Early iPhone 3G adopters bothered by yellow-tinted screens

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Are you guys sure this isn't just a Coldplay marketing tie-in?
  • Reply 22 of 50
    kglee79kglee79 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

From the link:

Just plug in your iphone to Itunes, then Run the "RESTORE" and it will update to the newer firmware (5A347).

So why don't you update your phone to 5A347 and let us all know if it's still yellow? Good call? Good call. Cheers.

The update to 5A347 was just completed on my phone, now my display is much brighter than my wife's and now her's looks yellow in comparison. With the brightness slider set to the middle on each phone, my display is much brighter now and looks whiter as well, but that may just be because of the increased brightness.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Yuck. Not sure if urine-colored iPhones are more appealing than poo-colored Zunes, but they're definitely a close tie.

Well you have come to the right forum to get THAT question answered.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    I'm glad to wait for the bugs to work out. What happened to PATIENCE ? from ASSHOLYAN.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Sorry, I don't see a difference. In fact, after looking at all the pictures, I have no idea which is supposed to be the old one vs. the new one. My wife looked two and laughed. She couldn't tell a difference either.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Big ups to akhomerun for that post - I totally agree. I'm pretending it hasn't come out yet, and in a week or two I can leisurely stroll into an AT&T store and find no people in there - and maybe even get an iPhone 3G that isn't yellow

Meanwhile, iLounge has extensive A/B comparison pictures of the iPhone vs. the iPhone 3G here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...lts-here/14715
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Did everybody take the protective plastic sheet off of the display?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    jakkjakk Posts: 15member
    Haven't u guy heard about this "Yellowish is the new White"
  • Reply 29 of 50
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I have the yellow tint as well.....ugh.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd? View Post

Meanwhile, iLounge has extensive A/B comparison pictures of the iPhone vs. the iPhone 3G here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...lts-here/14715

Nice real world review and images. It make me want to get a white one after seeing all the fingerprints, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the black one.

The one really disappointing part to me is the lack of FireWire charging. I have been using my old iPod-to-FW400 cables with the old wall chargers for years. Oh well.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That would appear to be plastic discoloration, not the display.

Oh, and speaking of a nation of whiners...

Well, the iPhone's screen is glass, not plastic, so....

Anyway, neither of those screens look wrong to me, merely different. One looks dimmer, but neither is turned up to full brightness anyway.

Of course, all of us viewing on our computer screens are looking at the tint of our screen and of the camera used, more than we're looking at the tint of the phone!
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That would appear to be plastic discoloration, not the display.

Apple touts a glass screen for the iPhone, not plastic.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

I don't even see any yellow.

If you have a mac enter in this key combo

ctrl+option/alt++8

the color switch will enhance the color difference.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    My iPhone looks quite nice. I have a 2G here and a 3G and I noticed the 3G looked nicer to me.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExodiusX View Post

If you have a mac enter in this key combo

ctrl+option/alt++8

the color switch will enhance the color difference.

My Mac doesn't have an alt key!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    It happened to my non-3G iphone with the 2.0 update. its most noticable at low brightness levels, where i usually keep mine.

its particularly annoying looking at photos. the contrast (gamma) seems lifted, too. i hope they fix this.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Just want to share some of the photos and hope to provide some comparison and tracking as reference so people may get an idea what batch they got.

* Model: iPhone 3G Black 8GB

* Supplier: ATT local store

* Production Date: 8482********

* Default firmware: 2.0 (5A345)

First photo was taken under yellow lamp, and the second two took under white fluorescent lamp. When taking the shot under strong flash light, it does turn the iPhone screen a bit dimmer but not yellow. The screen otherwise looked crisp and sharp with no yellow issue.

• Reply 38 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

My Mac doesn't have an alt key!

Then you must have a Chinese knockoff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

My iPhone looks quite nice. I have a 2G here and a 3G and I noticed the 3G looked nicer to me.

It felt smaller than the original one in my hand even though the pics show it's wider.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

It happened to my non-3G iphone with the 2.0 update. its most noticable at low brightness levels, where i usually keep mine.

its particularly annoying looking at photos. the contrast (gamma) seems lifted, too. i hope they fix this.

It's good to have a report that it is probably a software issue.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I find the yellow tint quite distracting. I noticed it almost immediately and now it really bugs me! I really hope it isn't a hardware issue. I'm trying the firmware update through the Restore option to see if that helps. If not, it's going back!

Fussy? Perhaps, but I'm a Mac user, what do you expect!
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Those of you who can't see a difference - maybe it would help to calibrate your Mac's display? Mine is calibrated, and tehre's a HUGE difference between the 2G and 3G iPhones in the article's pictures.

I'm getting an iPhone on Wednesday, as that's when the next batch arrives here in Norway. I hope this issue has been sorted out by then.