How do Apple stores in non-3G areas justify purchase?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I live in Southern California so there aren't any 3G problems for me, but my parents live in West Des Moines, Iowa. Iowa is one of several states that doesn't have any 3G whatsoever. My parents also happen to live near the only Apple store in the entire state. I was wondering what management at apple retail has to be telling their employess in regards to 3G in these states.

I can see it now.

Apple employee: I see your looking at the new iPhone 3G, any questions?

My Mother: I see its cheaper, thats good, what does the 3G mean?

Apple employee: 3G is AT&T's 3rd generation wireless network delivering speeds close to that of wi-fi. It's faster than AT&T's slower EDGE network that the first iPhone ran on.

My Mother: Oh thats great! Isn't that around $20 extra on top of a voice plan?

Apple employee: Actually it's $30 now.

My Mother: Oh, well I guess if it's faster then it's worth it....

Apple employee: ....But there actually isn't any 3G coverage in Iowa Ma'am.

My Mother: Oh......(walks to macy's)

Apple employee:.....Wait! It has GPS, and it comes in black and white!!....and it's $199 if you're eligible!

I for one am picking one up but I feel bad for all those people that have to pay for 3G when they're not even in an area that has it. If these people are smart they should get the old phone.

How do you guys think apple will try and sell the iPhone 3G in these states?
  • Price?

GPS?

2.0 software?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Hmm good point. Never thought about that...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    They could tell them that even if they don't have 3G now, they (may) get it (at some point) in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The new phone will still work on Edge if 3G is not available! ... and i don't think Apple or ATT really have to do much of a "hard sell" with the iPhone ... the media (Apple's PR dept??) has hyped it enough that people have already decided they want it.

And there gonna say that it's now $30 instead of $20 (for unlimited data), but the phone is only $299 instead of $499.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mister_volcom88 View Post

I live in Southern California so there aren't any 3G problems for me, but my parents live in West Des Moines, Iowa. Iowa is one of several states that don't have any 3G whatsoever. My parents also happen to live near the only Apple store in the entire state. I was wondering what management at apple retail has to be telling their employess in regards to 3G in these states.

I can see it now.

Apple employee: 3G is AT&T's 3rd generation wireless network delivering speeds close to that of wi-fi. It's faster than AT&T's slower EDGE network that the first iPhone ran on.

Apple employee:.....Wait! It has GPS, and it comes in black and white!!....and it's $199 if you're eligible!

I for one am picking one up but I feel bad for all those people that have to pay for 3G when they're not even in an area that has it. If these people are smart they should get the old phone.

• Price?

GPS?

2.0 software?

It's only an issue for those that own a 2.5G model in those areas. They likely won't upgrade. Otherwise, it's a better and cheaper phone (sort of on the last one). Selling it won't be a problem.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

I live in Southern California so there aren't any 3G problems for me, but my parents live in West Des Moines, Iowa. Iowa is one of several states that don't have any 3G whatsoever. My parents also happen to live near the only Apple store in the entire state. I was wondering what management at apple retail has to be telling their employess in regards to 3G in these states.

I can see it now.

• Price?

GPS?

2.0 software?

Why should they need to justify it? You need to justify it.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I can see it now.

• Price?

GPS?

2.0 software?

I live in an area that doesn't have 3g coverage and I hope to get an iPhone tomorrow.

I travel a fair amount and most areas I visit do have 3g coverage. Instead of paying $20 a month to Boingo so I can browse the net while waiting at an airport I'll just use my iPhone on the 3g network. Most airports are in major cities that have 3g networks in place. Sure I may fly through an airport that doesn't have 3g coverage but most will. I wouldn't want to be Boingo. The iPhone is gonna hurt their business, especially when Apple allow pc tethering.

I see this phone lasting me until 4g is rolled out and that won't be until 2010 at the earliest. I think this phone should hold me till then. In fact I'll probable keep it until the 4g network is up in the rural area I live in, so I think I'll probably have this phone for 3-4 years. The difference between edge and 3g is pretty significant. Who knows how much better 4g will be over 3g? I may keep it even longer.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I haven't had a cell phone in years but I'm finally biting the bullet tomorrow and getting an iPhone. I got pre-approved after doing a credit check at an AT&T store and I'm very excited about having a phone that is a handheld computer.

Finally, a device worthy of replacing the Newton. It doesn't hurt that I can be online wherever there is cell coverage and I've already downloaded a variety of applications so I'm all set when I bring the iPhone home tomorrow. Plus, Jared is on the iPhone (it was on the Newton as well).

New Hampshire does not have any 3G coverage but that isn't stopping me from getting the new iPhone. I don't think that 3G coverage will be rolled out in the area any time soon either. But despite that, I do go to places in Massachusetts that have 3G coverage and that is good enough for me right now. Eventually, I do hope that the 3G network extends in to Southern New Hampshire but I also believe that buying 3G devices can only encourage cell companies to upgrade their networks.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Why should they need to justify it? You need to justify it.

Huh? They need to justify it because AT&T is charging $10 more for a service (3G) that many customers will rarely if ever get to take advantage of

did you miss my point?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

They tell them it's half the price.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

They tell them it's half the price.

That's what I'm thinking, but still charging $30 for data as opposed to $20 is odd for a person in a non-3G area.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    GPS, price, sexiness.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    ATT's sales agents will lie about 3G.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

ATT's sales agents will lie about 3G.

yea, or say its coming really really soon.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Huh? They need to justify it because AT&T is charging $10 more for a service (3G) that many customers will rarely if ever get to take advantage of

did you miss my point?

No I didn't miss your point I just don't think Apple needs to justify it. You said yourself that people should buy a 2.5G, therefore, it's they who need to justify the added cost of a 3G versus going out and finding a 2.5G. Plus, I've never left an Apple store thinking that the sales person just sold me something. I always find the sales people as more of bank of information to help me understand what I'm buying rather than understanding what they're trying to sell me. But that's just me.

I don't know how much control Apple has over setting AT&T's monthly plan pricing. Clearly they have some influence as proven by Rodgers in Canada.

Additionally, if AT&T sold the 3G at 2.5G pricing what happens when the person moves into an area, travels through an area, or the area they're in gets 3G? Is AT&T supposed to increase their monthly bill by $10 automatically? Imagine the PR nightmare if they actually did that