Apple's App Store launches with more than 500 apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I downloaded iTunes 7.7, I went to the iTunes Store and there's no category for it. There's nothing on the page even referencing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I don't think there is, you have to go to the iTunes store first and then there's now a category for it but when you download an application and Applications item will show in the list within the iTunes software after that.

• Reply 22 of 41
    oweneckoweneck Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I downloaded iTunes 7.7, I went to the iTunes Store and there's no category for it. There's nothing on the page even referencing it.

I am not sure, for me it shows up as the "App Store" as a link and is referenced as being under Applications everywhere else but then this is also under the UK Apple iTunes store so maybe there's a problem with the US one right now?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    I have not got my iPhone yet (live in Australia) But am in line and pre-booked so should be ok. I noticed that there were no Chess games or Backgammon games. So I typed in Backgammon into the iTunes search and it came up but when I went to click on it, it told me the store was too busy. Still not happy I decided to click on Buy App and to my surprise it let me and now I got it.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yah!!! These developers have had MONTHS (3 or 4 perhaps) of time putting up with an EVER CHANGING SDK (lots and lots of changes) we should see perfection at its finest....

C'mon give the developers a bit of a break will ya?!?! 3 months from 'concept' to 'release' is unheard of! You will also see the more polished apps are those who already had reusable code in place from other platform/version of their app.

As far as I'm concerned this is quite an impressive showing considering they only allowed 4000 of the 25000 interested developers into the early access program. The rest of us had to be happy with testing our apps on a 'virtual device'...

SO APPLE LET THE REST OF US INTO THE PROGRAM ALREADY!!!!!!!

Dave

I guess I'm less critical of the development of those available programs than the ideas underlying them. I'm certainly not capable of developing anything.

As a representative example, I don't feel like I need a shopping list application, let alone a choice of multiple shopping lists.

Obviously the games look strong, but again, just like with widgets, a lot of the apps I see available today just aren't compelling, either in development or underlying idea/use.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't see it either. The only download I received this morning was iTunes 7.7. I think I read somewhere that there are a couple more downloads I should have received. I must have checked too late and Apple pulled the other downloads
  • Reply 26 of 41
    simacsimac Posts: 6member
    I managed to download a couple of Apps only available in the US Store - by creating a US Apple store account.

I don't know whether I will be able to load these onto my iPhone 3G (when I get one), but we'll see.

They were all free apps, as I couldn't enter payment information!
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The only way I got to the AppStore was via the FAQ link posted by AppleInsider.

I just selected one level up and it loaded the App store for me.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Apps Store Link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...&id=25204&mt=8

cool, that worked. I was just using my iPhone 2.0 software to browse the store.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only way I got to the AppStore was via the FAQ link posted by AppleInsider.

I just selected one level up and it loaded the App store for me.

I guess they are waiting until tomorrow to get it through the store directly?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

cool, that worked. I was just using my iPhone 2.0 software to browse the store.

You don't have to save the link, You need to add the Applications to your sidebar from Preferences, and then you access the link in the lower right corner when in the local Application section.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't have to save the link, You need to add the Applications to your sidebar from Preferences, and then you access the link in the lower right corner when in the local Application section.

I wish I could give you a hug
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I wish I could give you a hug

Cash works just as well.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac? If not that's dumb. What if I want to browse at work or home just to see what they have? I don't want to be forced to look at a small screen to browse apps.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac? If not that's dumb. What if I want to browse at work or home just to see what they have? I don't want to be forced to look at a small screen to browse apps.

yes, its part of iTunes.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac?

Of course you can. The main article for this thread has a pic of the App Store in iTunes and users have posted info as to how to access the App Store in iTunes.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    screthscreth Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyeworks View Post

Anyone know if I can purchase one app through the store and install on both my iPhones?

I'm also trying to find an answer to this. I would go broke if I had to pay for each app twice, once for me and once for my fiancees iphone. Does anybody know how this works?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screth View Post

I'm also trying to find an answer to this. I would go broke if I had to pay for each app twice, once for me and once for my fiancees iphone. Does anybody know how this works?

I thought FairPlay was done differently for software, not allowing you to sync it to more than one device at a time under your account, but I can't find any info to back that up. Neither the reports on Apple's support site or the articles about the original iPod Games say you can't.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I know this is off topic but I think it might be a good idea if Apple had an app store for computer shareware software. I'm not comfortable buying software from a company I've never heard of...
  • Reply 40 of 41
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my corp firewall won't let me download itunes or view apps store, can you tell me if there are

voice dialing apps

gps

thanks

Yes, there is a free voice dialer.... SpeechCloud

http://www.speechcloud.com/site/home.html

Might try it over the weekend.