Next ipod Touch to get camera??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the ipod touch nearly a year old now...I wonder what the second gen version will be like.

If bigger flash drives aren't yet available...what could they add? I don't see the form factor changing.

So whats left?

A CAMERA!

With all the new apps in the app store that use the camera....this makes perfect sense.

I strongly believe Apple will add a camera to the next ipod touch to boost it's sales.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    good idea
  • Reply 2 of 39
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Who knows.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    I doubt it...

That would be like getting a backlit keyboard on a regular MacBook. It's one of those cool features that everyone would *like* to see, but probably just isn't going to happen.

Also, while it might (might) boost iPod Touch sales, it also might detract from iPhone sales, as a camera would place it one step closer to being the same device, just without the phone.

All I want in the iPod Touch right now is the price drop. But who knows how long that could be...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    i disagree.

You could say the same thing in reverse. The iphone is an ipod too. So WHY would people want to buy an ipod touch? Especially since the touch costs twice as much? (without a contract from ATT of course).

But seriously.

Right now there are alot of competing mp3 players adding cameras either internal or external.

My point is, that Apple's iphone WILL NOT be hurt by the inclusion of a camera on the TOUCH.

People said soon as the touch was released last year that it'd canabalize iphone sales. We know that didn't happen. Neither will an ipod touch with a camera.

All it will do is increase ipod touch sales and make IT more competitve with other mp3s....especially for those looking for a new mp3....who DON'T want to buy a phone.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    I'd bet on true GPS before a camera...

but neither seem likely yet.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I think the major improvement will be the price. same with the other ipods. with the iphone at 200 The touch will be reduced to at least 150 bucks and the other ipods will follow...
  • Reply 7 of 39
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtl10777 View Post

I think the major improvement will be the price. same with the other ipods. with the iphone at 200 The touch will be reduced to at least 150 bucks and the other ipods will follow...

No 2 year contract? No price drop.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Updated iPod touch:

1 - The 8GB model will stay for the people that do not have a lot of music but want to surf the web.

2 - Since a 64GB model will be too expensive I can see the 16GB/32GB models change to 24GB/48GB.

3 - iTunes remote capability.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

No 2 year contract? No price drop.

I think they'll have to drop the price if they want to sell any.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    A camera would be cool, but I would give my left, uh, sock for 3G/Edge.

That would make my life complete, except for not having the ability to fly, or see through walls.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Why would you want 3G or edge in an ipod touch? Wifi is ALOT faster.

Doesn't make sense for a non phone. No need. IMHO.

Any-hoo...i still think the addition of a camera would be the best move. Since I doubt Apple is going to drop the price...adding a camera for the same price would at least help justify the higher price.

Not holding my breadth tho. :-)
  • Reply 12 of 39
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Why would you want 3G or edge in an ipod touch? Wifi is ALOT faster.

Doesn't make sense for a non phone. No need. IMHO.

Any-hoo...i still think the addition of a camera would be the best move. Since I doubt Apple is going to drop the price...adding a camera for the same price would at least help justify the higher price.

Not holding my breadth tho. :-)

Because I rarely have wifi available where I am.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I'm sick of crappy cameras in otherwise cutting edge devices.

Unless its at least a 6MB camera leave it out, i have a 2MB on my phone and it is crap.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    The lens is a LOT more important than the pixels
  • Reply 15 of 39
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I think the new iPod Touch should have the volume on the side buttons just like the iPhone.

I don't think a camera is really needed, it is just an iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    There's no external volume buttons on the iPod Touch?

Didn't know that...

Yeah, they should definitely add that feature.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

There's no external volume buttons on the iPod Touch?

Didn't know that...

Yeah, they should definitely add that feature.

I disagree, I like the on-screen touch controls for the iPod Touch. After all, it IS an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

I think the new iPod Touch should have the volume on the side buttons just like the iPhone.

I don't think a camera is really needed, it is just an iPod.

What it really needs is a remote attached to the headphones, like the iPod remote from a couple of years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella

I disagree, I like the on-screen touch controls for the iPod Touch. After all, it IS an iPod Touch.

Meh, I guess I wouldn't really mind. It's no big deal.

I just kind of assumed it had the external volume controls in the first place...
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

I doubt it...

That would be like getting a backlit keyboard on a regular MacBook. It's one of those cool features that everyone would *like* to see, but probably just isn't going to happen.

Also, while it might (might) boost iPod Touch sales, it also might detract from iPhone sales, as a camera would place it one step closer to being the same device, just without the phone.

All I want in the iPod Touch right now is the price drop. But who knows how long that could be...

I have to say the best place to get an iPod Touch from now, for a decent price is eBay. I bought mine off there for only £175 for the 8Gb version, which is £25 under the £200 price tag. Mind you the P&P was £10