Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Apple wanted to pull off a big global launch in a single day and it looks like they've failed.

stupid greedy Cupertino iDiots - left my iPhone dead.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Good luck syncing for the first time. It apparently tries to connect to the iTunes App Store *again* and just hangs. So even if you successfully activate, (hardware, not via MobileMe) syncing may be a prob for the time being.

I have an Edge iPhone I successfully updated to 2.0 this morning around 9am EST, and I still cannot sync.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    I upgraded my original iPhone this morning at about 9:30AM EST and everything was smooth including the reactivation. I'm sure things didn't go sour until the west coast started waking up. It's what happens when a server gets too many requests in a short time, not unexpected really. It is a bit lame that they didn't allow activations at home like with the original iPhone. I thought it said a lot about the AT&T/Apple venture to allow that. Plus, it would probably offer a slight amount of relief on the servers what with the variance in the drive home after people purchase and before they get home to activate.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    *Waiting until someone in the United States begins to yell "class action suit".*
  • Reply 25 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

Do newly bought ipod touches have 2.0 on it or 1.1.4

i was going to but my dad a ipod touch but i was waiting for 2.0 to come out

If you're going to wait for 2.0 you might as well wait for 2nd generation also, when iPods get updated- usually late Sept, early Oct. I am hoping for a better form factor like the new iPhone as well as a better deal on the flash drive size and lower price in comparison to what's there now.

I really can't say how they would handle updating the current stock as the window for the new model is relatively narrow.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Well, with their complete failure at rolling out MobileMe and this iPhone mess which is, for all intents and purposes, a repeat of what happened the first go around, it's probably a good thing Apple isn't trying to market itself as a provider of enterprise-class services. Best to stick to consumer products, where it doesn't matter when you occasionally fall on your face.

Yes, but has there been a similar rollout of mobile-related hardware software in 20+ countries simultaneously?

Apple should have staggered the rollout. MobileMe transition well in advance (at least a week), Firmware 2.0 (3-5 days advance), then the 3G rollout.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    If you buy apps on original iphone and then upgrade to a 3g later do you get to transfer those apps onto iphone 3g
  • Reply 28 of 63
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Well, when you sync an iPhone with your computer, any apps on the iPhone get pulled down on to the computer. So, when you sync an iPhone 3G for the first time, it should just sync all the apps onto the 3G. I don't know an iPhone, so, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Anywho, I'm waiting on the iPod touch 2.0 software. I've downloaded something that a user over at ehmac.ca posted a link to whose filename is "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip". I'm a little wary of it, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Can anybody confirm that that file works?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    Two sayings for consideration:

" The early bird catches the worm. "

" Good things happen to those who wait. "
  • Reply 30 of 63
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    My phone doesn't even show a update when I connect it to iTunes. I guess they took it off their servers. I'm glad I was at work.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Apple could have solved this problem easily. They should have released the iPhone 2.0 iTunes upgrade yesterday or the day before to avoid such problem.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    elearnelearn Posts: 18member
    Hello.

I don't know that I'd call the upgrade process a dismal failure. It worked for me. I downloaded the upgrade a little after 6 a.m. PST. By 1:15 PST my iPhone was completely up and running.

Perhaps Apple could have done a better of load testing before today. Perhaps those of you that are contemplating upgrading should reset your expectations and either wait a while longer or have a phone from T-Mobile or Verizon handy for the few hours the upgrade will take.

elearn
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dino View Post

Anywho, I'm waiting on the iPod touch 2.0 software. I've downloaded something that a user over at ehmac.ca posted a link to whose filename is "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip". I'm a little wary of it, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Can anybody confirm that that file works?

That file only works on the iPhone. the iPod touch will complain because you failed to pay the $10, and you will have to then restore the iPod to the 1.1.4 software, accomplishing nothing.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

And finds out that the worm is poisonous.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dal33tdvr View Post

That file only works on the iPhone. the iPod touch will complain because you failed to pay the $10, and you will have to then restore the iPod to the 1.1.4 software, accomplishing nothing.

Ok, cool. Thanks.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Two sayings for consideration:

" Good things happen to those who wait. "

I have always though that

" Look before you leap. "

and

" He who hesitates is lost. "

fit well with these...
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Well, with their complete failure at rolling out MobileMe and this iPhone mess which is, for all intents and purposes, a repeat of what happened the first go around, it's probably a good thing Apple isn't trying to market itself as a provider of enterprise-class services. Best to stick to consumer products, where it doesn't matter when you occasionally fall on your face.

Yeah, 'cause other enterprise-class services routinely handle all the traffic in the world at once
  • Reply 38 of 63
    bikaa-m.bikaa-m. Posts: 16member
    yeah, i waaz one of those 1st gen iPhonerz that got bitten by the iTunes OVERLOAD bug. my iPhone was bricked/disabled for most of the morning, after i 'innocently' clicked on 'UPDATE NOW' to firmware 2.0. the iTunes store seems the culprit...

BUT, after a few nailbiting moments - more like dozens of minutes - and repeated attempts, all is fine again in apple-lalaländ: the update went thru just fine. PLUS all those sweet apps, like AIM, Remote, etc. are THE joy of my day... i feel a bit like back then in the late ninties, when i got all these fantastic apps added onto my PALM Vx... soo long ago \
  • Reply 39 of 63
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

that being activated around the world today.

That should be 'that ARE being activated'.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That should be 'that ARE being activated'.

Sorry, my mistake, how embarrassing! - I meant WERE being activated.