Microsoft Active Sync problem/question

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I haven't seen anything specific in regards to this question but maybe one of you can help me out. I am planning on getting the new iphone 3g for work and will be taking advantage of the microsoft active sync to access my work email. In order to using microsoft active sync do i need to sign up for an enterprise plan or can I move forward with just a typical plan and data and minutes and all that other semi-overpriced stuff? I have heard yes you do need enterprise and no you don't if you are just using it for email (just like any other phone and plan on att)

anyone, anyone?

thank you in advance.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tailg8r View Post

I haven't seen anything specific in regards to this question but maybe one of you can help me out. I am planning on getting the new iphone 3g for work and will be taking advantage of the microsoft active sync to access my work email. In order to using microsoft active sync do i need to sign up for an enterprise plan or can I move forward with just a typical plan and data and minutes and all that other semi-overpriced stuff? I have heard yes you do need enterprise and no you don't if you are just using it for email (just like any other phone and plan on att)

anyone, anyone?

thank you in advance.....

No, you absolutely do not need an enterprise plan. ActiveSync is built into all iPhones regardless of what plan you have.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hemlockzhemlockz Posts: 2member
    Does anyone know if Active Sync over IPSec is going to work? Will VPN need to be connected each time to sync, or will it stay connected but only used to connect to the Exchange server? IT does not want to make the exchange server available to public internet, so a VPN connection is required to use the Active Sync services running on the email server.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

No, you absolutely do not need an enterprise plan. ActiveSync is built into all iPhones regardless of what plan you have.

I hope that's true, and it certainly seems right to me, but tell that to AT&T.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tailg8rtailg8r Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I hope that's true, and it certainly seems right to me, but tell that to AT&T.

doh! I hate this. I keep getting different answers to matter who I talk to. I guess microsoft active sync isn't just for corporate email but is also for syncing contacts, music, etc. if they are going to be a-holes and make me get an enterprise data plan when the only thing i need is the email and none of that other vpn, etc options then i am tempted to not get one.....

who am i kidding.....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hemlockzhemlockz Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tailg8r View Post

doh! I hate this. I keep getting different answers to matter who I talk to. I guess microsoft active sync isn't just for corporate email but is also for syncing contacts, music, etc. if they are going to be a-holes and make me get an enterprise data plan when the only thing i need is the email and none of that other vpn, etc options then i am tempted to not get one.....

who am i kidding.....

You should be able to also Active Sync using your WiFi connection, or even a cable. That will have nothing to do with the dataplan. If you need to VPN over the 3G connection, that may be where the enterprise plan comes in but I haven't read about it...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think it may just be wishful thinking on the part of AT&T, and hemlockz is right. But we'll all know for certain in three days.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I may be eating my own words here.

Technically, in order to use ActiveSync all you need is the ActiveSync client loaded on the device and an internet connection. But it really sounds like ATT is going to some how lock users out of ActiveSync on the iPhone unless you have an Enterprise Plan?!?!?

That is seriously f-ed up. I can go buy any Windows Mobile phone and use ActiveSync and not sign up for an "Enterprise Data Plan".

I'll jailbreak my iPhone if this is the case. The cost difference between ActiveSync and MobileMe is exactly nothing to ATT so why do I need to fork over an extra $15 a month?

I really hope my first response turns out to be true...