Spat with Rogers leaves Canadian Apple stores without iPhones

Comments

• Reply 61 of 177
    pixelnycpixelnyc Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Typical greed.

The thing that kills me about all of the cell phone data plans and the broadband prices out there is that they are pretty much making pure profit off of all of these things. It's not like they have to "manufacture and distribute" an actual physical commodity. They just have to make sure that the network is open and up and running.

It would be like me charging someone to get onto my WiFi network at home. Once I covered all my expenses of the hardware and service that I have to pay, it is all profit and I don't have to lift a finger to do anything.... ANYTHING!

I agree with the greed part, but the rest is off base. AT&T just invested a lot of money in to their 3G network. They also have to pay thousands of maintenance and customer service people to maintain the network and deal with customer issues. Your wifi is connected to cable or dsl service through a company dealing with the same issues...you're just the middle-man.

Not defending AT&T or any other carrier, just couldn't let the lack of logic slide. I'm very annoyed by the Apple/AT&T relationship and the lack of services for a fairly high premium that we apparently have to deal with here in the U.S. (land of the free?). But, it's not like any of the other networks are getting high speed networks up and running. There's a reason Apple chose AT&T, they had a roadmap that would be support the iPhone. Now I'm just babbling...back to my spaghetti.
  • Reply 62 of 177
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I tend to agree. Even if people didn't want to buy one the iPhone units on display are certainly a draw for increased foot traffic, which may result in the sale of an iPod or Mac. I wonder if Rogers will bend on this?

PS: How the heck did I miss this thread yesterday.

You must realise one thing about Apple, particularly Apple Retail, is that they will "turn down/away" business if needed. That is, they have very specific targets, and if they are confident they can reach this without the iPhone *at all*, Apple Canada will do this. Honestly, they will not have any trouble doing this.
  • Reply 63 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noxiousbob View Post

They have a 5GB International Data Roaming plan

The data roaming may be free if you have that plan add-on instead of domestic data (it's $60 instead of $30 I believe) but the voice roaming charges are outrageous (like .59 USD per minute or some ungodly number).
  • Reply 64 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelnyc View Post

Not defending AT&T or any other carrier, just couldn't let the lack of logic slide. I'm very annoyed by the Apple/AT&T relationship and the lack of services for a fairly high premium that we apparently have to deal with here in the U.S. (land of the free?). But, it's not like any of the other networks are getting high speed networks up and running. There's a reason Apple chose AT&T, they had a roadmap that would be support the iPhone. Now I'm just babbling...back to my spaghetti.

Verizon and Sprint's data networks have been running EV-DO rev. A for a couple years now, so it's not like AT&T has the only 3G network in the US. Apple also tried to deal with Verizon first, and Verizon turned them down, so Apple went to AT&T. It just so happened that AT&T's network is the same one standardized throughout the rest of the world, while the CDMA iPhone that Verizon would have required would be North America only. Unless they went with the Quad-Band route, like Verizon's Blackberries, but I believe that those can only connect to the voice networks overseas, not the data.
  • Reply 65 of 177
    cmasoncmason Posts: 41member
    According to this CBC article, Apple is indeed selling the iPhone 3G in their own stores in every other country, even Italy and Australia that only have one store:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ch-iphone.html

So, it definitely does seem like they are treating Canada differently, probably because of Rogers.

Also, the Apple web page with "where to buy" was just there, I assume, because they aren't selling it on the *online* Apple Store. I'm sure they always planned to sell it in their physical stores. (It's so obvious, they wouldn't have even mentioned it on their web page.)
  • Reply 66 of 177
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    Gee, memories of WorldCom and their rip-off metering system. Unlimited is the ONLY way to satisfy customers. If the problem is a fear of customers paying for unused minutes, can we say 'rollover' boys and girls? I would much rather lose unused minutes every month than pay extortionist fees to Vito and Guido Rogers...
  • Reply 67 of 177
    Even if Canada is the only country not selling the iPhone in Apple Stores, the fact is that this is not a new development. As I posted above, Tod Maffin reported being told this directly by Apple's official Canadian PR representative almost two weeks ago, before Rogers announced their data rates.

Even (although we have to assume Apple had some idea of what those rates were going to be, it was certainly before any public reaction to those rates had been assessed. Further, Canada is not the only country with high iPhone data rates.... It's just that we keep incessantly comparing ourselves to the U.S. so they seem ridiculously high by comparison. The UK's rates are somewhere in between ours and AT&T's, and the rates in countries like New Zealand, Mexico and Portugal are definitely not any better.

I can't see the data rates being an issue for Apple, and I strongly doubt any veracity to this rumour itself. If Apple changed their minds on selling the iPhone in Apple Retail Stores, they did it over two weeks ago. More likely they simply decided they weren't going to do it in the first place because they couldn't work things out with Rogers to handle in-store activation. I could see it being something as inane as Windows software being required to handle the actual contract sign-up procedures, and of course the idea of running something Windows-based in an Apple store would probably be antithetical to Apple's ideology.
  • Reply 68 of 177
    Okay.

Can anyone actually VERIFY that this so-called conference call happened, and those things were really said, and that there it was ever stated anywhere that Apple Stores in Canada would be selling the iPhone?

As far as I know, it's been known since the beginning that Apple will not have physical iPhones for sale in their stores in Canada. In fact, view this page ( http://todmaffin.com/iphonerumours ) which says: "Will I be able to buy the iPhone at Apple Stores?

No. They will be sold at Rogers/Fido stores only." That article was posted June 27th.

Also, the actual process of selling the phone involves unbricking it ( see here http://iphoneincanada.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1425 ), and setting up the phone with the cell network.

What does this mean? If Apple DID sell the iPhone 3G in stores, they would have to have a bunch of people from both Rogers and Fido in-store, to handle all of the new accounts (and account upgrades). Does this seem even remotely plausible? There is no way that Apple is going to have another company in their store. Can you imagine the conflict there? And, obviously they would not just sell the phone, and let people walk off with it without signing up the plan/contract - because the $199/$299 price is highly subsidized.

Can anyone provide a single link indicating that it was even once stated that you would be able to buy an iPhone in an Apple Store in Canada on July 11th? Probably not.

As such, the very premise of this news post is incorrect, and it's pure misinformation. Please back up your statements with verifiable links/sources. I'm feeling a bit frustrated that this is all being hyped up as some "Apple vs. Rogers spat" when there's no concrete evidence as such.
  • Reply 69 of 177
    pugphonepugphone Posts: 2member
    I've had the original unlocked iPhone on Rogers network with the Data Max plan now for about six months and you get 25Mb for $60/month and then gouged for any overage. Last month I was another 30Mb over and I got dinged about $130 for the overage. Add on another $60/month for voice, the taxes, stupid fees, etc. and the bill mounts. While I HATE Rogers, I left Bell as they were worse, and I REALLY love my iPhone. Looking at the current iPhone plans, they are actually a better deal than I have now, so I am tempted to just take one of the plans on my current phone, which has no commitment. I have also seen that they have a data plan that adjusts up to 6GB under the business section, so I am waiting out on how this whole thing will unfold. Part of the advantage of the new phone will be the GPS service and geo-enabled applications along with the faster network speed (allegedly). Mail has been ok on the current Edge network and surfing has been average. WiFi has been excellent! I hate Rogers, but what other options are there to use the iPhone in Canada?
  • Reply 70 of 177
    mwickensmwickens Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmason View Post

I'm sure they always planned to sell it in their physical stores. (It's so obvious, they wouldn't have even mentioned it on their web page.)

Then why would they mention it on the US page, which they do? I also would like to see a link to any confirmation by Apple or their reps that there will be iPhones in any Apple stores outside the US on launch day.
  • Reply 71 of 177
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    All these phone companies are doing is drawing more attention to the "locked phones" situation. It's the governments job to not allow companies to stifle competition and innovation. By offering a product that people want under these circumstances, more and more attention is being drawn to the ridiculousness of the anti-competitive nature of wireless companies. In the long run, we will all be glad that at&t and Rogers got greedy, because it will serve as the final straw.
  • Reply 72 of 177
    pugphonepugphone Posts: 2member
    I called the Apple Store Yorkdale this afternoon and they couldn't tell me if they were going to sell the phones or not on Friday. I called a Rogers Store (Tricell, I think) and they said that they definitely would be and the one at the St. Clair Centre was taking orders for them over a week ago.
  • Reply 73 of 177
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I can see by reading post on this topic who are the business owners and who are the consumers.

Exclusive deals that Apple has made is how they were able to get there product to market. With the tech they were bringing online they needed the infrastructure there to handle their product.

1. You never want to release a product into a market segment that is dependent on other vendors that do not have the infrastructure.

2. The performance of your product dependent on other vendors that do not have the proper infrastructure will reflect your product in a negative light.

The iPhone was a big gamble and a huge step for Apple they have to protect them selves by not releasing an unlocked iPhone.

"If Apple really cared..." I find that statement troubling.

It is not what a consumer feels is fair it is what the market will bear.

The amount of hidden cost with starting, building and maintaining a business is insanely exorbitant. You always try and capitalize on what you can sell your products for because at some point you will have to reduce the price due to new competition.

"exclusivity contracts with particular carriers got them into the mess, and now they have to deal with it" ... in your opinion. I re-fer to my earlier statement bringing products to market. The last I had heard Apple had sold all there 1st Generation iPhone stock, I would say that is not a mess.
  • Reply 74 of 177
    cmasoncmason Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by necro2607 View Post

Okay.

Can anyone actually VERIFY that this so-called conference call happened, and those things were really said, and that there it was ever stated anywhere that Apple Stores in Canada would be selling the iPhone?

As far as I know, it's been known since the beginning that Apple will not have physical iPhones for sale in their stores in Canada. In fact, view this page ( http://todmaffin.com/iphonerumours ) which says: "Will I be able to buy the iPhone at Apple Stores?

No. They will be sold at Rogers/Fido stores only." That article was posted June 27th.

Also, the actual process of selling the phone involves unbricking it ( see here http://iphoneincanada.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1425 ), and setting up the phone with the cell network.

What does this mean? If Apple DID sell the iPhone 3G in stores, they would have to have a bunch of people from both Rogers and Fido in-store, to handle all of the new accounts (and account upgrades). Does this seem even remotely plausible? There is no way that Apple is going to have another company in their store. Can you imagine the conflict there? And, obviously they would not just sell the phone, and let people walk off with it without signing up the plan/contract - because the $199/$299 price is highly subsidized.

Can anyone provide a single link indicating that it was even once stated that you would be able to buy an iPhone in an Apple Store in Canada on July 11th? Probably not.

As such, the very premise of this news post is incorrect, and it's pure misinformation. Please back up your statements with verifiable links/sources. I'm feeling a bit frustrated that this is all being hyped up as some "Apple vs. Rogers spat" when there's no concrete evidence as such.

Okay, you guys might be right they didn't plan to sell in physical stores in Canada. But, still, why just Rogers? These signup problems exist in all countries, but apparently they are all selling iPhones (according to the CBC article.) So, they must have been able to work out the technical/co-ordination issues everywhere else. Makes Rogers look incompetent.
  • Reply 75 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

All these phone companies are doing is drawing more attention to the "locked phones" situation.

Locked or not, Rogers and AT&T are still the only real option for UTMS. Only if Apple made a CDMA/CDMA2000 version or a carrier switched to GSM/UTMS would they have to worry, and I don't see either of those happening.

If you have a cheaper data plan I'd wait for a proper unlocking hack so you can maintain your current package and just use that SIM in the iPhone, assuming that you are with AT&T or Rogers and that it will allow you on the 3G network. Or just get one of the many EDGE iPhones that will be available latter this month.
  • Reply 76 of 177
    Quote:

Makes Rogers look incompetent.

They are. They're horrible. They have a long history of pissing off every customer they have, individual or corporation. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_..._on_rate_plans ) Companies nationwide in Canada are angry at being gouged by high-priced BlackBerry plans, and now individuals nationwide are angry as hell about the iPhone plan pricing. Rogers has been able to continue on with abusive tactics for years because they are the only GSM provider in Canada, and once Fido was bought out by them (I still wonder how that legally even occured), all competition was removed.
  • Reply 77 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So, they must have been able to work out the technical/co-ordination issues everywhere else.

Perhaps Rogers is more anal than the others or perhaps it was part of the contractual arrangement to sell the iPhone in Canada knowing they were the only option Apple had.
  • Reply 78 of 177
    jwsteelejwsteele Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by necro2607 View Post

I'm feeling a bit frustrated that this is all being hyped up as some "Apple vs. Rogers spat" when there's no concrete evidence as such.

While I suspect these rumours are not true, I LOVE all the anti-Rogers rumours. And the idea of Apple laying a beatdown on Apple in defense of all us Canadian iPhone fans, well you can beat that. It's classic good guy vs. bad guy. Love it!

The people who aren't picking up the basic explanations provided about unlocking (i.e. having a competing compatible 3G network to use) only provide more enjoyment in this thread. So funny.
  • Reply 79 of 177
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Typical greed.

The thing that kills me about all of the cell phone data plans and the broadband prices out there is that they are pretty much making pure profit off of all of these things. It's not like they have to "manufacture and distribute" an actual physical commodity. They just have to make sure that the network is open and up and running.

It would be like me charging someone to get onto my WiFi network at home. Once I covered all my expenses of the hardware and service that I have to pay, it is all profit and I don't have to lift a finger to do anything.... ANYTHING!

That's a bright display of ignorance. It takes *billions* of dollars to simply "make sure that the network is open and up and running". Plus the *billions* to buy spectrum from the government. Right, pure profit.

I think Rogers is screwing its customers royally and then twice again, but it is extremely expensive to run a cell network. You simply can't compare your little wifi home network using consumer grade tech compared to cell towers, multiple T1s per tower, data centers, switches, etc...
  • Reply 80 of 177
    ronkronk Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pugphone View Post

I've had the original unlocked iPhone on Rogers network with the Data Max plan now for about six months and you get 25Mb for $60/month and then gouged for any overage. Last month I was another 30Mb over and I got dinged about $130 for the overage. Add on another $60/month for voice, the taxes, stupid fees, etc. and the bill mounts. While I HATE Rogers, I left Bell as they were worse, and I REALLY love my iPhone. Looking at the current iPhone plans, they are actually a better deal than I have now, so I am tempted to just take one of the plans on my current phone, which has no commitment. I have also seen that they have a data plan that adjusts up to 6GB under the business section, so I am waiting out on how this whole thing will unfold. Part of the advantage of the new phone will be the GPS service and geo-enabled applications along with the faster network speed (allegedly). Mail has been ok on the current Edge network and surfing has been average. WiFi has been excellent! I hate Rogers, but what other options are there to use the iPhone in Canada?

I am wondering if this is possible. Somebody just gave me a 2.5G iphone and looking at the small print at the bottom of the iphone plan pages it says the plans are available on a 36 month contract. So does that mean I need to sign up for 3 years just to get the plan with my own phone? I will try calling them later on to ask about his.