App Store: Apps reviews

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Now that the apps are in our hands, let's review the ones we download to help our fellow iPhoners.

Band

Amazing little app. Quite entertaining. Will try putting a jingle together with the wife tomorrow (she's a musician).

Squiggles

OK, but I would wait for something better to come along, or this app to be improved. Has it's good points, but sorely misses layers and erasing.

Edit: now maybe usurped by Zeptopad... see below

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    no voice dialing

no navigation, text to speech

not much to review
  • Reply 2 of 47
    In the App Store (the topic), there are hundreds of apps to review.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the apps store is great but i need to get at least voice dialing before i can buy then get other apps, that's the thing i would really like, ok so it might be petty to others but i would like a way for my wife and i to voice dial without having to fumble for the phone and have to handle it to make a call. be patient with me.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I'm finding Super Monkey Ball frustratingly difficult. As in I can't get past the 7th level

The inertia on those monkey balls is just insane - I fell like I'm completely unable to control how they move. It's a shame because I really loved Super Monkey Ball on the GameCube, but this just makes me want to tear my hair out.

Playing with Band is lots of fun though.

NetNewsWire is good, but two things I would like is to be able to view all feeds at once and to mark all feeds read at once. Jumping in and out of feeds feels a little awkward. I do like that there is an integrated browser so you don't have to go to Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

the apps store is great but i need to get at least voice dialing before i can buy then get other apps, that's the thing i would really like, ok so it might be petty to others but i would like a way for my wife and i to voice dial without having to fumble for the phone and have to handle it to make a call. be patient with me.

I think I linked to a voice dialing program in another thread... I will download it today and give it a try, so check back tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Zeptopad looks awesome; just bought it and will try it tomorrow.

Cut, paste, etc.

Nice video intro, too:

http://zeptopad.com/

-----

Big Bang Sudoku

Eats battery power, but is lots of fun. Removed it from my iPhone an installed on my Touch. Great fun.

-----

Weatherbug

Only has English (aka, American) units, so it is worthless for anyone in a metric society (most of the world). Also only gets the airport but no the local weather for me; the airport is in the mountains about an hour away... a different world.

Also seems to eat battery power checking for updates and listed the same alert twice despite no alert being issued officially (for potential coastal flooding, but I live on the coast and there was no warning).

Removed it.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Zeptopad looks awesome; just bought it and will try it tomorrow.

Cut, paste, etc.

Nice video intro, too:

http://zeptopad.com/

Thanks for the link, no iPhone for me yet, waiting for the craziness to die down and bugs to get worked out, but that looks like the first App I'd consider parting cash for, looking forward to a review, great thread idea BTW!!
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Zeptopad

Wow. Not perfect, but very nice. Drew a sketch, imported a photo, added notes, exported photo, imported to iPhoto, printed and it looks great. Very, very useful app that has a future. Needs a few little improvements (and a user manual online would help), but all in all, a great app. Shows the power of the iPhone. Really looking forward to what this guy does with this app.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Overall, Zeptopad is awesome, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete entries. The first launch I did have a delete mark appear, but not since. Hmm... Maybe version 1.1. Can always remove and reinstall the app to erase it...

I was hoping for lots of reviews to be posted here... \
  • Reply 10 of 47
    ZeptoPad

An absolutely awesome application. Figured out how to delete things. To delete entries, go to the directory and slide your finger over one of the files to the right and a delete button will appear.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Has anybody played with any other apps and would like to share their thoughts on them?

There is a very strange silence...
  • Reply 12 of 47
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Has anybody played with any other apps and would like to share their thoughts on them?

There is a very strange silence...

I've only used free apps so far.

The Apple Remote is fantastic and I'm hoping the next version will support podcast favorites selected on an appleTV. Currently the Remote only sees the content which is in iTunes, although it will show a "live" streaming podcast on the "Now Playing" screen.

Pandora rocks. It's too bad that I can only access Edge at work, where the connection skips. But still very usable over Edge.

Box Office. Downloaded and looked through it but haven't used it much yet. Looks like it has nice integration with Rotten Tomatoes.

Shazam. Nice little app. Good for conversation in bars. Has correctly guessed each song so far.

Still checking out Yelp and Where. Where has a nice integration with zip car.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I bought Trism.

It's fun. It's a triangle tile matching game. It removes matched tiles and uses the orientation of phone to gravity to know which way to let the tiles fall to fill in empty spaces. I find myself rotating the phone all around while it's matching and removing tiles in a long run.

Eats battery. iPhone + Games = Dead Battery!
  • Reply 14 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

no voice dialing

no navigation, text to speech

not much to review

Voice Dialing?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Eats battery. iPhone + Games = Dead Battery!

That's expected.

As 3G phones go it's about the best out there for battery-life, which is an amazing feat considering the size of the display it needs to power.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Voice Dialing?

It doesn't dial the contact. What's the point?
  • Reply 17 of 47
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    So I have a few apps:

Near Pics - alright, but I deleted it when I bought Vicinity, which is very good (assuming the phone can find its location)

Facebook - excellent app, if you're into facebook. Very Apple style and looks like it came with the phone

Remote - nice, really nice would be if it worked for Front Row instead of iTunes.

PhoneSaber - sweet, but quiet

FileMagnet - seems like a good idea, but the viewer isn't so good, and it's a faff

Omnituner - works OK

Air Hockey - this is sweet, but the playing area is tiny

4-in-a-row - wireless play or taking turns. The kids love it.

Monkeyball - yes, hard. Kind of a demo really, for me anyway

MotoRacer - gorgeous graphics, fast, playable - not much to it, but looks fantastic.

CroMag Rally - Much like Mario Kart, etc. it's OK.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I'm using Twitterrific (mobile twitter).

It's nice. I like it better than the web site. Annoying ads placed in the tweets.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

It doesn't dial the contact. What's the point?

Please explain me, and stuff.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I found the Mobile Banking free App to be typical B of A crappola.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that US Bank has a very nice mobile banking link for Smartphones that works well with Safari on the iPhone.

Check it out if you bank with them....

http://m.usbank.com