Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Got mine. Ha!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ?MiMiC View Post

Sure. eBay has them going for $350-500. Those that can't get them due to carrier, will pay the money to get an unlocked one. New ones are selling for $500 while used ones $350-400.

Excuse me chaps, this is the British thread, not the USAian thread. Bugger off.

Incidently, the old iPhone seems to be going for £250-ish on ebay.CO.UK at the moment.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    gwilligwilli Posts: 24member
    MWAHAHAHA! My iPhone's being delivered on Friday! NO QUEUES FOR ME! It pays to have to get up at 7 in the morning.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Anyone still think the first gen iPhones will be worth more over time? I've got one, a 4 GB.

I think they have plenty of value left. I just bought two used 8 gig iPhones off of ebay. Reason 1 is because I do not have 3g coverage where I live in Georgia and do not expect it for some time. Reason two is that unless someone gets a supply of 3g iPhones that do not require you to sign away your first born (in the us) I want the freedom of a unlocked phone. Prices may dip for a while after the 3g launch but I do not expect it to last long.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Yes, they should have been able to keep current with orders.

Shockingly good pun .
  • Reply 46 of 58
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Excuse me chaps, this is the British thread, not the USAian thread. Bugger off.

Incidently, the old iPhone seems to be going for £250-ish on ebay.CO.UK at the moment.

Blimey! I thought I smelled a bunch of nutters sipping tea in here..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

I take it you mean amazingly expensive? I'm on O2 just now with a 12 month contract which only costs £20 month and includes 400 any time any network minutes, 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS or a combination thereof) and a handset. What's the incentive for me to pay for the phone as well as an extra 15 quid per month and end up with fewer minutes and SMS and lose the ability to MMS altogether? I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.

Bullocks! 02 is the bees knees, you wanker! They have the best bloody iPhone tariffs of ANY carrier! (Your current plan offers no mobile data usage (or WiFi hotspots) which is the primary use of the iPhone.)

Could I pass as British? no you say? lol
  • Reply 47 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Could I pass as British? no you say? lol

There are some requisite terms you missed to sound British-ish: sod off, ha'llo govn'r, apples-and-pears, and of course you have to refer to almost everything as clever or brilliant.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are some requisite terms you missed to sound British-ish: sod off, ha'llo govn'r, apples-and-pears, and of course you have to refer to almost everything as clever or brilliant.

Bollocks - not bullocks. Bullocks are bulls, bollocks are balls. Ha'llo govn'r? Only if you'd like to pretend you're in a bad (old) English movie.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    O2 have 'got it'. These price plans are great. And the result? They are already swamped with demand. Meaning they will no doubt sign up a whole ton of new customers. Rogers of Canada and the rest of the greedy providers out there need to learn this lesson - volume means profit! When it comes to mobile telephony, price is everything. Rogers is trying to screw its customer base and guess what? they are not buying it, nor I pray, the iPhone. It just seems so damned obvious and yet so many carriers are missing the point. They seem to have the perception that iPhone owners are Apple customers and Apple customers will pay anything (we all know that Apple products are expensive, right?) I mean they just seem so off base it would have been funny hadn't it been depressing, sad and very frustrating for someone like me who would have moved to any carrier had they provided a half decent plan.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

O2 have 'got it'. These price plans are great. And the result? They are already swamped with demand. Meaning they will no doubt sign up a whole ton of new customers. Rogers of Canada and the rest of the greedy providers out there need to learn this lesson - volume means profit! When it comes to mobile telephony, price is everything. Rogers is trying to screw its customer base and guess what? they are not buying it, nor I pray, the iPhone. It just seems so damned obvious and yet so many carriers are missing the point. They seem to have the perception that iPhone owners are Apple customers and Apple customers will pay anything (we all know that Apple products are expensive, right?) I mean they just seem so off base it would have been funny hadn't it been depressing, sad and very frustrating for someone like me who would have moved to any carrier had they provided a half decent plan.

Yep, you are right on target. It blows me away that Rogers in Canada among other carriers/countries are offering such crap iPhone deals. All of these carriers have spent billions of dollars building out their 3G networks, and besides laptop broadband cards, they are hardly seeing much data use at all from cell phones, other than MMS and enterprise email. You would think they would be desperately promoting mobile phone data usage as much as they can! And then when the opportunity finally arises to make mobile data use widely popular and accessible ---- With the quantum leap in the mobile web browsing experience the iPhone provides --- they totally blow it with expensive fees and pathetic data allowances! For god sakes, an average moderate user can easily use over 1GB a month, and it sure as hell doesn't cost the hundreds of dollars they'll be charged in overage fees.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    acteonacteon Posts: 2member
    From what O2 stores have told everyone who has asked you will NOT be able to upgrade your iPhone in-store on Friday. Those phones are for new customers only and you'll be turned away on Friday if you attempt it. Upgrades are online only according to all the official sources, so don't waste your time camping out.

Unless, of course, O2 say differently on Thursday.

And it is a total bloody shambles, they should hang their heads in shame - for a communications company, they really have no idea.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I spent hours this morning trying to upgrade. I must have had well over 20 attempts with new upgrade codes. I even tried the failover page with no success. There was no system to enter an upgrade code of you had already been sent one. You had to request a new one each time. Total shambles and a useless system. The developers should have a lot to answer for.

The fact that existing customers were 'promised' to be alerted as soon as the system was active, but they pulled the upgrade system down, allowing only new customers to order their iPhones is shocking. O2 should be ashamed of how poorly they treated us.

What a bunch of ammeters. Come one Apple, is this really the type of network you want to be dealing with?

O2 and Carphone Warehouse are clearly not the appropriate business partners for Apple UK.

O2

Issue: O2/Telefonica's back-end system is very bad. Their job application system is poor. Many bugs, errors out a lot, and a lot of Oracle-based errors seem to happen.

Carphone Warehouse

I was working in Carphone Warehouse on Monday. It was horrible.

I was next to my colleague and two guys wanted to get an iPhone 3G, so he was putting them on a contact/ waiting list.

The customers then asked, so does it have GPRS? And my colleague replied "yes it has GPS".

I had to explain that the customer may have been asking about a fallback to 2G from 3G if 3G coverage is poor. This was mentioned in the iPhone 3G guided tour. I then had to explain assisted GPS in the new iPhone 3G. As in the guided tour.

He later then mentioned to me that "we have hardly any information on this..."

He then discussed with another colleague that he heard of something like a push system. The other colleague says, no, it's not like a BlackBerry push system.

I then had to try and explain MobileMe and .Mac to them, and look up the MobileMe UK page because I myself was expecting a briefing from Apple UK/ O2/ Carphone Warehouse.

Be informed that as of yesterday, that is Monday, Carphone Warehouse employees have not received any information whatsoever, nor it appears, training on the iPhone 3G. At least those in the Oxford Street, London area. They have suggested that all training, POS, and marketing materials will be done on Thursday 10th July night. You have been warned.

If you'd like to know more, you can have a read at http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=88619.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    None of at least 5 of Carphone Warehouse employees in one particular Oxford Street store was aware that pre-orders on O2 and Carphone Warehouse website were ready to be taken on Monday itself. It did not appear as though anyone knew that pre-orders were pulled off the system, etc.

They were all busy selling phones (£10 commission each), sim packs (£1 or so commission), and various other services like broadband and insurance and laptops (Acer, Toshiba).

Yes, I could be very biased because of my experience.

However, at this stage I would suggest that any of you that own a Mac that is interested in the iPhone 3G in the UK and the US to deal *directly with Apple* as far as possible. That is, official Apple retail as far as possible.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    victor3victor3 Posts: 4member
    Wow people over seas are going to go to some extremes to get this phone like some Americans did for the first I Phone.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    chocho Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Acteon View Post

From what O2 stores have told everyone who has asked you will NOT be able to upgrade your iPhone in-store on Friday. Those phones are for new customers only and you'll be turned away on Friday if you attempt it. Upgrades are online only according to all the official sources, so don't waste your time camping out.

Unless, of course, O2 say differently on Thursday.

And it is a total bloody shambles, they should hang their heads in shame - for a communications company, they really have no idea.

My local store WILL be allowing upgrades, but the new contracts will take precedence. So, yes it's still a lottery as to whether I'll have one come Friday. May not bother, and just play with v2.0. My phones only 6 months old anyway!
  • Reply 56 of 58
    graydaygrayday Posts: 2member
    :

I completed the upgrade process on Monday before the website crashed and I received a an order number (on-001326***) and a message saying an email would be sent confirming the process..................:...the email didn't arrive so after emailing them via their "24-hour-granted-reply-service-" (which is joke as they didn't reply at all, let alone in 24 hours) i finally got hold of someone on the phone to be told that my order is not on the system as I " probably was completing the process as they were selling out "

.......what is going on with O2? Poor planning doesn't quite cover it. The only saving grace is that I live in an area that has quite a few O2/Carphone warehouse stores.....but if I have to enduring queues, till payments crashing (remember that last time?) and their speeches about insurance I think I'll lose the plot.......

• Reply 57 of 58
    gwilligwilli Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayday View Post

I completed the upgrade process on Monday before the website crashed and I received a an order number (on-001326***) and a message saying an email would be sent confirming the process..................:...the email didn't arrive so after emailing them via their "24-hour-granted-reply-service-" (which is joke as they didn't reply at all, let alone in 24 hours) i finally got hold of someone on the phone to be told that my order is not on the system as I " probably was completing the process as they were selling out "

.......what is going on with O2? Poor planning doesn't quite cover it. The only saving grace is that I live in an area that has quite a few O2/Carphone warehouse stores.....but if I have to enduring queues, till payments crashing (remember that last time?) and their speeches about insurance I think I'll lose the plot.......

My mate knows the feeling, he ordered his iPhone online 30 mins after me, he got an order number but no email, called them up and they said it hadn't been processed, I got mine though . But it's still ridiculous, they say that 200,000 people subscribed to be alerted, surely they should have had stock for at least 100,000 people. Apparently they don't actually receive the iPhones until Thursday, seems more of a problem of Apple leaving o2 in the dark...

As for the training, it's rubbish in most retail stores, only the people who have some interest in phones take the time to go out and learn the stuff for them selves. I used to work in Curry's digital, the only people who knew anything were the salespeople who worked in the department of their own interest.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    graydaygrayday Posts: 2member
    :

I don't believe it! They debited my card for £99!!!! The f*****s!!!

I rang them again, to be told that my order has definitely not been processed and can I call them next week to arrange getting my money back!

AAAaaaaaaarrrrrrgghhhhh!!!