Additional notes on iPhone 3G software, activations, plans, etc

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Included are some rough and dirty notes on: the build number of iPhone Software v2.0 gold master, iPhone 3G sales to Apple store customers unaware of their upgrade pricing eligibility, in-store activation times, FamilyTalk plans, and more.

The build number of iPhone Software 2.0 shipping on iPhone 3G handsets that will go on sale Friday is '5A345.'

The model number of the 8GB iPhone itself is 'MB709LL.'

As mentioned previously, Apple retail employees will not be able tell whether an existing non-iPhone AT&T customer is eligible for upgrade pricing before beginning a new iPhone 3G purchase transaction, so customers should determine this on their own first. However, customers unsure of their upgrade status can still upgrade to iPhone 3G at Apple retail stores. Once a purchase transaction for these customers has begun, Apple's EasyPay handheld systems will indeed tap AT&T's account database at a certain point to determine the price to charge the customer for the iPhone hardware. The customer just won't know ahead of time unless they check their account status online, go to an AT&T store, or call AT&T customer service.

The actual activation of an iPhone 3G through the modified iTunes app Apple and AT&T will use takes less than 30 seconds. A credit check takes about 5 minutes and the remainder of the process that includes picking a plan takes less than 5 minutes.

The majority of customers signing new 24-month contracts with AT&T should be prepared to possibly have their existing rollover minutes reset to the number of monthly minutes included with their new iPhone 3G plan. This is standard practice for AT&T and it's possible it will carry over to iPhone upgrades.

AT&T's 4000 minute ($259.99) and 6000 minute ($359.99) FamilyTalk plans are somewhat pointless and AT&T reps have confessed to almost never selling these plans in favor of the Unlimited FamilyTalk plan ($259.99) or breaking down a two-line FamilyTalk plan into two individual plans.

The $30 Unlimited Text Message plan for FamilyTalk plans is the only text message plan that can be shared across all FamilyTalk lines. FamilyTalk subscribers can still purchase the 200 ($5), or 1500 ($15) text message plans, but must purchase those plans on a per-line basis. They cannot be shared.

Customers will have to accept AT&T's terms and conditions using a signature capture device in AT&T stores (and likely Apple stores as well).

An unconfirmed report suggests that the UK's Carphone Warehouse was expecting 50,000 iPhones on launch date but will now receive just 5500 8GB models and 3500 16GB models. Staff were reportedly told to expect an average of 12 iPhones per store, down from the average of 80 for the original iPhone launch. A large delivery of iPhones is expected in 10 to 14 days. O2 has also warned its customers of weeks-long iPhone shortages.

Some rough photos of an activated iPhone 3G are included below, though BGR has posted a more visually appealing gallery of an inactive unit being unboxed. [Mirror at Gizmodo]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    Great news about the optional text plans for FamilyTalk! We certainly didn't need unlimited texts, and getting us each individual 200 message plans is still $20 less than sharing an unlimited one.

Works for me.

I'd still like to know if when I get my 3G iPhone in the Apple store and activate using a FamilyTalk Plan, will they also be able to set up my wife with my old hand-me-down 2G iPhone at the same time? (she will be a new customer to AT&T and want to port her Verizon number over)
  • Reply 2 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

Great news about the optional text plans for FamilyTalk! We certainly didn't need unlimited texts, and getting us each individual 200 message plans is still $20 less than sharing an unlimited one.

Ditto. One phone on my plan wants the 200 SMS and I don't. I send and receive maybe 10 a month, but could do without it altogether. The 20¢ each or $30 for unlimited didn't make any sense and was going to talk to a rep on Friday to see if they could swing it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I guess it is about time I start looking for a good 3G iPhone case

I am disappointed that Apple did not include the dock
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess it is about time I start looking for a good 3G iPhone case

I am disappointed that Apple did not include the dock

My case will be the Mophie JuicePack... when the finally come out with for the 3G iPhone.

I'm surprised anyone used the dock. Perhaps because I don't have a desk job I never had a reason to use it.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My case will be the Mophie JuicePack... when the finally come out with for the 3G iPhone.

I'm surprised anyone used the dock. Perhaps because I don't have a desk job I never had a reason to use it.

I never used it either because my case was not dock friendly. It was good to have it though.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I never used it either because my case was not dock friendly. It was good to have it though.

A used-Universal Dock on eBay should allow you put either iPhone with most cases into it when not using the inserts. You might be able to have an Apple Store employee test this for you once you get your new phone and case.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    I use the original dock all the time at my home computer. I never used a case for my iPhone so that was never an issue. I know my wife will want to put it into a case though when she gets it handed down (I guess that's one of the benefits of simply carrying it in your pocket instead of a purse.)

Will the 3G iPhone fit into the old 2G iPhone dock?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

I use the original dock all the time at my home computer. I never used a case for my iPhone so that was never an issue. I know my wife will want to put it into a case though when she gets it handed down (I guess that's one of the benefits of simply carrying it in your pocket instead of a purse.)

Will the 3G iPhone fit into the old 2G iPhone dock?

The 3G iPhone dock look different on Apple website. The new one will be shaped to accommodate the curved back.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    lonestar1lonestar1 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The majority of customers signing new 18-month contracts with AT&T should be prepared to possibly have their existing rollover minutes reset

18-month contracts???
  • Reply 10 of 17
    skylorskylor Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonestar1 View Post

18-month contracts???

They meant 2 year contracts.

If your account is in good standing, AT&T allows customers to upgrade to a new phone in 18 months.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The build number of iPhone Software 2.0 shipping on iPhone 3G handsets that will go on sale Friday is '5A345.'

Build 5A345 is actually Beta 8, which was available to developers on June 26.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neptune2000 View Post

Build 5A345 is actually Beta 8, which was available to developers on June 26.

Which is the Golden Master for the iPhone v2.0 release.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

The majority of customers signing new 18-month contracts with AT&T should be prepared to possibly have their existing rollover minutes reset to the number of monthly minutes included with their new iPhone 3G plan. This is standard practice for AT&T and it's possible it will carry over to iPhone upgrades.

that would not bee cool. I hardly talk on my phone, giving me more than 3,000 rollovers, but still, i paid for them!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ?MiMiC View Post

that would not bee cool. I hardly talk on my phone, giving me more than 3,000 rollovers, but still, i paid for them!

They tried this on me when I switched to a lower monthly rate plan.

Their excuse was that some dishonest people signed up for the highest rate plans, then changed the next month, after they had tons of rollover minutes, to the cheapest plans.

I asked the guy why that would be dishonest since those minutes were paid for already... he credited back my unused rollover minutes.

• Reply 15 of 17
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I just can't say it enough: TEXT MESSAGING IS A RIP OFF!! For some reason, it just pisses me off how much they charge for sending a few kb of text.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    callaway7callaway7 Posts: 22member
    Saw this in another thread, someone mentioned about the possibility of canceling your current ATT contract (now prorated) and then signing up as a new user to save a few bucks. If you're near the end of your contract, may not be a bad idea. I've still got over a year so

-135 termination

-$32 activation fee

-Unknown prorated fee for first month

-$69.99 for first month

-$299 for 16gb phone.

Total - $535 (probably higher because I don't know what the prorated fee for the first month will be)

OR

$499 for just doing the upgrade. Think I'm going to just do the upgrade and suck it up.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    callaway7callaway7 Posts: 22member
    Saw this in another thread, someone mentioned about the possibility of canceling your current ATT contract (now prorated) and then signing up as a new user to save a few bucks. If you're near the end of your contract, may not be a bad idea. I've still got over a year so

-$135 termination

-$32 activation fee

-Unknown prorated fee for first month

-$69.99 for first month

-$299 for 16gb phone.

Total - $535 (probably higher because I don't know what the prorated fee for the first month will be)

OR

$499 for just doing the upgrade. Think I'm going to just do the upgrade and suck it up.