Microsoft plans anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    eyensteinnoeyensteinno Posts: 148member
    The MS exec just now finding "similar wrinkles". My wife got a new Sony Core 2 dual laptop (setup wireless) for her birthday (Feb) from her son. It came with Vista and replaces her HP tower which had plenty of RAM, large disk and XP pro. All she does is IM, email and shop. BUT SHE WOULD NOT LET ME USE THE NEW SONY because it had wrinkles. NOW I know what she was talking about.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

WTF does that mean?

They are going to tell you that while it might be OK to use your Mac at home, you'll need VISTA (or at least, Microsoft) at work - that other part of your life. Therefore, stick with MS for your 'all of life' needs. Send me negotiable funds Bill!
  • Reply 23 of 104
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I am personally not very happy with OSX Leopard or OSX Leopard Server nor their recent bug-ridden updates, nor the fact that their next major bug release is 11 months from now. Windows XP has some features that the Mac should've had for years, such as in a two monitor setup, not having to run your mouse back to your first monitor to access your drop-down menus.

Having said that, I have no sympathy for Microsoft and I'd love to see them slip into oblivion. At the same time I welcome this challenge only to see Apple take their hardware and OS seriously again. Like many others I'd like to read more Mac articles on Mac sites and less iPhone articles.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    ehychehych Posts: 4member
    Actually it had been announced in March that they approached the Crispin Porter + Bogusky advertising firm for a new campaign.

You can see the articles here:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...-hes-a-pc.html

http://mintywhite.com/tech/es/vista/...onse-to-apple/

It may be too late for Microsoft to renew it's image, but at least they're going to try and do something different (in the advertising area)
  • Reply 25 of 104
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    It's a shame the didn't route this money into making the OS faster. I find it to be stable, but not zippy.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    ehychehych Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

... At the same time I welcome this challenge only to see Apple take their hardware and OS seriously again. Like many others I'd like to read more Mac articles on Mac sites and less iPhone articles.

Agree 100%
  • Reply 27 of 104
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Apparently, he's never heard of iLife...

Yeah, that spinning beachball looks really good when launching iPhoto.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

I don't get it - he is basically agreeing with the Apple ads here - so what's his problems with the ads?

+++

• Reply 29 of 104
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Ha!

Sure, spend millions of dollars *marketing* Vista. THAT's the problem...not the fact that it's a piece of useless shit. Whatever you do, don't spend all that money, oh, I don't know, FIXING THE STUPID OS. You know. The one that even Windows people hate and don't use.

Oh Microsoft. You sad, stupid, senile old man. I think it's time we took you to a place that can take better care of you, for your winter years are waning.

I think its sad people seem to have a personal vendetta against a company. Competition in the marketplace helps everyone, and even though I have had problems with OS X and Vista, I still feel both are great OS's, just both require some fixes. Both companies seem dedicated to these fixes (Microsoft with their recent SP1 release, Apple with their "We're fixing it in 10.6" dedication.) I feel both companies set too ambituious of targets with their latest OS and are feeling the need to step back before getting back into things with their newest actual release in a few years.

And throwing more money into isn't going to help. Its Microsoft, I can assure you they are already putting large resources into fixing the issues.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    MS best bet would be to show a video of loading a decent size excel document (with charts) in MS-office (on vista or xp) - (preferably emulated with VM-fusion ) and comparing it side by side with office 2008 latest on a macbook pro.

The Emulated version is so much faster (actions take a second or so) whereas the mac-office2008 takes tens of seconds to do many of the same actions. I think most people would shudder at the time it takes on a mac. Of course office 2008-mac is an MS product, but thay could utilize duct-tape over the name on the box......

I love macbook pro and apple Leopard - but office on the mac is awful awful awful.

If ever I get time, I wil do a youtube side by side
  • Reply 31 of 104
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Wow, MS is really funny these days. First was Vista, then Zune, then ZunePhone (I read it somewhere, in development), and now its MS Ad!

I mean after how many years, only now they want to fire back Apple Get a Mac ad?. This would be fun, watching 2 commercials compete against each other .

But honestly, what do MS have to say bout Vista?

Its better then OS X because of.....none? but in a negative way, Vista is wayyy better then OS X because it gives you lots of stupid bugs, incompatibilities and it forces you to upgrade your hardware! yeah...X for Vista baby!.

I mean that isn't it too late to clear Vista bad image? you can conduct a research to anyone comparing OSX, Win XP and Windows Vista and Vista will come out last in the preferred OS.

Im getting popcorns! Anyone want some?
  • Reply 32 of 104
    ameristamerist Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Having lost its patience with Apple's "Get a Mac" advertising campaign attacking Windows Vista's public perception, Microsoft will spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to prop up the standing of its operating system.

You can't polish a turd.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Yeah, that spinning beachball looks really good when launching iPhoto.

On what kind of computer, how long does it take to load for you, and how many pictures do you have?

I think part of what takes it "so long" is to load all the image previews, but once loaded, the program's pretty zippy. I have 16,000 pictures and it takes my Mac Pro about five seconds to load iPhoto..
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

I think its sad people seem to have a personal vendetta against a company. Competition in the marketplace helps everyone

An abusive monopoly isn't healthy competition.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

At the same time I welcome this challenge only to see Apple take their hardware and OS seriously again. Like many others I'd like to read more Mac articles on Mac sites and less iPhone articles.

iPhone news IS Mac news. The iPhone and iPod touch are running mobile versions of OS X that are probably very similar to what Snow Leopard will be when it's released next year - signed apps, resolution independence, etc.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    omackoomacko Posts: 3member
    Aside from bugs and incompatibilities, I've felt the problem with Vista is a lack of innovation. What is actually better about Vista compared to XP? Ok, the interface is different, but is it actually better or even cooler? I don't think so. When Microsoft went from Windows 3.1 to 95 everyone wanted it because of it's brand new interface and at least half of the operating system was new from ground up. Back then, I actually payed for the beta CD to catch a glimpse of it. It's true that the Mac OS doesn't change drastically from release to release either, but then despite all the hype about owning a Mac, most people don't own one yet, so this makes the Mac OS still cool. People can talk about how their friends have one and how cool it is to use, and how they want to buy their own Mac to try out later on. I though MS dropped the ball with Vista...they should have given their product a cooler name and done an interface that's much better looking and more innovative.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    eyensteinnoeyensteinno Posts: 148member
    "compatible with your whole life". I think he's talking about software like my bank has. it does electronic transfers to my wife's account and she get's to spend it right now!

As far as what WTF means, I think it stands for "With True Feelings" since my wife uses those 3 letters every time in her emails when bank transfer is late.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    Yet another decision by reaction! Is there any management decision MS has taken in recent years which wasn't pure reaction (and mostly to Apple)? Management by reaction means someone else is setting the agenda.

Vista was an attempt to capture some of the cachet of OS X, Zune was an attempt to cash in on iPod's success, the so far failed attempt at taking over Yahoo is a reaction to Google (and doomed to failure, win or lose).

The only standout characteristic of MS these days is the endless string of failures (including mammoth legal failures, eg in Europe). Something as huge as MS takes a long time to sink, but this is one very leaky old tub.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Ha!

Sure, spend millions of dollars *marketing* Vista. THAT's the problem...not the fact that it's a piece of useless shit. Whatever you do, don't spend all that money, oh, I don't know, FIXING THE STUPID OS. You know. The one that even Windows people hate and don't use.

Oh Microsoft. You sad, stupid, senile old man. I think it's time we took you to a place that can take better care of you, for your winter years are waning.

NO KIDDING! For god sakes, use the "hundreds of millions" to make sure Windows 7 is something worth buying! The last thing MS needs it a marketing campaign! I can't wait to see what type of crap they come up with. Remember the 'Zune' campaign? Full of weird, disturbing artwork and of course the single GREATEST marketing slogan ever "WELCOME TO THE SOCIAL"! And not to mention the winner they had with the concept of "Squirting" songs between friends! What a monumental failure!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

As far as what WTF means, I think it stands for "With True Feelings" since my wife uses those 3 letters every time in her emails when bank transfer is late.

HA!
  • Reply 40 of 104
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Well see the following from Steve Ballmer on the importance of Advertising to MS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkA9...eature=related

It seems Advertising is the new policy, it seems to be more important than all matters of substance. Do we all think this is going to drive success?

And for a further treat, why not check out his super motivational antics on stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsbo...eature=related

Now why can't we all have a CEO like that?!