Create multiple user accounts macbook, x2 iphones? Please advise.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance.

We currently own a macbook (our first mac experience) and love it.

I am mainly the one who uses this although hubby would like to more (if I let him)

Currently I only have one main admin account. We are about to buy (if we can get our hands on them) 2 iphones. I started thinking about creating a new account for my hubby then realised it got a bit more complex than I thought.

All of my content is in my account. I understand that I can only share itunes music (not movies). My calendar could easily be used by just adding one calendar for hubby to use. I guess the advantage then is we see what each other are doing and just use the one ical for everything (Poppet work, General Home, Hubby's whereabouts, Kiddies, Term times, anniversaries etc etc). At the moment I have 4/5 email accounts that come in to Leopard mail. We are happy for each other to see the mail accounts so this work ok at the moment. Contacts could easily be managed by using a directory.

In an ideal world I would like to create hubby his own account so that he only has to worry about his stuff and can feel free to mess about with his account but it seems like too much hard work to give him access to all my apps, photos, movies. If this is easier than I think please let me know I'd appreciate that.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to which way is best to manage 2 iphones. Is there anything that I need to watch out for. I'll got some content purchased on itunes (kids stuff and a some comedy stuff). What's the deal with this. Would we be able to see this on both iphones connected to itunes?

I am not sure if I am making this more complex than it needs to be but I want to make sure I have all angles covered before the big purchases.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    poppetpoppet Posts: 90member
    p.s

I also only have one .mac email address / account at the moment.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    We also have two iPhones - we have a .Mac address each (I guess Family Pack upgrade would be the easiest thing for you?), then we have a calendar each and just subscribe to one anothers calendars (which will be even better with MobileMe, as the updates will push, rather than having to wait for/remember to refresh.

Having two accounts with an iTunes each is what we do - we copy over a lot of content between the two, but in total probably only have about 20 gig or so in iTunes, but you could just leave it all in yours. Apple Store stuff works fine from either, as the computer is authorised, rather than the account. So, yes, both phones can play it.

Contacts, we have different ones (couldn't be bothered with setting up directory), but mail over new ones, or if they're a long way out do an export/import each way (takes about five minutes).

So, depending on disk space you could just create a new account and copy everything over (Applications should be shared anyway).

If not, you could always move your Pictures and Movies directory contents into /Users/Shared and tell both copies of iTunes to use that?

Hope that helps,

Martin.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'll be watching this thread - I have a similar situation. I own neither an iphone nor a mac, but the doctor I work for owns both. He plans on purchasing a new iphone, and passing his current one to his wife. Also - only 1 .mac account.

My questions are essentially the same as that in the first post. Should I create another account on the macbook? I REALLY want to make things as simple as possible. The good doctor is only slightly more tech savvy than his sweet wife, and I am their first line of support when anything with lights and buttons hiccups. My background and experience with PC's spans almost 20 years and is very broad, but my experience with macs is VERY narrow. So, please bear with me - use short sentences and simple words.

Hal
  • Reply 4 of 4
    poppetpoppet Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElvisFrisbee View Post

I'll be watching this thread - I have a similar situation. I own neither an iphone nor a mac, but the doctor I work for owns both. He plans on purchasing a new iphone, and passing his current one to his wife. Also - only 1 .mac account.

My questions are essentially the same as that in the first post. Should I create another account on the macbook? I REALLY want to make things as simple as possible. The good doctor is only slightly more tech savvy than his sweet wife, and I am their first line of support when anything with lights and buttons hiccups. My background and experience with PC's spans almost 20 years and is very broad, but my experience with macs is VERY narrow. So, please bear with me - use short sentences and simple words.

Hal

These threads might help you understand how it all stands at the moment. If you are looking to sync 2 iphones to one calendar the best way is to use one mobileme individual account at the moment. Do remember only the primary account holder gets "push" email but both phones can have push contacts, bookmarks, calendars etc. To be honest we haven't found my husband having fetch mail (I have the master account hence he only has fetch) to be a problem at all. I have found it useful just using one mobileme account on all devices (macbook, phones and using mobileme throught he web) as this means that we can share everything without switching screen names the whole time. I haven't had to link itunes libraries. Contacts push up to the cloud and to all phones so if hubby dials a number I get him to throw me the business card and stick it in straight away. He has access to all the numbers that I need for the kids, the doctors. It's great. I can say look at your phone or log on to the web to see it. If you have two different mobileme accounts and two different user accounts on the different macs I think it will start to become too confusing for those that want a simple set up. I hope these links help:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....788727#7788727

http://fatlabmusic.com/blog/2008/07/...-family-packs/