Help! 2.0 Downloaded, phone bricked?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I just downloaded the 2.0 update via iTunes. It loaded on to my iPhone. But now my phone shows a "USB cable needs to connect to ITunes" graphic. When I go onto iTunes, the phone is recognized (though my name is not associated with the phone anymore) and then it tries to access the iTunes store, but fails. Initially I didn't get any error. Now I get a (-9838) unknown error.

Argh. My phone is bricked--I can only make an emergency call.

Any help/suggestions?

To clarify, my phone is an original 8 GB iPhone--not jailbroken, regular AT&T user..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sea2008 View Post

I just downloaded the 2.0 update via iTunes. It loaded on to my iPhone. But now my phone shows a "USB cable needs to connect to ITunes" graphic. When I go onto iTunes, the phone is recognized (though my name is not associated with the phone anymore) and then it tries to access the iTunes store, but fails. Initially I didn't get any error. Now I get a (-9838) unknown error.

Argh. My phone is bricked--I can only make an emergency call.

Any help/suggestions?

To clarify, my phone is an original 8 GB iPhone--not jailbroken, regular AT&T user..

The same exact thing is happening to me right now... Same error and everything. please help!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    This update is terrible. I cannot get my phone to update. Error 13. Error 6.

I have tried all sorts of restarts.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    It seems Apple's servers are overloaded. Perhaps they should have staggered the release of the software. I too have been bricked for over an hour. If you have a 1st gen. iPhone and are reading this- hold off on the 2.0 software update for a few days.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This is happening to a lot of people. It seems a last step in the process is to access the iTunes Store. But the store is being overwhelmed with requests and your phone cannot connect. It happened to me too.

I'm hoping things will get better in the next few hours and I'll just keep trying to disconnect and reconnect my phone, hoping it will eventually be able to connect to the iTunes store.

Very frustrating.....
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Bricked here. Hope I don't miss any important calls...
  • Reply 6 of 38
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I upgraded successfully last night and it took a good 10 minutes for the activation to complete. If it takes 10 minutes for each phone... you can see why the servers are overwhelmed with the millions of customers trying to upgrade.

Be patient and hopefully in the next few days you'll be able to activate.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Hi, longtime reader new poster

Per the Apple discussion boards this is a server problem on Apple's end. Too many people downloading all at once crashed them, and those in the middle like me were unable to complete activation.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    mhedgesmhedges Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by campfam View Post

Bricked here. Hope I don't miss any important calls...

I'm bricked also. Is it worthwhile to keep trying? Anyone getting through?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

WTF ?!?! So are we going to be reimbursed by ATT for the "few days" that we are unable to use our phones???? There was NO indication in the upgrade process that it might take "a few days" to complete. Previous upgrades have been a few minutes, there was no reason to suspect this would be any different.

Over two hours now ... still waiting for iTunes to "Activate" the phone.... tried calling Apple service but you get to a message that says "There is NO ONE available to take your call... please try again later." I realize they are swamped, but it would seem they have Microsoft handling this 2.0 upgrade for them!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Instead of disconnecting it several times, I did this:

Click on the actual itunes store, then click on your iphone icon in itunes. Do this repeatedly and eventually the error message will not appear and it will finish your install. I did this about 5 times and then WALAH! Took 2 minutes to complete the update and my phone is now working.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Click on the actual itunes store, then click on your iphone icon in itunes. Do this repeatedly and eventually the error message will not appear and it will finish your install. I did this about 5 times and then WALAH! Took 2 minutes to complete the update and my phone is now working.

Was this recently, as in the last few minutes.. or very early this morning or last night?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Brilliant! That worked, although it took me more than one try clicking between iTS and iPhone icon.

Unclear whether there was an actual server crash or just a slowdown, but who thinks Apple planned this to hype the popularity of the 2.0 upgrade/3G iPhone!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

Brilliant! That worked, although it took me more than one try clicking between iTS and iPhone icon.

Unclear whether there was an actual server crash or just a slowdown, but who thinks Apple planned this to hype the popularity of the 2.0 upgrade/3G iPhone!

I just got mine working also. Took me 30 minutes
  • Reply 14 of 38
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

WTF ?!?! So are we going to be reimbursed by ATT for the "few days" that we are unable to use our phones???? There was NO indication in the upgrade process that it might take "a few days" to complete. Previous upgrades have been a few minutes, there was no reason to suspect this would be any different.

Over two hours now ... still waiting for iTunes to "Activate" the phone.... tried calling Apple service but you get to a message that says "There is NO ONE available to take your call... please try again later." I realize they are swamped, but it would seem they have Microsoft handling this 2.0 upgrade for them!

I say "few days" because when the first iPhone was released the exact same thing happened the very first day it was released. There were some people who couldn't activate for 2 days.

You look at the millions of iPhones that are already out there and the millions of phones that are being purchased new and you've doubled the amount of iPhones trying to register from last year.

I agree, I don't know how Apple didn't phase in .Me over a period of weeks. I especially don't know why iPhone 2.0 upgrades require you to reactivate your iPhone 2.5G???
  • Reply 15 of 38
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Uh, you know, I pay for my cell service and I rely on my cell phone. While I understand outages of a couple of hours, if it is out for 24h+ (next few days), I'll terminate my contract and won't pay a fee.

Mine is bricked right now after the 2.0 "upgrade" because of Apple's ineptitude. Sucks BIG time.

I really like Apple products but that they can't get a system robust enough to handle up to 10 million requests an hour or so is very weak of them. I mean, how many bytes do they have to transfer to activate each phone??? It wasn't a problem to fetch the 200MB+ of the upgrade. I doubt that activating requires that much data transfer or processing power (why is that even necessary? - my phone was activated for almost a year already - stupid, annoying hurdle).

[QUOTE=bbwi;1276783]I say "few days" because when the first iPhone was released the exact same thing happened the very first day it was released. There were some people who couldn't activate for 2 days.

QUOTE]

Well, a year later Apple should be able to get their system to handle that load. It is 2008, not 1990 where server problems could maybe be forgiven.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

U

I really like Apple products but that they can't get a system robust enough to handle up to 10 million requests an hour or so is very weak of them. I mean, how many bytes do they have to transfer to activate each phone??? It wasn't a problem to fetch the 200MB+ of the upgrade. I doubt that activating requires that much data transfer or processing power (why is that even necessary? - my phone was activated for almost a year already - stupid, annoying hurdle).

Well, a year later Apple should be able to get their system to handle that load. It is 2008, not 1990 where server problems could maybe be forgiven.

It's not Apple first off it's AT&T proof. Also that would be 10 million requests if you only tried 1 time, if you try multiple times in minutes the requests grow exponentially. I have 3 iPhones here at the office and all three had the same problem as this, however with a little patience and not trying it repeatedly, I'd wait 5 minutes or so before trying, it wasn't too long before I had all 3 working. Apple only has so much control & servers can only handle so much load (Google went down not to long ago didn't it).
  • Reply 17 of 38
    when you did this back and forth business did you wait until the error message came up before you clicked back on the itunes store link? or did you just keep clicking back and forth over and over again?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

It's not Apple first off it's AT&T

you're absolutely right, I should have recognized this because iTunes actually downloaded the 2.0 update without a problem at 8:05AM CST, but it was the activation portion where there was a problem. Figures ATT would be the one to f things up.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathansmart View Post

when you did this back and forth business did you wait until the error message came up before you clicked back on the itunes store link? or did you just keep clicking back and forth over and over again?

I did both. Not sure which worked.... but after the phone became "Un Bricked", iTunes wants to connect the the Music Store again, and this failed. Now my phone is working but when I try to sync the phone, I get a blank white screen in iTunes which has the greyed out word iPhone where the sync, upgrade buttons normally are. It tells me that it is trying to connect to the Music Store.

Anyone else get this error?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhedges View Post

I did both. Not sure which worked.... but after the phone became "Un Bricked", iTunes wants to connect the the Music Store again, and this failed. Now my phone is working but when I try to sync the phone, I get a blank white screen in iTunes which has the greyed out word iPhone where the sync, upgrade buttons normally are. It tells me that it is trying to connect to the Music Store.

Anyone else get this error?

Yea, same here. I first noticed this because the Apps I downloaded from the App Store last night were not synced on my iPhone, guess that's the reason.