What advertising concepts could Microsoft use against Apple?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I ask this for academic feedback, as I am an advertising major

Seriously, I was thinking of an ad with all these snooty apple store employees, or graphic designer types, saying "I don't think you need to do that." or "I think that's not important" or "I think you don't understand" and then cut back to a kid looking at the camera saying "I just want to play a game on a mac" or a mom saying "I just want to do x,y, or z"- whatever they can come up with that apple supposedly can't do.

Then, a tagline- "Vista Can" or "Forget the I-Way" or something like that, and some happy music, and the microsoft vista logo.

See, I have been going around and around with this idea that Microsoft is finally going to attack apple. I am a mac convert- and I won't ever go back. I just don't know how they could do it. The only thing I could see them doing is taking on the "image" of the stereotypical mac user- I am not saying it is correct, but hey- the stereotype is out there.

The ad agency they hired is pretty amazing- I am itching to see what they come up with.

I figured being that we are mac users, some of us converts away from vista and xp, there might be some interesting discussion on what approach an "anti-mac microsoft campaign might take.

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Rumor has it that Johnny Knoxville's services have been retained
  • Reply 2 of 19
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Are you for real! Wow- that would be hilarious.

What is your source?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    "Support the underdog! They made it, we copied it, their's works, ours doesn't... We need your support!"
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Are you for real! Wow- that would be hilarious.

What is your source?

I don't remember where I read that but it was several weeks ago. Google "microsoft knoxville" and you'll come up with a few hits
  • Reply 5 of 19
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    You should know as an advertising major that the #1 never talks about the #2. If you're bigger you don't acknowledge the smaller players. I think they'll probably do stuff that talks up the features of Vista without explicitly mentioning the Mac. Of course, CPB has gone against the rules in the past, so I'm very interested to see what they decide to do as well. Having been an Associate Creative Director on the MS account for many years, I'm not so sure the barrier is the agency as it is the client.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

"Forget the I-Way"

Is it to late to change your major?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

is it to late to change your major?

lol!!!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    No idiot, I graduated. I now do specialized advertising campaign consulting for attorneys based strictly on an ROI model. But hey- good anonymous comment. Nothing like an insult from someone that can't get hit.

Anyway...

I agree with the other post about never talking about the #2- but I think there is a serious problem with Microsoft's eroding market share- every mac buy is not just a pc non-buy, but a buy against the market for future microsoft operating system upgrades. The buyer of a new mac would have been the buyer of a new pc that would likely be able to run the next windows. So #2 by marketshare today is likely on the road to being #1 by marketshare in the future. By that estimation, I think that makes Apple the #1, considering the next major revenue jump for Microsoft will be with their next major operating system.

Or Zune
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

You should know as an advertising major that the #1 never talks about the #2. If you're bigger you don't acknowledge the smaller players. I think they'll probably do stuff that talks up the features of Vista without explicitly mentioning the Mac. Of course, CPB has gone against the rules in the past, so I'm very interested to see what they decide to do as well. Having been an Associate Creative Director on the MS account for many years, I'm not so sure the barrier is the agency as it is the client.

So obviously the people at Bud Lite and Miller Lite didn't major in Advertising
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Hey- I have an idea- how about people posting in this thread stay on topic and talk about approaches Microsoft might take in attacking Apple or promoting Vista instead of throwing lame insults at each other?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Hey- I have an idea- how about people posting in this thread stay on topic and talk about approaches Microsoft might take in attacking Apple or promoting Vista instead of throwing lame insults at each other?

Agreed.

My point was not meant to be derogatory but rather quite serious in a playful manner. Look, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about advertising except for two things:

1) Advertise what works

2) Don't forget #1

Budweiser is something like three times the size of Miller (well, before MillerCoors) and they didn't hesitate. If I thought long and hard enough I could probly come up with more examples but my point was simply "if it works, nothing is off limits"
  • Reply 12 of 19
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    That would work were it not for the fact that just about everything IS easier on a Mac. You're camera example is an ad for Apple not the other way around. As I understand, Microsoft does very little advertising and the advertising it does do is light and fluffy and devoid of details (not to say Apple's isn't, but at least they IMPLY certain things, like ease of use, Microsoft doesn't even do that). Microsoft will always just try to cast themselves in a warm friendly light...working for you sort of thing. That is, to counter the truth and widely held beliefs and conceptions. Things like, happy attractive young business types, sipping lattes in cafés with occasional glances at Microsoft Vista and some fancy graph in Excel. It sounds clichéd but it's the only thing Microsoft can really do at this point.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you did an advertising major why can't you come up with something like that... It's like the advertising agency they hired to create the London 2012 Olympics Logo. They spent a quarter of a million pounds and all they managed to create looks like something a child would vomit up after playing with play-do.

Quote:

I ask this for academic feedback, as I am an advertising major

Seriously, I was thinking of an ad with all these snooty apple store employees, or graphic designer types, saying "I don't think you need to do that." or "I think that's not important" or "I think you don't understand" and then cut back to a kid looking at the camera saying "I just want to play a game on a mac" or a mom saying "I just want to do x,y, or z"- whatever they can come up with that apple supposedly can't do.

Then, a tagline- "Vista Can" or "Forget the I-Way" or something like that, and some happy music, and the microsoft vista logo.

• Reply 13 of 19
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

So obviously the people at Bud Lite and Miller Lite didn't major in Advertising

I don't follow their campaigns that closely but I don't recall Bud Light basing any campaigns on Miller Lite. Whereas Miller Lite is pretty famous for "Tastes Great, Less Filling." I also started my career working on Diet Pepsi and Pepsi. The same rule applied there. Pepsi's advertising was about Coke; Coke doesn't do ads about Pepsi.

Did I not also say in my post that CPB is an agency that could go against the "rules"? They're the folks behind the "Truth" campaign for anti-smoking. I think it's probably the most interesting and effective anti-smoking campaign that could be done.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

No idiot, I graduated. But hey- good anonymous comment.

Word of advice. Try less of the idiot stuff. And what do you mean by anonymous?

I asked an honest question that I thought might lead to a dialogue that possibly could help you in any future career choice. Mistakenly I was too late. I am sorry.

PS. "Microsoft, better than Apple ..... honestly" (Happy music. Cut to logo)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    There are a number of things PCs are better at like software compatibility, driver support, games, upgrades (cost and choice), repair centers, performance due to not having limiting designs. 3rd parties have already done ads about these on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=-1&oq=truenuf

The thing I find ironic though is if they do a anti-Apple advertising campaign, it's actually just another thing they've copied Apple at.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Repair centres? Driver support? Even performance (every day use) all questionable, particularly the first two.

If M$ did anti-Apple ads it'd be like they're acknowledging Apple as a threat to their core business. M$ in its infinite arrogance will never admit that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are a number of things PCs are better at like software compatibility, driver support, games, upgrades (cost and choice), repair centers, performance due to not having limiting designs. 3rd parties have already done ads about these on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=-1&oq=truenuf

The thing I find ironic though is if they do a anti-Apple advertising campaign, it's actually just another thing they've copied Apple at.

• Reply 17 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    ``We're so passionate about our Operating System that we are willing to throw these Hermann Miller Aero chairs at anyone who calls us nuts.''
  • Reply 18 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Repair centres?

Yeah, you can take your PC into almost any local PC store for repair. Obviously inside of warranty you'd return it to where you bought it but for any kind of upgrade or fix, there are way more PC shops than Apple certified repair shops and the PC shops charge much less for their engineers to fix stuff.

Quote:

Driver support?

I don't know of a single device that doesn't have a Windows driver but I've come across quite a few devices such as old laser printers, multi-function inkjets, webcams, voice recorders, keyboards, USB modems, GPS devices etc that don't have Mac drivers.

Quote:

Even performance (every day use) all questionable, particularly the first two.

Performance can vary from machine to machine and a lot of cheap PCs I've used typically don't run that well but right now, you can get double the hardware performance for the same price on some models or the same performance for close to half the price. The hardware usually isn't that bad performance-wise on the Mac but they also lack options (BTO and models to choose from).

Software performance I find better on Windows. Applications launch quicker and everything just seems more optimized. I know that it depends on the apps and it's not always Apple's fault for this but it's annoying to go into VMWare, click on Microsoft Word and it's launched and ready to type almost before I release the mouse button and I wish that OS X apps did the same. Hardly any OS X apps pop up immediately. Launch Textedit and boom it's there. That's what a lot of apps do on Windows.

I wouldn't trade the Mac experience for a Windows one in a million years but there is definitely material that Microsoft could use in advertising against Apple.

This one about Mac gaming is a bit old but it's still really funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAgrrwL_mk

The bit where he whispers Photoshop is awesome.

It's true that you can do gaming on a Mac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qacYf...eature=related

but only really using Windows. The Mac OS still lacks developer support. They might have to attack it from two angles because if they say things like Macs don't run games, they define 'Mac' to mean Mac hardware + Mac OS X.

Quote:

If M$ did anti-Apple ads it'd be like they're acknowledging Apple as a threat to their core business. M$ in its infinite arrogance will never admit that.

I think you're right but isn't Ballmer in charge now?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    They could have a father-son in a Best Buy-like store walking past a shelf of peripherals (video cards, sound cards, Blu-ray drives, etc.) and the kid reads the specs of the peripheral and asks his father if they can get it. The father says "No.", takes it from his son's hands and puts it back on the shelf then takes the kid's hand and continues to walk. Again, the kid pulls his hand from his father's and picks up another peripheral and gets excited after reading it, and again, the father says "No.". Finally, the kid asks why they can get them and the father says "Because we have a Mac". Each time the kid picks up a peripheral he excitedly talks about how their computing experience will improve with the newer hardware.

The message will be, with a PC you can upgrade the part you need, but with a Mac, you have to buy a new Mac to get the "latest and greatest", and that is if you can even get the latest and greatest.