Report: half of prospective smartphone buyers eying iPhone 3G

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Any guesses on the year RIM will fold?

i think RIM and iPhone will carve out the market, and the nokia, sony, MS (yea baby) and the also ran "smartphones" will fight for the bottom 10% nokia knows this as does MS, it's now the battle of the "os" , interface, seemless integration with other services (moble me), how apple does to displace RIM in the enterprise, requires apple to do what is hasn't done, go after enterprise full bore, knock them dead, we will win attitude--and address their needs as they have done with consumers.

my beef is i pay for a servie (3g) that's not here and won't be for years, i live in an underserved region.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Maybe never? They'll fold when large businesses and governments don't need their services, and those are the kind of customers that are slowest to abandon something they've adopted. Also keep in mind that RIM doubled in revenue, profits and stock price over the time iPhone was available for sale. No doubt that iPhone will make a big dent in that with the 2.0 software, but I doubt it's a killer blow. The market isn't as if there should only be one major player. I think multiple major players would be good for us.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not gonna' happen anytime soon. They use two entirely different network technologies. Verizon pushes to lock customers into its VCast media network. That business model is the antithesis of the iPhone business model.

I just read somewhere that the HTC is coming out with a version that will work on the Verizon network, so maybe there is some hope.

If I can still hook it up to iTunes, I can load my own songs and movies. That's all I care about.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

What defection? Verizon Wireless is beating AT&T Wireless in net adds --- even after the iphone was launched.

I'm obviously not talking about total numbers, fanboy. I'm referring to Verizon customers who switch over to AT&T to get an iPhone. The poster was saying that Verizon wouldn't seel the iPhone because they would want total control of the device, and I said that they would love to sell the iPhone, unmodified, as they do all their other smartphones in order to keep iPhone seekers from leaving their network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I just read somewhere that the HTC is coming out with a version that will work on the Verizon network, so maybe there is some hope.

If I can still hook it up to iTunes, I can load my own songs and movies. That's all I care about.

?? We are talking solely about a CDMA version of the iPhone. HTC has had many smartphone models available from Verizon already, although they are always re-branded with a Verizon model number.

Quote:

RIM's not going to fold ANYTIME soon. "JeffDM" and others are right in that RIM has an enormous share of the corporate and government sector, and these entities on average are very conservative and slow to adopt new technology. Also, because of the way the Blackberry system works, these companies have made a *significant* investment in equipment and licensing, and they will want to see their money's worth. To overcome these factors, Apple will have to convince them that the iPhone technology and eco-system will provide them with a substantial advantage in communications, intranet connectivity, custom mobile software use, etc. I have no doubt that Apple can make a convincing argument, but they are really going to have to work hard to get these types of client. They will need a lot of hand-holding and support to get large deployments off the ground.

I also think Apple will have to create a line of iPhones, and include a model with a physical keyboard. Although I was happily surprised at how practical and functional the iPhone screen keyboard is, I guarantee many people will still insist on a traditional keyboard, especially old, stubborn executive types who have used Blackberry and Treo models for years.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I'm obviously not talking about total numbers, fanboy. I'm referring to Verizon customers who switch over to AT&T to get an iPhone. The poster was saying that Verizon wouldn't seel the iPhone because they would want total control of the device, and I said that they would love to sell the iPhone, unmodified, as they do all their other smartphones in order to keep iPhone seekers from leaving their network.

?? We are talking solely about a CDMA version of the iPhone. HTC has had many smartphone models available from Verizon already, although they are always re-branded with a Verizon model number.

RIM's not going to fold ANYTIME soon. "JeffDM" and others are right in that RIM has an enormous share of the corporate and government sector, and these entities on average are very conservative and slow to adopt new technology. Also, because of the way the Blackberry system works, these companies have made a *significant* investment in equipment and licensing, and they will want to see their money's worth. To overcome these factors, Apple will have to convince them that the iPhone technology and eco-system will provide them with a substantial advantage in communications, intranet connectivity, custom mobile software use, etc. I have no doubt that Apple can make a convincing argument, but they are really going to have to work hard to get these types of client. They will need a lot of hand-holding and support to get large deployments off the ground.

I also think Apple will have to create a line of iPhones, and include a model with a physical keyboard. Although I was happily surprised at how practical and functional the iPhone screen keyboard is, I guarantee many people will still insist on a traditional keyboard, especially old, stubborn executive types who have used Blackberry and Treo models for years.

rim is moving to the touch screen, because it's the future and apple is the target making a defensive line, the end run will be people getting the iphone anyway and IT as usual being dragged into the 20th century. they will only go when pushed.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

rim is moving to the touch screen, because it's the future and apple is the target making a defensive line, the end run will be people getting the iphone anyway and IT as usual being dragged into the 20th century. they will only go when pushed.

I believe the capacitive touchscreen coupled with an intuitive finger friendly interface is the future for cellphones, yes, but I'm not sure the "virtual keyboard" will come to dominate until they create an acceptable mechanism for tactile feedback. As i said, I was surprised at just how functional the iPhone keyboard is, but I'm sure there will still be many who will just hate it and will demand a hardware QWERTY keyset. I'm sure RIM is taking the Blackberry into the touchscreen world, but I doubt they will completely abandon hardware keyboards anytime soon..