No Pay as you go until Xmas (UK)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Well this just sux...

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/07/07/pay...d_untilch.html

Had enough of this. You wont be seeing any money from me Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It makes sense for O2 to do this. They are far from the most popular network and I'm sure the unlockages would be high if the 3G iphone was sold without a contract.

Typical business attitude though, rather than improve services and customer relations, they just lock down their options.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    "It makes sense for O2 to do this. They are far from the most popular network and I'm sure the unlockages would be high if the 3G iphone was sold without a contract."

I'm sure they would be making money on the PAYG phone though, even if it's less than a contact long term.

All they have done is pissed me, and I'm sure others, off to the point where the iphone can take a running jump.

It should be against the law for them NOT to offer a non discounted unlocked phone.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonPickard View Post

I'm sure they would be making money on the PAYG phone though, even if it's less than a contact long term.

A lot less though. It would be 18 months * £35 + £100 = £730 vs just £100. I don't think they'd make that much on just the phone sale given that £100 is not profit.

Quote:

All they have done is pissed me, and I'm sure others, off to the point where the iphone can take a running jump.

It should be against the law for them NOT to offer a non discounted unlocked phone.

Yeah it should be sold unlocked but it would be harder for Apple to negotiate how much kickback they get from the phone companies. One carrier probably reduces support headaches too with different network coverage and options.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Damn. And it's not just £100 though. I thought I was going to get a PAYG for £300, spend about a tenner a month on calls & texts, plus a tenner after 6 months for the data service = a total of £600. Oh and I was gonna learn objective c too - maybe I'll stick with my N95 8GB now. Don't want no tie-in contract - especially with a recession coming.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Was thinking about this...

O2 say they wont have any PAYG but what about Apple?? What is stopping Apple from selling PAYG directly from the Apple Store?

Si
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    What are talking about? Even if they did that it would be on O2 who have said themselves its not coming till xmas.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What am I talking about?

I'm talking about the fact that O2 and Apple are two different companies.

I was just thinking that Apple could sell PAYG on O2 even if O2 hold them back themselves.

I haven't heard Apple say they aren't selling PAYG until Xmas.. have you?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

What am I talking about?

I'm talking about the fact that O2 and Apple are two different companies.

I was just thinking that Apple could sell PAYG on O2 even if O2 hold them back themselves.

I haven't heard Apple say they aren't selling PAYG until Xmas.. have you?

They have a mutual interest though - profits. Like I say, Apple gets kickbacks from the phone companies. I reckon late PayG is to put off unlockers. If Apple then try and sell PayG phones and the unlocking comes about then O2 lose money. If O2 lose money, Apple lose kickbacks.

They are separate companies but they work together. It seems that given the amount of unlockers on the first model, they are trying to crack down hard on it this time round. You used to be able to buy an iphone as a gift. Now you have to buy the contract before you get the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hey I guess what you're all saying makes sense..

It's shame though. There are a lot of people who don't want 18 month contracts.

For me personally it was either PAYG or nothing.

Regards,

Simon