Apple's MobileMe push service now live

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple early Thursday morning switched on MobileMe, its new Internet service that delivers push email, push contacts and push calendars from the MobileMe service in the "cloud" to native applications on iPhone, iPod touch, Macs and PCs.

MobileMe completely replaces Apple's previous-generation .Mac service, as such, all existing .Mac subscribers will find under their Software Update a MobileMe Updater application that will changes all ".Mac" references in existing software to "MobileMe" or ".me.com" references.

"The Mac OS X Update For MobileMe is recommended for users running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 and includes general system fixes that enhance your Mac for MobileMe," the company said.

Additional information on MobileMe is available at Apple's MobileMe website or via AppleInsider's MobileMe topics page.

Some screenshots of MobileMe and a complete rundown of its features were previously published.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah I noticed, you were quick on the draw this time AI, I'll get you next time!!
  • Reply 2 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's not up fully yet though, it's down again.
  • Reply 3 of 146
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    It still doesn't seem to be up.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    nortonnorton Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah I noticed, you were quick on the draw this time AI, I'll get you next time!!

The site is down. Lovely Launch.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    oweneckoweneck Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norton View Post

The site is down. Lovely Launch.

Not really, it's been up and down since they started last thing last night. I imagine that they're doing it a couple of days early to make sure that any unforeseen problems or bugs are all worked out first so this is all really a good thing, I would imagine that this a really big task to do and not a simple switch over.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I've been checking about every 20-30 minutes since 6 AM this morning and have yet to see anything but the "down for maintenance" page.

• Reply 7 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

Not really, it's been up and down since they started last thing last night. I imagine that they're doing it a couple of days early to make sure that any unforeseen problems or bugs are all worked out first so this is all really a good thing, I would imagine that this a really big task to do and not a simple switch over.

"really a good thing" ?!?! Are you nuts! Sure, maybe if they had left the .Mac site operational while they brought up MobileMe it would be a good thing. But they didn't. I now have NO access to anything.

For a paid service, this is horrible! No warnings or advanced notice to paying customers of the planned interuption to service, and now it appears that they've totally botched the transition!
  • Reply 8 of 146
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    This is a huge thing for Apple to pull off. I am not a bit surprised that it is taking a while to get this going. We are all going to be very fortunate to have this when it does get straightened out.

Please write on the chalkboard ten thousand times "thank you for me.com Apple, thank you Apple, thank you Apple etc..."
  • Reply 9 of 146
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"really a good thing" ?!?! Are you nuts! Sure, maybe if they had left the .Mac site operational while they brought up MobileMe it would be a good thing. But they didn't. I now have NO access to anything.

For a paid service, this is horrible! No warnings or advanced notice to paying customers of the planned interuption to service, and now it appears that they've totally botched the transition!

There have been "warnings and advanced notice" on the main .mac page for over three weeks now.. There were also several emails sent out to all .mac subscribers explaining this.

It clearly said how to prepare for mobile me and that service would be interrupted while the service was going live..
  • Reply 10 of 146
    Quote:

Yup, I see that it sucks hard for the moment and fortunately will be great hopefully sometime soon. My friend just called to tell me he had sent his mortgage broker and ultimatum email yesterday that he would find another mortgage company if his loan wasn't squared away by this morning (it's taken waaaay too long) and now he can't get his emails!!!
  • Reply 11 of 146
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Email is still available through a mail app, there's just no web access right now.
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Ah, very good to know
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Yep. I'm using Mail right now without any problems.

Any document of such importance should always be kept on one's computer, anyway, and backed up to an external HD as well, because the Net can go down from time to time.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

There have been "warnings and advanced notice" on the main .mac page for over three weeks now.. There were also several emails sent out to all .mac subscribers explaining this.

It clearly said how to prepare for mobile me and that service would be interrupted while the service was going live..

Emails were NOT sent to all .Mac subscribers. I never recieved one, and on another message board several other people also said they never received those emails.

Yes, I got the emails announcing MobileMe, but NO emails warning of ANY of the planned interuptions to service that they've had the last few weeks. I would not have known about the "big switch" last night if not for reading this message board.

Edit: Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I work at a company where we roll out major service upgrades all the time. While this is undoubtly a complex thing for Apple to accomplish, communication to your customers is key; and on that count Apple has totally dropped the ball. Plus I'm a bit peeved that Apple's forced upgrade is going to make my .Mac/MobileMe account useless on the computer I most need it on because I can't upgrade the browser (unless they maintain some limited capability on older browsers).
  • Reply 15 of 146
    mobileme just came back up...

haven't received Apple's email notification, yet, though...

edit:

slow. slow. slow
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Down again.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Emails were NOT sent to all .Mac subscribers. I never recieved one, and on another message board several other people also said they never received those emails.

Yes, I got the emails announcing MobileMe, but NO emails warning of ANY of the planned interuptions to service that they've had the last few weeks. I would not have known about the "big switch" last night if not for reading this message board.

Copied from my email. Clicking on the links to the .mac homepage explained that service would be temporarily interrupted during the transition starting at 8pm pst on July 10, 2008. Sorry if you missed it, but it was there.

"Dear .Mac member:

As you may know, your .Mac subscription is being upgraded to MobileMe, Apple's new Internet service for your Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, and PC. This includes a new way to manage bookmarks across your computers and even push them over the air to your iPhone and iPod touch.

As part of the transition to MobileMe, web access to your .Mac Bookmarks will end in July 2008 and you will no longer be able to access or update your bookmarks at mac.com. Mac-to-Mac sync will not be affected.

To avoid losing bookmarks saved on .Mac, please sync them with your Mac before June 30. This will ensure that MobileMe can keep your bookmarks in sync going forward. Here's how.

For more information on the transition, please visit the MobileMe FAQ.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

The .Mac Team"

• Reply 18 of 146
    The little MobileMe updater doesn't show up for me on either of my 2 Macs, and I don't see it on the download page.

Anyone know the deal? Or are I just stupid?
  • Reply 19 of 146
    Mobileme is offline still... Apple's main pages are beginning to respond faster than they were until just a few minutes ago, so something seems to be getting sorted out.

They probably have thousands of people trying to get the jump on lots of apps and goodies today..
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joblowski View Post

The little MobileMe updater doesn't show up for me on either of my 2 Macs, and I don't see it on the download page.

Anyone know the deal? Or are I just stupid?

Not showing up for me either. I wonder if they took down the updates for some reason (large demand, problem, etc.)?