Apple stores to open at 8:00 a.m. Friday for iPhone 3G launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
US-based Apple retail stores will join those of AT&T by opening at 8:00 a.m. local time on Friday, July 11th, to usher in the new iPhone 3G, the company said Monday.

Although a formal press release has not yet been issued, a statement on the official Apple Retail website now says: "iPhone 3G. Coming July 11 at 8:00 a.m."

Apple's exclusive US wireless partner for iPhone, AT&T, had previously announced that its own stores would begin selling the new touch-screen handset beginning at 8:00 a.m.

The early launch is aimed at assuring ample time for in-store activations, credit checks (when applicable), and other one-time procedures that must now take place during the point of sale, as there will be no home activation of iPhone 3G like there was with the original iPhone last year.

AppleInsider has recently compiled "unofficial" notes of interest from recent memos and internal meetings between Apple and its retail staff, as well as memos sent from AT&T to its retail staff.

We've also assessed the cost increases associated with AT&T's new iPhone 3G plans, covered the carrier's guide on moving to iPhone 3G, and detailed how to hand down your old iPhone or keep it as a WiFi-enabled iPod.

In addition, we've been providing coverage (and converting to US dollars) the cost iPhone 3G and its associated service plans as they are announced by carriers around the world.

Readers can surf all recent iPhone 3G-related news on our iPhone 3G topics page. A separate topics page focuses on moving to iPhone 3G on AT&T. RSS feed links for all AppleInsider topics pages are available via a text links placed ahead of the most recent headline on each topics page. RSS feeds for our new Backpage Blogs are coming soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    in other news, Rogers stores stay closed...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    nortonnorton Posts: 9member
    The previous AppleInsider post stated that there will be a need to buy at least 2 iPhones in order to activate it on a Family Plan. AT&T stores are claiming that there is a one per customer limit. Neither one of these two things make any sense.

I think that if I want to buy 2 for a family plan I do not need to have another person there with me to do it as it gets activated under one name on a family plan.

Also if I want to add one iPhone to an existing family plan, why should I have to have at least 2 iPhones.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norton View Post

The previous AppleInsider post stated that there will be a need to buy at least 2 iPhones in order to activate it on a Family Plan. AT&T stores are claiming that there is a one per customer limit. Neither one of these two things make any sense.

I think that if I want to buy 2 for a family plan I do not need to have another person there with me to do it as it gets activated under one name on a family plan.

Also if I want to add one iPhone to an existing family plan, why should I have to have at least 2 iPhones.

I would like to add a Iphone to a family plan too.. do we have to have a credit check. already an att customer ... Do I have to activate at ATT store or can I go to an Apple store... We all ready have 2 iphones on our family plan.. does any one have any sugestions..

I live in South Florida and have a chicago number is there going to be any issues with this ....

the other numbers on the family plan are 305...
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norton View Post

Actually, either one makes sense, by itself.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nortonnorton Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

How does it make sense? If I want a family plan why should i have at least two iPhones, what if I want an iPhone and a regular phone...why is it the iPhone family plan any different from all the rest of the family plans.

Also if I do in fact want two iPhones on a family plan why is there a one per customer limit at AT&T store.

All this sounds like one hand does not know what the other is doing.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The point being, neither restriction appears to exist without the other, I don't get why you even wrote that.

It sounds like there's little point in the family plan given the apparent contradictory restrictions. At least one restriction needs to be raised, or a clarification is necessary, such as whether bringing all the relevant family members along allow you to still call it one per customer and if activating them together qualifies.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    neonmargneonmarg Posts: 2member
    Articles keep talking about in store activation but then this knowledgebase article talks about upgrading from your computer... can someone explain? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109
  • Reply 8 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neonmarg View Post

Articles keep talking about in store activation but then this knowledgebase article talks about upgrading from your computer... can someone explain? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

Yeah, and a related question: How is activation going to work with iPhones purchased from the Apple Store?

PS: Welcome to AI!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neonmarg View Post

As I read it, that article is only telling you how to transfer information from your old iPhone to the new 3G one. I assume that you would have had to activate it in the store to be able to properly follow the advice in that article.

I hope I am right! You have waited 5 years after reging to ask this one question--I would hate to muck it up with a wrong answer...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I know nobody really cares but I think Apple lost a lot of business in making AT&T their only carrier here in the US of A. Competition would have sold a lot more phones had they gone to more than one carrier. As a result, AT&T is sticking it to anyone who wants an iPhone. It is almost as bad as Rogers in Canada but not quite. However, I am not buying an iPhone because I believe AT&T is price gouging all those who really want one. I did want one but they have priced me out along with many others that I know of. The pricing should have stayed at 59.95 per month. now it is 69.95 and 20.00 dollars more for texting. That is 89.95 plus taxes and surcharges that will amount to over 100.00 per month. I am currently paying 59.95 thru Verizon for the same coverage using the new LG Dare.

Sorry Apple, I still love your computers and I own a iPod Touch which I will upgrade but I think you blew it by staying with only one US carrier.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    xoraxaxxoraxax Posts: 9member
    I spoke with an AT&T employee several days ago about my existing family plan. He said there would be no problem adding a new line with an iPhone on it. That's exactly what I wanted to do.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    The whole 8am thing doesn't have me convinced. Where is that graphic from? Surely not the iPhone page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/
  • Reply 13 of 18
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The point being, neither restriction appears to exist without the other, I don't get why you even wrote that.

It sounds like there's little point in the family plan given the apparent contradictory restrictions. At least one restriction needs to be raised, or a clarification is necessary, such as whether bringing all the relevant family members along allow you to still call it one per customer and if activating them together qualifies.

I don't understand why everyone is having a hard time understanding this, there isn't a contradiction at all. If you are planning on upgrading 2 or more phones on a family plan then you need the people there, stupid yes, contradiction no. A contradiction would have existed if they said that you may only upgrade one phone per plan.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

The whole 8am thing doesn't have me convinced. Where is that graphic from? Surely not the iPhone page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

http://www.apple.com/retail/
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePreacher View Post

I know nobody really cares but I think Apple lost a lot of business in making AT&T their only carrier here in the US of A. Competition would have sold a lot more phones had they gone to more than one carrier. As a result, AT&T is sticking it to anyone who wants an iPhone. It is almost as bad as Rogers in Canada but not quite. However, I am not buying an iPhone because I believe AT&T is price gouging all those who really want one. I did want one but they have priced me out along with many others that I know of. The pricing should have stayed at 59.95 per month. now it is 69.95 and 20.00 dollars more for texting. That is 89.95 plus taxes and surcharges that will amount to over 100.00 per month. I am currently paying 59.95 thru Verizon for the same coverage using the new LG Dare.

Sorry Apple, I still love your computers and I own a iPod Touch which I will upgrade but I think you blew it by staying with only one US carrier.

Not sure, but I thought I saw on these boards somewhere, sometime, it had to do with the infrastructure in place for 3G? Which Apple knew was going to be an issue when they first came out with the iPhone.

Skip
  • Reply 16 of 18
    neonmargneonmarg Posts: 2member
    More details - sounds like something does get done to the new phone at the store:

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Not sure, but I thought I saw on these boards somewhere, sometime, it had to do with the infrastructure in place for 3G? Which Apple knew was going to be an issue when they first came out with the iPhone.

Skip

The cost for the infrastructure in place for 3G is compensated with the 10.00 increase but an extra 20.00 for text messaging is highway robbery! I hope AT&T suffers for their exploitation of the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I hope someone else finds this information useful...

I just got off the phone w/ my local Apple Store (Tice's Corner in NJ) and told them that I am currently the account owner on a Verizon Family Plan and wanted to purchase 2 iPhones (one for me, and one for my wife). They told me that since I am the account owner, i do *NOT* have to bring my wife along to the store to be allowed to purchase 2 iPhones and switch over to an AT&T Family Plan. This is a huge relief.

The only thing they did suggest was contacting AT&T ahead of time to get pre-approved (credit check). However, even if I don't do this, they said that they would simply put the call into AT&T to do the credit check while I was at the store.