Apple delays iDisk File Sharing feature of new MobileMe service

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This was a big selling point of the service -- being able to send direct links to people via email to allow them to download files from your iDisk (like yousendit.com).

Not only is it not there, but according to a thread on Apple Support, Apple has removed the video presentation of the feature from the web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

This was a big selling point of the service -- being able to send direct links to people via email to allow them to download files from your iDisk (like yousendit.com).

Not only is it not there, but according to a thread on Apple Support, Apple has removed the video presentation of the feature from the web site.

Found this on the MoblieMe support site.

MobileMe iDisk Help: Sharing specific files on your iDisk

You can share any file on your iDisk with anyone connected to the Internet. When you share an individual file, only the people to whom you give the URL to the file have access to it.

To share all the files in your iDisk Public folder with anyone who has access to it, see Related Topics below.

To share a specific file on your iDisk:

Select the folder or file you want to share.

If you want to share a folder or large file, it’s a good idea to compress it first.

Compressing or decompressing files

Click the Share File (or Share) button.

Whether you see a Share File or Share button depends on whether you’re viewing your MobileMe iDisk in column or list view.

To send an email with the URL to your shared items, enter the email address(es) in the Email Recipients field, and then type a message.

Keeping track of your shared files

If you want to require recipients to enter a password before being able to view or download the items you’re sharing, select the “Require password” checkbox and enter a password.

Important: Don’t give your MobileMe password to anyone. Others need only the shared file password to see the shared file.

If you want the URL to the shared item to expire so that no one will have access to it after a period of time, select the “Link expires after” checkbox, enter a number, and then choose a length of time from the pop-up menu.

Click the Share button.

If the selected item is already being shared, you can click Stop Sharing to stop the item from being shared any longer.

Give the shared file URL to the people with whom you want to share the file.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Found this on the MoblieMe support site:

MobileMe iDisk Help: Sharing specific files on your iDisk

You can share any file on your iDisk with anyone connected to the Internet. When you share an individual file, only the people to whom you give the URL to the file have access to it.

To share all the files in your iDisk Public folder with anyone who has access to it, see Related Topics below.

To share a specific file on your iDisk:

Select the folder or file you want to share.

If you want to share a folder or large file, it?s a good idea to compress it first.

Compressing or decompressing files

Click the Share File (or Share) button.

Whether you see a Share File or Share button depends on whether you?re viewing your MobileMe iDisk in column or list view.

To send an email with the URL to your shared items, enter the email address(es) in the Email Recipients field, and then type a message.

Keeping track of your shared files

If you want to require recipients to enter a password before being able to view or download the items you?re sharing, select the ?Require password? checkbox and enter a password.

Important: Don?t give your MobileMe password to anyone. Others need only the shared file password to see the shared file.

If you want the URL to the shared item to expire so that no one will have access to it after a period of time, select the ?Link expires after? checkbox, enter a number, and then choose a length of time from the pop-up menu.

Click the Share button.

If the selected item is already being shared, you can click Stop Sharing to stop the item from being shared any longer.

Give the shared file URL to the people with whom you want to share the file.

Did you even read my post?

I know how it's supposed to work, the "share" button has been removed.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Did you even read my post?

I know how it's supposed to work, the "share" button has been removed.

Yes, you didn't say anything about the share button being removed, just that the feature has been removed. You suggested that you can't share files at all, which is clearly not the case

Sounds like they're still working on this feature and trying to get everything up and running as should be. Good news is that it sounds like they have not removed or changed their mind about including the feature because it is listed in the help & support
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

You suggested that you can't share files at all, which is clearly not the case...

No, I wrote "being able to send direct links to people via email to allow them to download files from your iDisk (like yousendit.com)."

And as I mentioned, Apple has removed (most) references to this feature in their video tutorials.

Stop responding. I don't want to receive any more notifications that someone responded to this thread without having useful info to share.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

No, I wrote "being able to send direct links to people via email to allow them to download files from your iDisk (like yousendit.com)."

And as I mentioned, Apple has removed (most) references to this feature in their video tutorials.

Stop responding. I don't want to receive any more notifications that someone responded to this thread without having useful info to share.

I have useful information... how bout anger management
  • Reply 6 of 40
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    I wonder why the removed it from the video tutorials? Not getting a good feeling from that so I emailed support asking why the feature will be back and why they removed it from the vids. I will report back when I hear something.

Quote:

.......Good news is that it sounds like they have not removed or changed their mind about including the feature because it is listed in the help & support

• Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

I have useful information... how bout anger management

Parroting shit that everyone already knows is useful?

I just received notice from Apple that the feature has been pulled. No explanation given.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    This is bullshit:

My name is Mike from the MobileMe Support team and thank you for your inquiry about iDisk File Sharing. This feature is not currently available with MobileMe.

When MobileMe was announced, iDisk File Sharing was mentioned as a feature; however, the MobileMe webpage noted that all features listed on that page were subject to change. When MobileMe was released on July 10, 2008, iDisk File Sharing was not included. I apologize for any inconvenience.

However, you can certainly use the Public folder of your iDisk to share files. You can access your Public folder through the new MobileMe interface. The new Internet address (URL) for iDisk Public folders is this:

http://idisk.mac.com/membername-Public

For more information about sharing your files using iDisk, please review this article:

Using your iDisk to share files

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1774

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Mike

MobileMe Support
  • Reply 9 of 40
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bperkins View Post

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Mike

MobileMe Support

Was he just trying to rub it in?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member

Quote:

Coming soon: email large files

Soon, a new feature in iDisk will make it simple to share files too big for email by automatically sending a message with a simple link that always gets delivered. The recipient will just click on the link to download the file.

• Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Somynona View Post

Was he just trying to rub it in?

Probably!!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple has postponed one of the most highly anticipated features of MobileMe in effort to finally get the new suite of internet services up and running, the company has confirmed.

Responding to customer inquirers, "Mike" of Apple's MobileMe Support team affirmed that iDisk File Sharing, which would have allowed subscribers to easily share large files on their iDisk drives through automated email links, was pulled at the last moment.

"When MobileMe was announced, iDisk File Sharing was mentioned as a feature; however, the MobileMe webpage noted that all features listed on that page were subject to change," he wrote in an email. "When MobileMe was released on July 10, 2008, iDisk File Sharing was not included. I apologize for any inconvenience."

Apple's MobileMe website suggests that iDisk File Sharing is still in the cards, however, and may arrive in the coming days or weeks.

"Soon, a new feature in iDisk will make it simple to share files too big for email by automatically sending a message with a simple link that always gets delivered," the website says. "The recipient will just click on the link to download the file."

In the meantime, Apple's MobileMe support team is suggesting that subscribers review this support document, which describes other ways in which MobileMe users can share the contents of their remote iDisks.

While the majority of MobileMe's other features are now finally online after what has been described as a rather confusing and chaotic launch, some of those features appear incomplete or troublesome. In particular, several users are having problems properly syncing their contacts (1, 2, 3) and calendars (1, 2, 3) with the services' new suite of Web apps. Meanwhile, others are having issues uploading files to MobileMe galleries.

Apple's support team appears to be aware of the majority of the problems, and is acknowledging that MobileMe is "still experiencing some slowdowns" in the early going. The company maintains active support and discussion forums dedicated to the new service.

• Reply 13 of 40
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Aw.. Well not to worry, the bugs will be ironed out like they always are, I think soon mobile me will be a really cool tool for ... well mobility.. I logged in this morning and had a play and I gotta say it's very impressive! Well done Apple, let's get that iDisk sharing up!

(P.S.. I also noted that you can host your own site on MM now, using one of your already registered domains. Spiffy!)

Jimzip
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Hey, everyone. Try Yellow Cup Software's FILE CHUTE. IT IS FAB and easy to use. Its been there for a couple of years and you won't care when Apple gets the feature working.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    one can do it manually!

idisk.mac.com/mobilemelogin-Public/

just send that link! ;-)
  • Reply 16 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Aw.. Well not to worry, the bugs will be ironed out like they always are, I think soon mobile me will be a really cool tool for ... well mobility.. I logged in this morning and had a play and I gotta say it's very impressive! Well done Apple, let's get that iDisk sharing up!

(P.S.. I also noted that you can host your own site on MM now, using one of your already registered domains. Spiffy!)

Jimzip

Yes, just like the ability to target Time Machine to an AirDisk connected to the USB port of an Airport Extreme was "ironed out".

Oh wait, never mind...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yes, just like the ability to target Time Machine to an AirDisk connected to the USB port of an Airport Extreme was "ironed out".

Oh wait, never mind...

What you're referring to is not a bug but rather a design choice Apple has consciously made
  • Reply 18 of 40
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Apple should have put the "beta" tag to this rollout to alleviate the "postal worker like" lashing from the mob. Did anyone really expect this rollout to go without a hitch? If you guys expect a perfect world, ask God to rollback creation and start over.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

one can do it manually!

idisk.mac.com/mobilemelogin-Public/

just send that link! ;-)

Yep, I can do it manually for another 32 hours. Then my family dot Mac / MobileMe account will attempt to auto renew only to find my credit card number has changed and close down. After 5 days of trying to update my number and calling Apple it is still incorrect due to a .. "Server Error".

What totally amazes me is they will not take the information over the phone. I called sales and said 'I want to pay for my renewal now, here is my credit card information' only to be told they cannot do that.

The representative told me Apple is aware of this problem and not to worry they will get back to me in 48 hours.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Once the service is working will it be possible to make a App that can stream mp3s stored on the iDisk?

and perhaps as importantly; will it be possible to get your music onto iDisk from iTunes?

I imagine it is just a matter of time until an App is released that lets you play music from your Desktop iTunes archive on your iPhone.