Why Don't App Store programs backup to iTunes?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I bought a couple things from the App store on my new iPhone yesterday, but when I plug it into iTunes and sync (i've done this now 5 times) it refuses to copy my purchased applications to iTunes. I thought it should be doing this as backup in case the iPhone needs to be restored... A free app I downloaded in iTunes to copy to the iPhone is listed in iTunes, but nothing else!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Odd, when I plug into the Mac, I get a message like: "there are purchased items on the iPhone that are not in iTunes... do you want to transfer them to iTunes? If you don't transfer them to iTunes, they will be removed from the iPhone." It was actually referring to a free App I obtained over the iPhone... now all those Apps are in iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

I bought a couple things from the App store on my new iPhone yesterday, but when I plug it into iTunes and sync (i've done this now 5 times) it refuses to copy my purchased applications to iTunes. I thought it should be doing this as backup in case the iPhone needs to be restored... A free app I downloaded in iTunes to copy to the iPhone is listed in iTunes, but nothing else!

I am having the same issue. iTunes asked me if I wanted to transfer the purchased items (they were all free apps) and then it did a backup of my iPod, but the apps don't show up in iTunes at all.

Edit: I synced my iPod again and it transfered the apps. It was the 3rd time I had synced it since downloading the apps on my iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Try going to the applications tab in iTunes and select the apps and re sync. I also noticed that iTunes does not automatically move the apps from the purchased folder to the apps folder.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

... I also noticed that iTunes does not automatically move the apps from the purchased folder to the apps folder.

It has been automatically moving them for me. Other than the hours-long wait for re-activation, everything has gone fine on this upgrade for me... and everything seems to be working as advertised/expected. The server issue with activation and re-activation was a HUGE screw-up though... at least form a customer service standpoint.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yes a bit of weirdness but my push mail works! woot it is sexy. Apps, come on......
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesWvr View Post

I am having the same issue. iTunes asked me if I wanted to transfer the purchased items (they were all free apps) and then it did a backup of my iPod, but the apps don't show up in iTunes at all.

Edit: I synced my iPod again and it transfered the apps. It was the 3rd time I had synced it since downloading the apps on my iPod.

Trying this as well. Supar Monkey Balls has not been transferring. Trying 3rd time now.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Yes. No idea. I am tempted to restore the iPod but I am going to lose my Super Monkey Ball purchase?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    OK. Remote is such a brilliant free app.

Looks like iTunes is not talking to the purchased apps on the iPod touch to bring it over properly. Whether you say transfer or don't transfer it is not pulling that purchased app from the iPod touch to iTunes.

I'm sure they will work this out in a few days.

In the meantime, I'll leave SMBall on there. Just don't restore your iPod/iPhone or you will lose your purchased app, obviously...!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I had some trouble too and then iTunes asked me for my password and all was well. Try to reactive your iTunes account in iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Ok it all works great now. I installed a few free apps and I gave it about 5-15 minutes and it transferred SMBall from iPod to iTunes. Now....

RESTORING IPOD LET'S START FRESSSH.

MobileMe Push is kicking ass right now.

Just one last small bug, System Preferences .Mac -> Mobile Me, the Mac is not "pushing up" to the cloud unless I click the Sync icon even though Sync is supposed to be automatic. "Pushing up" from Mac to cloud you would imagine should be quite.... ahhh wait .... it's doing something... hmmm...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Instead of the CrackBerry addiction I swear we are going to see the CrackPhone addiction.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Just figured it out.

Right click on the iphone in iTunes and select "Transfer Purchases"

The first time it only transferred 3 apps. I unplugged the iPhone and repeated the process and everything coped back to iTunes fine.

Apple KB: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848
  • Reply 13 of 18
    maxx66maxx66 Posts: 41member
    I had this problem, but right clicking on your iPhone in the devices list and selecting rest warnings did the job for me.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dbchundbchun Posts: 1member
    the app store retains a record of your purchase tied to the email address used for the account. today i had to restore my iphone, after purchasing Super Monkey Ball, and was at first very upset about itunes not backing up the application. however when i went to the app store, although it still had the price tag of $9.99, when i tried downloading and inputed my iTunes account info, it told me that I already own it and that I can re-download the application for free
  • Reply 15 of 18
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbchun View Post

the app store retains a record of your purchase tied to the email address used for the account. today i had to restore my iphone, after purchasing Super Monkey Ball, and was at first very upset about itunes not backing up the application. however when i went to the app store, although it still had the price tag of $9.99, when i tried downloading and inputed my iTunes account info, it told me that I already own it and that I can re-download the application for free

That's great if you've only downloaded a few apps, but I'd rather not have to go hunting for everything I download (free or paid) - which is about 15 apps for as at this point.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's hard to understand why the transfer to the computer isn't automatic. Isn't it automatic for music purchases?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbchun View Post

however when i went to the app store, although it still had the price tag of $9.99, when i tried downloading and inputed my iTunes account info, it told me that I already own it and that I can re-download the application for free

If Apple did the same with music and movies, I think the world as a whole would feel much more comfortable about digital downloads and abandoning physical media altogether.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's hard to understand why the transfer to the computer isn't automatic. Isn't it automatic for music purchases?

Something is messed up for these few people. It DOES transfer apps purchased on the iPhone to iTunes on my MAC... automatically... every time (I've tried both free and paid apps, not that that should matter.)! My system works the way it's supposed to, so I'd have to assume there's something screwed up in these other folks system/phone that is preventing it. Could be a bug in iTunes that doesn't show up for EVERYbody. Who knows why?