Help! 2.0 Downloaded, phone bricked?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    mhedgesmhedges Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

Yea, same here. I first noticed this because the Apps I downloaded from the App Store last night were not synced on my iPhone, guess that's the reason.

That's the same issue I have. I can drag and drop music onto the iPhone but I can not find any way to sync the Applications. For that I am going to the AppStore on the iPhone iteslf but it's slow going at 2.5G speeds.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple really fucked this up.

There is a huge crush on there servers that they could have alleviated by releasing the iPhone 2.0 software a few days BEFORE the release of the 3g iphone. Current iphone owners could have gotten this download out of the way and be all set up. Then Apple could focus their attention on selling and setting up 3g iPhone buyers.

I was going to go to an ATT store today and try to pick up an iPhone but now I'm not so sure.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    I'm having the same problem, getting this error:

We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-4)
  • Reply 24 of 38
    gedboygedboy Posts: 9member
    From Glasgow, Scotland...

Why do I need a second approval to use my original iPhone? The software can only be used on one device from one company and I was checked out the day I bought my iPhone.

This day is seriously starting to annoy me.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I was reading the interwebs before applying the update to my Edge-equipped iPhone but the news of the activation issues hadn't spread yet. Now I'm kicking myself for not installing the unofficial firmware late last night.

Need my phone working today. Grrr...
  • Reply 26 of 38
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

Uh, you know, I pay for my cell service and I rely on my cell phone. While I understand outages of a couple of hours, if it is out for 24h+ (next few days), I'll terminate my contract and won't pay a fee.

Mine is bricked right now after the 2.0 "upgrade" because of Apple's ineptitude. Sucks BIG time.

I really like Apple products but that they can't get a system robust enough to handle up to 10 million requests an hour or so is very weak of them. I mean, how many bytes do they have to transfer to activate each phone??? It wasn't a problem to fetch the 200MB+ of the upgrade. I doubt that activating requires that much data transfer or processing power (why is that even necessary? - my phone was activated for almost a year already - stupid, annoying

Well, a year later Apple should be able to get their system to handle that load. It is 2008, not 1990 where server problems could maybe be forgiven.

So you're certain it's Apple's fault then?

Again, I agree that Apple should have phased in .Me and iPhone 2.0 but the more likely issue is that ATT is simply not able to keep up with world wide traffic. I didn't hear any problems New Zealand had yesterday activating their phones? Clearly this is an issue of capacity and ATT simply can't keep up.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    AT&T sure is blaming Apple.

CNN

Quote:

A spokesman for AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., said there was a global problem with Apple Inc.'s iTunes software that prevented the phones from being fully activated in-store, as had been planned.

And regardless of whose fault this is. It certainly LOOKS like it is Apple's fault. My phone keeps trying to connect to the iTunes Store (an Apple service) and is getting an error from iTunes (an Apple product). "There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

A normal user would not be blamed for thinking this was Apple's fault.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    After 8:30am PST I was able to click on "Check for updates" in iTunes, it downloaded and seemed to install just fine, but afterwards, it can't seem to connect to Apple to re-activate or re-register my iPhone. I've been clicking and clicking on my iPhone/iTunes Store, and I get the same "error". My iPhone is in Emergency Only mode and shows a picture requesting i connect the iPhone to my computer to interface with iTunes. Thanks Apple or AT&T, whoever's fault it is. I'll try again after lunch.

http://i38.tinypic.com/9apbev.jpg
  • Reply 29 of 38
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

AT&T sure is blaming Apple.

CNN

And regardless of whose fault this is. It certainly LOOKS like it is Apple's fault. My phone keeps trying to connect to the iTunes Store (an Apple service) and is getting an error from iTunes (an Apple product). "There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

A normal user would not be blamed for thinking this was Apple's fault.

There are numerous other carriers in other countries. Are those carriers having problems (not being a smart ass here but am asking a serious question)? New Zealand (Optus), Japan (SoftBank), Germany (T-Mobile), etc.

Any foreigners care to post their experience?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Activation just kicked in. I've been CRAZY persistent with it for the past 3 hours or so. Finally activated at 11:02 AM PST.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Personally I don't care who is at fault ... this service is utter bullsh#* - it amounts to little more than a breach of contract. I pay AT&T for service, and Apple is supposed to make a product that is reliable ... neither of these factors are coming into play right now. I could understand if there was an interruption in service due to some kind of natrual disaster or something, but the root cause of this problem is imcompitence ... I don't care if its Apple's or AT&T's fault. This is just ridiculous.

I operate a small business and I am highly mobile ... I need my phone to be able to do business, and for the last three hours I have been without a phone because I cannot reauthorize it after downloading the new 2.0 iPhone software. I can't just sit in front of a computer all day clicking on iTunes to get my phone working, and I am losing out on important business calls due to the "bricking" of my phone. All of which is beyond me as to why I need to RE authorize a 2.5G iPhone I bought almost a year ago ... who was the effing genius who thought up that one?

All I can say is if I really have to go 48 hours without cell phone service because of this problem I am going to file a breach of contract suit against Apple and AT&T, and include damages for loss in income due the "bricking" of my iPhone. Anyone in a similar situation is welcome to join and make it a class action suit ...
  • Reply 32 of 38
    welshwizwelshwiz Posts: 33member
    Mine worked fine but it took about 15 - 20 mins.

saw this earlier on, some advice from Apple

http://www.9to5mac.com/

hope it helps
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welshwiz View Post

Mine worked fine but it took about 15 - 20 mins.

saw this earlier on, some advice from Apple

http://www.9to5mac.com/

hope it helps

I think the key is "Wait an hour". My guess is that they're trying to spread the activations out to give the servers some breathing room.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    aupandaaupanda Posts: 2member
    "DO NOT disconnect your phone. Intead, when you get the message saying it timed out, click ok. Then click on any other heading, Music for example, in your itunes. Then go back and click on your iPhone icon.

Keep doing this repeatedly to keep your place in line."

From a forum on the Apple support site. This worked for me.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Do what AuPanda said. Just keep refreshing the connection somehow. I just got my phone activated after hours of it being unusable. So happy now. It's restoring my music and such now.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    FINALLY - I'm in. Just keep refreshing.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'm finally in too. Whew!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Ok, so, went through all that trouble with updating the 1st of our two iPhones and finally got it completed. However, when I sync'd the 2nd iPhone it syncs without problems, but it says that it has version 1.1.4 and that it is up to date. How do I get it update the 2nd iPhone to 2.0? Help!!!