pda's and mac os x

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi,

i am an utter newbie when it comes to mac's

i am quite impressed with the new slew of mac's though and mac os x as well

anyways i am planning on buying a new pda quite soon as well as making the switch to a powerbook sometime this year

so do most pda's sync with mac os x?

especially the ipaq 3870?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    I use a Palm Vx and am using the new Palm Desktop for OSX. It works very well (and it's only a beta program). I don't know about an Windoze based PDA but i have used the Palm for many years, my company has also taken to issuing them out to our regional feild members. I have heard in some forums that the Sony Clie might not be working with the OSX desktop (third hand info, check some of the Palm forums). But the new one that Sony has will be my next upgrade (it is way past any other PDA out there), after it is made compatible with the new desktop. My Palm has always served me well and I would have to be in a highly medicated condition to switch to a Windoze machine.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    The Pocket PC machines don't work with Macs at all out of the box. You either have to have Virtual PC or a program called Pocket Mac to sync them. I can't speak to the Pocket Mac solution as I've never tried it and the VPC situation doesn't appear too good since VPC 5 runs like molasses in winter on most Macs. You might want to try to find out about the Pocket Mac solution and see if it'll run in OS X...

ok, just checked <a href="http://www.pocketmac.net/"; target="_blank">http://www.pocketmac.net/</a>; and saw that they do support OS X. So there's a good option for you... and don't let the availability of Pocket PC solutions hinder you from making the switch.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    yeah just found that link in a detailed review about pda's in the german c't mag

anyways I will first have the money for the pda and it will be a bit before I can get a powerbook

the good thing about OS X .. the longer you wait the more of the little quirks will be taken care of :-)

anyways it seems that the only good PDA currently are Palm OS based ones (exclusing the Sony PDA's)

there is software for the psion but its even more expensive than pocketmac (about $75)

thx for the replys .. god make my company succeed so that i can soon buy a powerbook (and lets make it a G5/DDR-RAM based one)
  • Reply 4 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by DybVandal:

<strong>

the good thing about OS X .. the longer you wait the more of the little quirks will be taken care of :-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

That hasn't been my experience. I think the longer you wait the less likely your pet "issue" will be dealt with. If I were you I'd stick with the PeeCee. OS X is unfinished at best and Apple is dropping support for systems that used to be "supported". My next machine wont be a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]My next machine wont be a Mac. <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for sharing. We all care.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Thanks for sharing. We all care. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope your Newton take a bad fall
  • Reply 7 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

I hope your Newton take a bad fall </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, no hitting below the belt
  • Reply 8 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Apple abandoned support for the Newton, but that doesn't mean I'm running for the other platform.

Plus, Apple dropped support for the Newton with no warning. It was still being sold when support was dropped. I still didn't go and join the Wintel legions.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Apple abandoned support for the Newton, but that doesn't mean I'm running for the other platform.

Plus, Apple dropped support for the Newton with no warning. It was still being sold when support was dropped. I still didn't go and join the Wintel legions. </strong><hr></blockquote>

History repeats.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    First of all Scott, you have started talking out of your ass all of a sudden, I generally have respect for what you say, but right now, this thread, give me a break, Apple could care less if you sit on this board and claim this or that. You telling us that you are pissed at them and buying something else next time for a reason? Cause, like Fran I support Newton not because I do or do not support Apple's PDA moves but because it is the best PDA I can find for my needs, you want to buy a PC because you are mad at Apple or because you like Windows?

Fact is I think you like Apple and Macintosh, and you dislike MS and Windows, but you are pissed about somethings.

That is fair. And I have a feeling I would agree about the things that make you mad, but remember: babies and bath water.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    thentrothentro Posts: 231member
    future HW but....

<a href="http://www.spymac.com"; target="_blank">Spymac</a>
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>First of all Scott, you have started talking out of your ass all of a sudden</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have I? About what? I think I can back up what I say. As time marches on OS X's little "issue" linger and/or become "features" or get dropped? There's so much that has been AWOL for so long in OS X you have to wonder if Apple will ever get around to. I think they are hoping people will forget or be forgotten.

If you were honest about OS X you'd see that. But most people are so in love with their boy friend they can't get the words out.

The OS X roll out has be something between a disaster and a boring party. Apps have been way way late in coming. Hardware support is either forgotten or...well?....we don't know what the fsck is going on because of Apple's Iron Curtain policy. Software base station, video over USB, slow slow slow, (way to much to list). OS X is still 100% unusable for any real business.

So if someone asks me, ?Should I switch to Apple for OS X? I?d say NO! Any honest person would come to same conclusion. It?s not about what OS X could be but what it is now and is likely to be.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]so do most pda's sync with mac os x?

especially the ipaq 3870?
    <hr></blockquote>

Scott, see the above quote--that is the topic. If you're still angry about your OSX rage pro drivers find the appropriate topic and vent there or go to the Lounge.

Perhaps anger management classes are in your future?

From what I understand there is no WinCE sync in VPC. Connectix is "looking into" the issue, FWIW.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: cowerd ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

Scott, see the above quote--that is the topic. If you're still angry about your OSX rage pro drivers find the appropriate topic and vent there or go to the Lounge.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes but if you were following the tread, as I was, you'd see that the author came back and posted this. So I just had to reply and set the record straight.

[quote]the good thing about OS X .. the longer you wait the more of the little quirks will be taken care of :-)<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 15 of 19
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I am not sure did you just insinuate that I was gay because I like Mac OS X? I couldn't tell cause you didn't do a very good job but if that is the case, I don't have time for your petty attitude.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]Yes but if you were following the tread, as I was, you'd see that the author came back and posted this. So I just had to reply and set the record straight.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, otherwise known as the OT thread hijack. Enjoy your bitterness--its a bad way to start a new year.
  • Reply 17 of 19

<strong>

Yes, otherwise known as the OT thread hijack. Enjoy your bitterness--its a bad way to start a new year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Off topic? Are you ****ing kidding me? Rather it's that you don't like what I have to say in response to the authors comment. Had I said, "You're right, all the issue get worked out" you'd care less. Just as "off topic" but it fits the AI speech codes for only positive comments about OS X. Right?
  • Reply 18 of 19

<strong>

otherwise known as the OT thread hijack.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what I've seen, none of Scott's posts regarding the lack of OSX support for older Macs, have been posted in a thread where it had absolutley no relevance.

This would probably be off topic:

If I bought a computer from Apple, and they told me that their future OS would support it, and I bought it, partially based on the fact of future support, and then they decided to drop support, for that computer, I would first write them a letter which would make one of their "cease and desist" letters look like a get well card. I would then pay my $25 bucks and haul their asses into small claims court for compensation. After winning, I would then put that money towards a new Mac, because I wouldn't want conflict with the business end of Apple to ruin my computing experience.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    heh, ... what a little side note can do to a thread

anyways, since my original questions was already answered by a someone and i also confirmed this i am ok with this turn of events ... but the topic is misleading for other people .. so a new thread (if its worth it) would be better.

dunno if UBB features this but Moderators care for a split?

anyways yes OS X still has quirks that seem to glaring that it makes me believe these are quirks simply ugly hacks to get OS X out the door. The BeOS guru goes Mac OS X article lists a bunch of them. I do believe Apple will work them out. Apple simply needed something out the door and apps to be written for the platform.

OS X is final in alot of areas and working but a joke in some others. Unfortunatly those can be such a huge drawback to make the whole OS so inefficient to make you make people either stick with their old PC or their good old Mac OS.

My reason to make the switch would actually be hardware (do you guys here that often? i doubt it - well actually its ****ing hard to resist the beauty if a powerbook)related combined with a good faith that Apple will manage to fix OS X within 2002 to a level where all areas of the OS have been given atleast some basic level of love.

If Apple manages to "fix" OS X in 2002 they can be quite proud if themselves of having achieved what so many people have tried to achieve in the Unix platform. And by basing it all on the Unix Platform they have achieved what so many Windows Users have dreamed off as well.