Apple says yellow-tinted iPhone 3G screen deliberate

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Did anyone notice the screen had some friction to it? It isnt as smooth as the old iphone. Is that just beacuse it needs time to get all your finger grease on it?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    It's a matter of preference to me but a warmer tone is preferable in watching movies/photos while a bluer tone favors surfing the web and most apps. To bad you can't adjust it yourself?
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I can attest to using iPods both in bed and sharing the viewing experience, I feel I am not alone.

If your sharing your iPods in bed, hopefully you are not alone.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Or maybe the yellowish hue is the NOW the deliberate choice as complaints surface.

Imagine the recall?

Imagine the lawsuits?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkh View Post

Dude, it's not about the Touch. It's not about the angles.

It's about that the phone on the left, and the phone on the right, are BOTH 3G, both running same software and should be identical.

Exactly.

I tried flipping my wife's 3g upside down and it doesn't go green at any angle.

I have pictures of just the 3Gs side by side. I'll try and post them later.

It seems whatever they did to warm the color went overboard on some phones.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While many new iPhone 3G owners have griped that the device's occasionally yellowish hue is evidence of a defect, Apple has now gone on record to say that the tint is a deliberate choice to improve overall usability.

Ah, so Apple did it to improve overall usability and we thought it was a defect. I guess the griping can now end, otherwise Phil Gramm may have a point about a "nation of whiners"...
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Even if there is variance from unit to unit, why would that be a defect?

The only time the variance would be noticeable would be when comparing two iPhones side by side. Each iPhone still performs every function it was purchased for, and when looking at your own phone, your eye adapts to the white balance of the unit, so things look normal.

Some units may have a warmer or cooler display, and they've decided on a warmer preset for the 3G than they used for the original. But normal manufacturing variance will still result in some differences in the color temperature from display to display--so what?
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Ah, so Apple did it to improve overall usability and we thought it was a defect. I guess the griping can now end, otherwise Phil Gramm may have a point about a "nation of whiners"...

Didn't he also say "we're the only country where its poor people are fat"?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    In the side-by-side pics, I see notable differences... definitely. Two 3G phone screens should look pretty close to the same. These don't.

The thing that inspired my comment: There's a big difference in the brightness settings between the two phones (one is at about 90-95% brightness, the other around 70%?). How severe are the differences when the brightness settings are identical, and the viewing angle is straight-on? Would like to see that as a starting "reference" point.....

Just to clarify, this is 2x 3G phones and an iPod Touch? Not 1x 3G, 1x 2.5G and an iPod Touch?

peace........
  • Reply 50 of 57
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Did anyone notice the screen had some friction to it? It isnt as smooth as the old iphone. Is that just beacuse it needs time to get all your finger grease on it?

initially yes, after an hour or so if playing with it the problem disappeared. maybe some factory coating? idk
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jstaggie View Post

Even if there is variance from unit to unit, why would that be a defect?

The only time the variance would be noticeable would be when comparing two iPhones side by side. Each iPhone still performs every function it was purchased for, and when looking at your own phone, your eye adapts to the white balance of the unit, so things look normal.

Some units may have a warmer or cooler display, and they've decided on a warmer preset for the 3G than they used for the original. But normal manufacturing variance will still result in some differences in the color temperature from display to display--so what?

If there is going to be variance like on LCD monitors and TVs they should give the ability to adjust it. Why should my phone have a greenish yellowish hue when viewed even slightly off angle but another phone doesn't?

Here is a pic of just the two iphones, tilted to EXAGERATE the difference, but even slightly off angle anything grey looks greenish.

• Reply 52 of 57
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Update your iPhone 3G to the latest shipping version to reduce the yellow. Shipping phones have 2.0 5A345 and the latest version is 5A347.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...s-yellow-tinge
  • Reply 53 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I can attest to using iPods both in bed and sharing the viewing experience, I feel I am not alone.

Have you actually got 2 3G iPhones with differing screens there to test, not that you CAN test them as your equipment won't let you, so even if you had 2 3G iPhones to test it seems that for you at least it wouldn't matter, because no-one uses small LCD screens at anything other than the PERFECT angle.

Which Is somewhat ironic considering that as a small hand held electronic device, it would be MORE likely that the viewing angle will not be optimum at all times. but then in your pursuit of being the last possible bastion of perfection, even you are unsure if it is or isn't about the angles.

is it contradiction or arrogance that makes it look like you are taking a dump on someone who can provide some insight, because they have 2 devices that can be compared?

Small screens ARE generally used at almost the perfect angle. There is a small angle of view, and as it's handheld, most people simply hold it so that it looks best, usually without even knowing that they're doing it.

But my other point was that no two screens off the assembly line will look the same. I'm just trying to get some idea of how much variation there actually seems to be. The photo's don't tell us because of the way they were shot.

If all LCD's were so close, we wouldn't need expensive equipment to bring them close to a standard.

This reminds me of the iMac monitor controversy. Some saying that their screens were unusable because they were so uneven. with some people, if they can see a variation, no matter how small, the fact that it's there is too much for them. They then say that it's unacceptable, even though it's within normal specs.

I'm pretty sensitive to color and contrast as that's been my business for many years. But, I try to be realistic as well. I don't expect an inexpensive monitor to perform the same as an expensive calibrated one designed for professional color work.

That's the case here as well. These are primarily phones. They aren't intended for precision color. There will be variation.

Without knowing what the spec variation is for these screens, we can't comment as to whether they meet it or not.

Walter, stop being an idiot about this. If you don't like the fact that I'm interested in accurate testing, then just say that the photo's were perfect for you. Don't you dump on me, because I'm not "dumping" on him.

But when people purport to be showing us something, they have to consider the possibilities. What he said that he did was to photograph them to show us what he's seeing. That's fine as it goes, but it's not neutral.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    jkgreenjkgreen Posts: 1member
    Apple is full of crap. Blue-Blocker sunglasses tried the same thing in the 80s. They were nothing more that yellow tinted sunglasses. The colors were not brighter, crisper or more clear. They were just more yellow!!

Does Apple really think their fans and consumers are that stupid?
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkgreen View Post

Apple is full of crap. Blue-Blocker sunglasses tried the same thing in the 80s. They were nothing more that yellow tinted sunglasses. The colors were not brighter, crisper or more clear. They were just more yellow!!

No, they think that if people are going to be looking at photos or viewing videos on the iPhone, that going to a color temperature closer to the NTSC standard of 6500 K will give more satisfactory results. They're absolutely right.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkgreen View Post

No, but your understanding of this isn't too smart.

This isn't a case of a yellow coating. It's a case of a screen that has a yellower white balance, which can be adjusted in firmware, and possibly some day, by the user.

It's also interesting that the reviewers also seem to think it's brighter, with deeper blacks, and an overall better, crisper look.

Others have commented on that as well.

Are you trolling?
  • Reply 57 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Didn't he also say "we're the only country where its poor people are fat"?

He also said old people don't need food stamps because they eat less. Really. I remember reading this in my newspaper in middle school and being blown away. I say extreme stuff but it's because I care about the world and its people and the only real root problem to me it seems is overpopulation. Phil Gramm is just plain...mean.

But yeah, it'd be nice as tekstud said to be able to adjust the color. Simple solution Apple! Save yourself some grief and returns! Seriously. Half the time they could placate users by just letting us tweak settings. Sometimes they go for it (User-customizable keyboard shortcuts! Sweet!) and sometimes not..Hope they let people control a lot more settings on iPhone. I mean especially things like this that don't affect the use as a phone.

Hm, I have seen the iPhone 3G and its screen seemed great to me. Haven't seen 3GS yet...I'll probably check it out this weekend...