW (16.4") Leaked Pictures, More

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Well, in less than two weeks, Montevina should become official. With that said, a question: Seeing that the specification was complete but simply held up because of a clerical error, is the production of Montevina in full swing awaiting approval? I ask this with the thought that if it were being produced behind the scenes awaiting approval, that sufficient quantities might be available for Apple to use...as everyone knows there's this lag time between when Intel announces and Apple uses...

Besides the clerical error, there was a hold on the integrated video card version due to technical issue, but that should not have affected vendors who plan to offer discrete video card solutions. As you see in the links above from new Sony Montevina releases which are caught in Circuit City page, one would wonder if Montevina laptop shipment are already trickling in as we speak and ready to unleash on July 14th upon Intel make the announcement.
  • Reply 123 of 189
    alxthsalxths Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

That's a good point... I'm sure a major factor in the lag times between intel's and apple's launches is supply. I also don't see any reason why intel could not have been manufacturing the new processors and chipsets for the past little while.

Maybe someone who knows more about intel's manufacturing processes could enlighten us a bit...
  • Reply 124 of 189
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Besides the clerical error, there was a hold on the integrated video card version due to technical issue, but that should not have affected vendors who plan to offer discrete video card solutions. As you see in the links above from new Sony Montevina releases which are caught in Circuit City page, one would wonder if Montevina laptop shipment are already trickling in as we speak and ready to unleash on July 14th upon Intel make the announcement.

If the only issues were the clerical error relating to FCC approval and the integrated graphics problem, then the version without integrated graphics has probably been in production for some weeks already and there could be stocks of new MacBooks Pro ready to ship on 14 July. New MacBooks would have to wait on the version with integrated graphics and the MacBook Air would wait for new processors to be released in September.

If there is a 1920x1200 BTO option for the 15" MacBook Pro, then I will buy one.
  • Reply 125 of 189
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Apple won't release the MBP until the very end of July, otherwise latest mid-August. iPhone 3G stuff in just 1 week, it's frickin crazy. IMO.
  • Reply 126 of 189
    Quote:

That's what many of us are hoping for, a fresh redesign. A bit off topic, seeing other Montevina laptop competitions are in full swing, can't help to imagine what Apple has to offer:

Somehow those pictures don't do it for me. For me, this is still the best pro/prosumer laptop ever made.

I know in my heard Jon Ives is going to create a masterpiece of pro mobile performance and release it by the end of August.
  • Reply 127 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Somehow those pictures don't do it for me. For me, this is still the best pro/prosumer laptop ever made.

Until it's three years old and a screen hinge snaps.
  • Reply 128 of 189
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't care about an optical drive. That can remain external as with my current MacBook Air. I've used the optical drive only once. My ideal would be a MacBook Air Pro with 13" 2560x1600 resolution, low-power GPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Montevina, and a slightly faster CPU.

Resolution Independence!

I just read up on Resolution Independence, and now I do want the higher resolution. I've always wondered when they were going to get that problem solved! When that happens there will be only benefits to having a higher resolution.
  • Reply 129 of 189
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about all of this. Intel says certain processors will be "available on July 14th" which could mean suppliers are getting them before that day and by available they mean to the public. I'm assuming that's the case, well...hoping that is haha. I'm really excited for this Montevina MBP to come out. I would be happy with whatever video card they put in there, as long as it's at least slightly faster than the current card.

If anyone wants to see videos on what the current Macbook Pro's video card can handle, go to youtube and search for the user "Soldierknowsbest". He has videos on about everything on the MBP and they're very helpful/useful.
  • Reply 130 of 189
    crocodilecrocodile Posts: 48member
    I couldn't wait any longer so just bought a 20" iMac and am delighted with it. That said, if a new MacBook Pro does put in an appearance, my kids are going to get an unexpected present and I shall get me one.

Apple's design seems to be getting better and better with each new product. The sheer minimalist excellence of it never fails to amaze me. I am confident that any brand new MacBook Pro is going to be superlative. It will be the hottest item this Xmas, assuming it arrives. I slobber like a coonhound in a dog house filled with several bitches on heat just thinking about it.

I just want it to weigh as little as possible, have an inbuilt DVD drive, and a 15" LED screen at the highest possible resolution and 5 hours+ battery life would be great.

Surely, it can't be more than a month away?
  • Reply 131 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about all of this. Intel says certain processors will be "available on July 14th" which could mean suppliers are getting them before that day and by available they mean to the public. I'm assuming that's the case, well...hoping that is haha. I'm really excited for this Montevina MBP to come out. I would be happy with whatever video card they put in there, as long as it's at least slightly faster than the current card.

If anyone wants to see videos on what the current Macbook Pro's video card can handle, go to youtube and search for the user "Soldierknowsbest". He has videos on about everything on the MBP and they're very helpful/useful.

Great link I can't wait for my MBP MONTEVINA redesigned come onnnnnnnnn in a few weeks time please Apple.
  • Reply 132 of 189
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

I just read up on Resolution Independence, and now I do want the higher resolution. I've always wondered when they were going to get that problem solved! When that happens there will be only benefits to having a higher resolution.

The only things I want from Snow Leopard are speed, stability, and Resolution Independence.
  • Reply 133 of 189
    obscurionobscurion Posts: 16member
    Until graphics chips start supporting more than 1600x2560 it won't be possible to increase the res on the 30" screen. It's a problem that may hold up RI for a while. Sure wish ATI and nVidia would get on that...\
  • Reply 134 of 189
    fpnunesfpnunes Posts: 3member
    I don't remember what happened last go round. What happened to existing stockpiles of the current model? Were they sold at discount to flush out the surplus?

I had planned on ordering a 2.4 MBP today but have been on the fence for a week wondering if the next rev base level might not be parallel to the existing 2.6. I really like the current design and have almost pulled the trigger a couple of times...
  • Reply 135 of 189
    So the question is, how much longer do you speculate the MB release after the MBP release?

I am a student going off to college and I would like to have my MB before I leave (the 23rd of August), do you think they will be ready by then?
  • Reply 136 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obscurion View Post

Until graphics chips start supporting more than 1600x2560 it won't be possible to increase the res on the 30" screen. It's a problem that may hold up RI for a while. Sure wish ATI and nVidia would get on that...\

The resolution limit is a function of the maximum bandwidth of dual-link DVI. Dual-link DisplayPort will increase that.
  • Reply 137 of 189
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by volcom1206 View Post

I would like to have my MB before I leave (the 23rd of August), do you think they will be ready by then?

No. Not very likely.

It's safe to assume that no new 'books will be introduced in July - simply because July is iPhone 3G month and Apple doesn't want to steal its thunder.

Also we know that Intel is a bit late with the new chips so chances are a July date would mean very contraint supply.

I'd say mid-end August is a chance to see a new MacBook Pro.

While it happened in the past that MacBook Pros and MacBooks have been introduced at the same time, it much more often happened that new MacBooks are introduced a month later. So chances are that you will see new MacBooks in mid-end September at the earliest.

In fact it is more likely that MacBook Pros are introduced in October and MacBooks follow in November than both MacBook Pros and MacBooks being introduced in August together. Apple has a rather long history of introducing new laptops in October (MacBook Pros)/November (MacBooks) with a lesser history of September/October time frames. There is no history yet of an August/September introduction.

Recent 'book introduction times as usual here:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Portable_Macs
  • Reply 138 of 189
    dfndfn Posts: 6member
    No idea if there is gonna be a update, but the shear amount of refurbished MBs and MBPs over the past few weeks in the UK Refurb store is a little weird if they aren't just clearing stock. Though could be any numbers of reasons for this.
  • Reply 139 of 189
    crocodilecrocodile Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

No. Not very likely.

It's safe to assume that no new 'books will be introduced in July - simply because July is iPhone 3G month and Apple doesn't want to steal its thunder.

Also we know that Intel is a bit late with the new chips so chances are a July date would mean very contraint supply.

I'd say mid-end August is a chance to see a new MacBook Pro.

While it happened in the past that MacBook Pros and MacBooks have been introduced at the same time, it much more often happened that new MacBooks are introduced a month later. So chances are that you will see new MacBooks in mid-end September at the earliest.

In fact it is more likely that MacBook Pros are introduced in October and MacBooks follow in November than both MacBook Pros and MacBooks being introduced in August together. Apple has a rather long history of introducing new laptops in October (MacBook Pros)/November (MacBooks) with a lesser history of September/October time frames. There is no history yet of an August/September introduction.

Recent 'book introduction times as usual here:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Portable_Macs

I'm not sure I agree with your analysis. Apple is trying to shift stocks of MacBooks and MacBook Pros at the moment. We've got college promotional deals and refurb deals. It's subtle but clear. i expect inventory levels to start declining noticeably by late July. We've also got other PC manufacturers announcing new Centrino 2 notebooks and an Intel marketing blitz is coming that will trumpet the virtues of Centrino 2. Further, Microsoft is about to launch a $300 million campaign to lift Vista.

I have no idea when Apple will drop something new in our laps, but I'd be amazed if it was as late as November. I think they'll feel obliged to provide something by the end of August simply to maintain sales momentum. Of course, it may not be a brand new design but simply a speed bump. The end of the college promotional run may be the most obvious indication of when to expect Montevina MacBooks.
  • Reply 140 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Apple would not want to miss the golden opportunity to launch Montevina MB, MBP, MBA when other manufactures are readying on the first day July 14th upon Intel announces the official launch. Apple needed most of its human resource for iPhone 3G for at least the month of July (if you have been following the iPhone related news, people are queuing up several days ahead of launch worldwide!) There are going to be a massive number of sales and transactions for iPhone 3G.

If Apple waited until November, it would be a bit late for Montevina update, since people would be talking about Montevina refresh for Q1 2009. Apple would be best to take advantage of TV ads and marketing opportunity in the month of August (some with Olympic related) to stay focus on mobile computing when Microsoft planned for counter attack on Apple's "Get a Mac" ads, and guess what would be running on the new Centrino 2 Montevina PCs? It's Vista preinstalled!