Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    iphelimiphelim Posts: 62member
    Activation server may be slower than usual but it is working now. I just 'officially upgraded' to 2.0 and it was mostly ok, except the restore from backup took a long time.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Server seems to be back up. Took me the same amount of time as yesterday, when i had to reactivate as well. If anything, it was actually faster. Anyone know if the same is tru for new activations?
  • Reply 43 of 63
    I just updated my phone the whole process took like 40 min.

And it works absolutely fine. ^_^
  • Reply 44 of 63
    icd-evilicd-evil Posts: 66member
    Is everybody that is currently getting errors with their 1st Gen iPhone getting error 13?

Edit: Nevermind, I just got error 6 now, but I got 13 at least 10 times in a row.

2nd edit: Now error 1064. This could go on forever.

Is anyone else getting these errors?

Ok, Mine just keeps saying, preparing iPhone for restore and then I get the error messages. Is anyone getting past this and still getting the error messages? Is it a problem on my end?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    icd-evilicd-evil Posts: 66member
    Mine doesn't even give me the option to make emergency calls like other people are saying theirs are. I know what screen that is. Mine just permanently has the iPhone cord going into the iTunes logo on it, nothing else. No slide for emergency thing.

What the **** is wrong with this.

error 13 and error 6, is there and error log somewhere?
  • Reply 46 of 63
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

My phone doesn't even show a update when I connect it to iTunes. I guess they took it off their servers. I'm glad I was at work.

iTunes finally showed the update and I installed it and so far so good. My phone is syncing from the back up so I guess that means I installed the update safely. I'm sorry for the people who had problems. Hopefully when the sync is finished everything will still be OK. One thing, I'm not sure if this means anything, but my iTunes is always logged into the store so I wasn't asked for my password and user name. It just connected to iTunes.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this afternoon officially released version 2.0 of iPhone software for both first-generation iPhones and the iPod touch. iPhone users, however, should not attempt to install the update at this time due to ongoing Apple server issues.

-snip-

Separately, Apple has begun selling iPhone Software 2.0 upgrade for iPod touch for $9.95 via this iTunes Store link.. You can also find the same link to the software on this Apple iPod touch page.

The upgrade will deliver all of features of iPhone Software 2.0 to iPod touch owners, save for the reactivation nightmare. However, since Apple's iTunes upgrade servers are now completely off line, this update is currently inaccessible.

Ummm - so you mean it's not available according to the last paragraph. Stop teasing us with 'officially released' nonsense when there isn't any way to get it. None of your iPodTouch links nor the iTunes update function is working and the latter hasn't worked for the last 24 hours. So, it's officially NOT AVAILABLE.

In fact I get the wonderful message that there isn't any update and that v1.1.4 is the latest version.

Get it right or fix your posts.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I'm able to access the iPod Touch 2.0 Upgrade page on iTunes. It seems that Apple has fixed the server problems.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Yep, it's working now.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Then why won't my iPhone Update?

Mine doesn't do the same thing as everyone else's, mine doesn't make it to the screen where it offers the option for a emergency call, it is permanently stuck at the restore screen. I always get the error 13 message when it says "preparing iPhone for restore"

Any ideas? Is anyone else having this same problem?
  • Reply 51 of 63
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dino View Post

Anywho, I'm waiting on the iPod touch 2.0 software. I've downloaded something that a user over at ehmac.ca posted a link to whose filename is "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip". I'm a little wary of it, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Can anybody confirm that that file works?

The file you downloaded is called iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347, not iPod. It is the 2.0 upgrade for the iPhone ONLY, it will not update the iPod Touch.

And yes, it worked great updating my iPhone 16 GB 2G phone yesterday, without any iTunes server issues. The software that was downloaded could only be installed by Restoring the phone, not updating the phone.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The file you downloaded is called iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347, not iPod. It is the 2.0 upgrade for the iPhone ONLY, it will not update the iPod Touch.

And yes, it worked great updating my iPhone 16 GB 2G phone yesterday, without any iTunes server issues. The software that was downloaded could only be installed by Restoring the phone, not updating the phone.

But the file I downloaded is called iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip, isn't it? I mean, that's what the filename was.

Anyway, the updates seem to be working fine now. iTunes is currently downloading my update as I'm typing this.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Yep, it's working now.

Yes it is now, actually 7 hours ago. So now would be the appropriate time for AI to post their article, not 24 hours before it was actually available.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    If i download the 2.0 software for my ipod touch, will it delete all of my stuff on the ipod touch??
  • Reply 55 of 63
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    It will first do a backup of everything on your touch and then it will erase the device. Once it's done installing the new software iTunes will restore all your stuff.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Did you guys bought the upgrade with a credit card? cause now i cant buy the upgrade with my itunes card, help meeee
  • Reply 57 of 63
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damon35 View Post

Did you guys bought the upgrade with a credit card? cause now i cant buy the upgrade with my itunes card, help meeee

That sounds about right, as I recall seeing something about how when I bought it you can only buy it with new money and not a gift card.

Funny thing is, once you buy it, you can't go back to those screens. Next time, screen shots!
  • Reply 58 of 63
    reeve76reeve76 Posts: 37member
    Ok, every time I plug my Iphone (first gen) into my comp it doesn't even recognize an update and when I click check for updates it says I am up to date at 1.1.4. so does anyone know how to fix this.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Glad I updated my iPhone yesterday. Some of the apps are sweet, some suck, just like all platforms.

The iTunes remote app is insanely great for me. I run 4 airport expresses to spew music in various parts of the house. Now I've got control in my pocket always.

Sheldon

It is pretty unbelievable. I can't even begin to think how awesome it is.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damon35 View Post

Just buy an iTunes Gift Card no credit card required !!